No Pee!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Frightening thing occurred this weekend, my male dog could not urinate at all. Seems he is ill fated and is exhibiting signs of a problem common in dalmatians - formation of crystals in the urine, potentially leading to formation of stones. Poor thing, his urethra was completely blocked by a plug of this gritty stuff. Fortunately after x-rays, ultra sound, a catheter and complete bladder flush, he was ready to go home. Now, however, he is sentenced to prescription diet dog food low in purines (apparently they don't help) and meds to make the urine more alkaline.

He was traumatized, wouldn't even come up the stairs to attempt to go out at all on Saturday. Today though, he seems like his normal self, and he's digging the yummy canned dog food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2003, 04:06 PM

ouch. can't say that my animals have experienced that, but i sure have.

one of the nurses in the er told me it was worse than having children (w/out pain medicine).

never ever want to experience that agian!!

glad yer doggy is feeling better
#3 Old 10-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to hear about your pooch, dawngirl! We get a lot of animals in with stones and crystals, and it's not pretty!

I'm glad that you caught it early enough that treatment was easy. A dog came in a couple weeks back, who hadn't urinated in a whole week!! The owners said "he just kept circling around, but never peed. We thought he was just going crazy." Some people are so dumb.

Anyway, hugs to you and your dog! What's his name, by the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

They make dry food as well that will make the urine more acidic if you'd prefer that. Just ask your vet. I"m glad your doggie is feeling better.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 10-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks all! His name is Elvis. He's on a combo of the canned and dry food for urinary disorders. The vet likes the canned because of the moisture content. Keeping him hydrated and flushing the "grit" out is the key she seems to think for keeping him stone/blockage free. There's also a prescrip. I have to get filled that will help out too, but the vet wanted me to wait for test results to be returned. He seems to be back to "normal" though!

P.S. I could not imagine someone not noticing whether or not their animal peed for an entire WEEK!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page