Some people on craiglist....(Trival reasons for rehoming). - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

http://burlington.craigslist.org/pet/586794347.html

I'm all for re-homing animals because of a real emergency or situation...Then I find ads like this. Gives everyone who really needs to re-home their animal/s a bad name .

I check craiglist sometime to see if anyone wants to re-home fish or give away aquariums, then sometimes I wish I never checked at all because I find stuff like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Heh they're in Ludlow, and based on the people i know from Ludlow, it doesn't surprise me
#3 Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Well It just sounded like she was scared to death her cats would be killed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

That was my initial thought. Then i thought, why move next to a busy road if you have the responsibility of 2 cats? Who knows what kind of home they might end up with in the future. Ah i dunno, thinking too much.

I just had to take a double take on your avatar Gita, it freaked me out!!!
#5 Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I was always amazed when I adopted various fur-babies from shelters at the number of animals surrendered because the owners were moving into houses/apartments that didn't allow pets. When I would go apartment hunting, that was my FIRST question. If they passed that one, then I asked about the price!
#6 Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont think that was bad, she obviously cared a lot for them. I see much worse on a daily basis. Example : 4 month old puppy needs a new home because I dont have time.
#7 Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

There are horrible things on that board all the time. I read one when I was looking to adopt a second ferret and the guy wanted to trade a snake for a ferret, because he bought it for his daughters, but they had gotten bored of it, and now they wanted a ferret.

Sucks for the poor ferret when his daughters get bored of him/her too.
#8 Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I would suggest that this woman just keeps her cats inside...I guess she doesn't view that as an option though.
#9 Old 02-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

Well, I would suggest that this woman just keeps her cats inside...I guess she doesn't view that as an option though.

Yeah, really.

The most common excuse I hear for rehoming (or that animal shelters tell me why an animal was left there) is that they "no longer have time to give them attention"
#10 Old 02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Yeah, really.

The most common excuse I hear for rehoming (or that animal shelters tell me why an animal was left there) is that they "no longer have time to give them attention"

I'm telling you we hear an enourmous amount of crap from people who are moving to an apartment that doesn't allow pets (non negotiable if you ask me, we are a package deal), I didn't realize a puppy was so much work () they are just so stupid.

Keep your cats indoors! It is safer for everyone. Keeps the cats safe from numerous dangers and keeps us drivers safe from having to swerve around your animals that you let outside so you don't have to scoop litter boxes. How selfish!
#11 Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The worst to me is when someone dumps an animal at a shelter whom they got as a young animal and have had for years - because of moving, new baby, whatever. So now there's an older animal (less adoptable), who is no doubt experiencing terrible confusion and fear at being separated from his or her family, and may die at the shelter. The least they could do is try to find a new home themselves, check in on the animal, insist that the animal be returned if things don't work out, etc. But so often it's just dump the animal and move on. I had a "friend" who did this when she had a baby. She's no longer a friend - I found it unconscionable.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know... one of the cats has a "sweat" heart... that could get messy

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah that one frequents often, new baby. That is why I am honestly quite apprehensive about having children in the future. I never want human children to take the place or love of my fur children.
#14 Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosev14 View Post

Keep your cats indoors! It is safer for everyone. Keeps the cats safe from numerous dangers and keeps us drivers safe from having to swerve around your animals that you let outside so you don't have to scoop litter boxes. How selfish!

This works for some cats, but others are miserable and make their caretakers miserable if kept inside all the time. If this woman's cats are accustomed to being outside when they want to be, they may not adjust well (or at all!) to being inside permanently. My sister had a cat who, from a small kitten, was determined to get outside. She would push out the screens in the old house my family lived in, and she'd be at the back door a few hours later wanting to be let in. It wasn't practical to keep the windows closed in the summer (no AC), and we eventually got her trained to meow at the door when she wanted to go out rather than pushing out the screens and leaving holes where mosquitoes could get in.

It could be this woman thinks her cats would adjust better to having a new family and a new location than to being inside all the time with a new location and the same family. But I do agree she should have thought of all this before deciding this new house was the one she had to move to.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 02-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

let's not turn this into another indoor/outdoor debate, please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page