VeggieBoards banner

worms

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Qwerks 
#1 ·
a stray cat has adopted me. he's awfully sweet.

he's been hanging out with me for a while now.

he might have worms, given the fact he's a stray. i dunno where he poops so i can't check his stool...at some point when i get paid, i'll take him for a quick checkup.

i can't get worms can i? i used to work at a vet and had to deal with nasty worm crap often, but i must have blocked it out of my mind cause it grossed me out so much.

i'm just curious...

#3 ·
Some kinds of worms can be transmitted to a human host, including roundworm, the most common. Wash your hands after cleaning the litter box. Oh and don't lick his butt.

My cat had worms when I got him and he redeveloped them a few months after I took him in to get fixed and dewormed. It was really gross, he threw up in the bathroom and I thought I was cleaning up a rubber band he'd eaten. Then it moved...

There are over the counter worm meds too. They usually aren't as good as the ones the vet gives out though.

#6 ·
Definately stick with the vet-meds.

Toddlers and infants sometimes catch worms and stuff from pets...but that's because they crawl around sticking everything in their mouths...

As long as you can make it through your day without accidentally swallowing a peice of cat turd...you should be okay.

(btw...at my last job, every day I would be COVERED head to toe in diseased fecal matter from cats and dogs...even had a sh*t streak on my cheek that no one bothered to mention to me...and I never caught anything.)

#7 ·
heh. okay, i figured it would be rather difficult for me to get them...

someone was just telling me about her cat barfing up a bunch of worms...that terrifies me. Hayduke (what i have named said stray cat) ... has been sort of coughing the past few days. he hadn't been before. he also was sneezing so he might just have some upper respiratory thing..

when he coughs at night now (not often) all i can think about is oh dear lord, he's going to vomit up worms on my pillow.

thanks for the info, guys!

and lovelyperv..ahh to be covered in fecal matter
- the worst for me at the vet was popping anal glands. OH MY GOD!

#10 ·
oh yeah, the fleas. well, obviously, he's a white cat (ha), so luckily i've been pretty successful in picking the fleas off that i see. somehow, and luckily, there haven't been many.

i know the cat is probably dirty as crap but i don't care. he's my only friend here and i swear he's like a little freaking angel who was sent to save me from going insane while i'm here

though i did have a dream about fleas a few weeks ago, haha.

he is so cute, isn't he? i named him Hayduke (after the Abbey character).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.