What's the deal with Petsmart? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
I made a seperate thread, as to not derail the other one that this issue was brought up in. I did a little bit of research, and came up with all the positive things Petsmart does for animal organizations.



This is a link to their charity site: http://www.petsmartcharities.org/

You can search for adoptable pets, donate money to their charities, and read stories about adopted pets. They seem like an animal loving organization to me.



I've gone into the local Petsmart to buy fish, after most of the fish I bought from Petco died. The store was clean, including the animal cages. The employees were also very friendly, and the people from CAP were there trying to adopt out some dogs and cats.



This is a link in response to the allegations that PETA made against them: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....65&p=factset03
Fritemare is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Thalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,902
PETA's strategy is to target one company at a time when multiple companies are guilty of something. It's a good plan, IMO. I think that pretty much any store that buys massive numbers of animals for sale will have these kinds of problems in at least some of their stores. Management will vary wildly.

Because of the inevitable issues with treating animals as commodities, I do not buy any more fish or other critters. You can adopt unwanted animals of pretty much any kind, even fish.



I do buy food from these places, though. Mostly due to convenience. It's too bad there are so few that don't sell any animals at all.



I think letter writing and talking to local managers may be a good way to go, too.

My cats were both adopted through petsmart, and of course I bought a bunch of supplies for them when I picked them up. Most animal groups use petsmart for their adoptions around here.



Like most issues, it isn't black and white. They should be praised for the adoption centers and obedience classes, but the other stuff is unacceptable. We are making progress, but should ask for better, too.
Thalia is offline  
#3 Old 01-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
I boycott all pet stores that sell animals. No matter what good they do with adoption events they undo it all by selling animals at ridiculously low prices to anyone who walks off the street. A good rescue you have to apply, be screened and keep in touch with the provision that if you give up the animal it goes back to the rescue. Pet stores are why rescues are full to bursting and hundreds of thousands of healthy animals are put down because nobody wants them.



Pet stores make no money off their animals, they make all the money off supplies. The adoption events that are held generate revenue as people buy supplies from the store. So not only will I never again purchase any kind of animal rather than adopting, but never again will I give my hard earned cash over to companies who treat animals as commodities. I buy all my supplies online or from pet supply stores. The animals are treated as items, pumped out by exhausted mothers and shipped in boxes that result in many arriving dead.



I just.. I can barely talk about this subject any more, I have seen so much death and suffering in my guinea pig communities caused by pet shops of all sizes that sell animals.





Here is the investigation into one of the main suppliers of Petsmart that article references (I assume): http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/p..._investigation



And then this one: http://www.petsmartcruelty.com/inves...manchester.asp



Or an example of a GP comm thread: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...-pictures.html





Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die
thalestral is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I don't know really know.



We used to have a Petsmart but then the entire company was taken over by Pets at Home here in the UK. (I think.)

I do remember hearing things of live hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs etc being put into bags and thrown into the bins (dumpsters is what I think they're called in the USA) because they're too old to be sold and they need to make room for new, younger, more sell-able animals coming in.

But that was just hearsay so I don't know if it was true.
GhostUser is offline  
#5 Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I remember reading a thread here with a member that used to work there. I can't remember who it was, but they could give you insider information. Hopefully they'll see this and post.
GhostUser is offline  
#6 Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

I boycott all pet stores that sell animals. No matter what good they do with adoption events they undo it all by selling animals at ridiculously low prices to anyone who walks off the street. A good rescue you have to apply, be screened and keep in touch with the provision that if you give up the animal it goes back to the rescue. Pet stores are why rescues are full to bursting and hundreds of thousands of healthy animals are put down because nobody wants them.



The reason I shop at Petsmart is the fact that they DO NOT sell cats or dogs. The only thing they sell are fish, birds and a few have small/furries. None of them have dogs or cats that are for sale. They only adopt them out from shelters in the area. The rescue groups that go out to Petsmart and Petco make you fill out an application and sign forms that state you will bring the dog back to them if you do not wish to care for it anymore. I'm not sure why you would think that Petsmart is the reason shelters are bursting full of animals when they adopt so many out at their stores.
Fritemare is offline  
#7 Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Baby Love
 
Jinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

The reason I shop at Petsmart is the fact that they DO NOT sell cats or dogs. The only thing they sell are fish, birds and a few have small/furries. None of them have dogs or cats that are for sale. They only adopt them out from shelters in the area. The rescue groups that go out to Petsmart and Petco make you fill out an application and sign forms that state you will bring the dog back to them if you do not wish to care for it anymore. I'm not sure why you would think that Petsmart is the reason shelters are bursting full of animals when they adopt so many out at their stores.



Yup The organization I volunteer with does lots of adoption events at Petsmart (http://www.strayrescue.org/). There is definately a screening process and part of the adoption agreement is that if you can no longer care for the animal (or just don't want to) you have to bring her/him back to the organization. They will always take the animal back because they do not want them ending up in a shelter.
Jinga is offline  
#8 Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,186
I think their priority should be to stop selling parrots and cockatoos.

They are demanding to care for, live a long time and there's many in rescues.

When I looked at the PETA page, I saw a cockatoo chick slowly dying. Even if there were not overpopulated, they are better off in the hands of private,specialized, bird breeders.

These highly intelligent creatures don't do well bred on a large scale.
Eclipse is offline  
#9 Old 01-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Pirate Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

I don't know really know.



We used to have a Petsmart but then the entire company was taken over by Pets at Home here in the UK. (I think.)

I do remember hearing things of live hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs etc being put into bags and thrown into the bins (dumpsters is what I think they're called in the USA) because they're too old to be sold and they need to make room for new, younger, more sell-able animals coming in.

But that was just hearsay so I don't know if it was true.



I know someone who worked in pets at home and that certainly never happened in her branch!





although, the pets at home near me has a "shelter" bit for rehoming small animals like rabbits/gerbils.... apparently (i hear from someone in the small animal rescue scene) its a scam. they just pluck the older ones out of the normal tank and say its a rescue. eugh.



I dont agree with petshops selling animals though, no matter how nicely theyre treated its still treating them as stock/a profitmaking object. and the sources... well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post


The reason I shop at Petsmart is the fact that they DO NOT sell cats or dogs. The only thing they sell are fish, birds and a few have small/furries. None of them have dogs or cats that are for sale. They only adopt them out from shelters in the area. The rescue groups that go out to Petsmart and Petco make you fill out an application and sign forms that state you will bring the dog back to them if you do not wish to care for it anymore. I'm not sure why you would think that Petsmart is the reason shelters are bursting full of animals when they adopt so many out at their stores.



its not just cats and dogs in shelters!



currently in the UK theres quite a problem with rats. I know several people who foster and end up owning dozens permenantly just because noone wants them. im sure its the case with other types of animal as well
Pirate Ferret is offline  
#10 Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,489
I shop at Petsmart for food and other supplies. I go and visit the cats they have for adoption, as well. I used to visit some of the bigger birds and socialize with them, when they had them.



I like that they have the adoptions as well as helping to adopt other animals with the bulletin boards they have. I also like that Petsmart doesn't sell live feeders (not sure about the fish). They do a much better job housing their animals, too, than other places I've been. Of course that's not a pet store chain I've worked in so I've never seen their love room (backroom for sick animals).
jenna is offline  
#11 Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

The reason I shop at Petsmart is the fact that they DO NOT sell cats or dogs. The only thing they sell are fish, birds and a few have small/furries. None of them have dogs or cats that are for sale. They only adopt them out from shelters in the area. The rescue groups that go out to Petsmart and Petco make you fill out an application and sign forms that state you will bring the dog back to them if you do not wish to care for it anymore. I'm not sure why you would think that Petsmart is the reason shelters are bursting full of animals when they adopt so many out at their stores.



The problem is not just cats and dogs Guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, and birds are hugely overpopulated. Fish are not because they usually die and nobody gives a sh*t because "oh, they're just fish"



What makes the plight of small furries and birds and fish less important than cats and dogs? Especially when these are the ones most likely to be bought on a whim from a store and given improper care. The number of guinea pigs that don't meet their full life span, die of curable problems, or live out their lives in hutches where they are bored and depressed is utterly heart breaking.



Petsmart holds adoption events to boost their revenue - revenue which is spent on purchasing these smaller animals from atrocious pet mills. Did you know that ferrets in the US have around half the lifespan of those in the UK because of the pet mills you have over there that the likes of Petsmart and Petco buy from?



And Pets at Home is just as bad. Anywhere that sells life as a commodity, puts profit before welfare of animals, and encourages people to house animals in improper cages and feed them improper food (PaH doesn't even sell good quality hay or guinea pig food for example, and the cages are less than half the recommended size for one guinea pig) are disgusting. A friend of mine has challenged them over and over again about their rat care and they just don't care about the animals at all. She runs a rat rescue and around 90% of her animals come via PaH.



Search for petsmart or petco on youtube and you'll see some of the many videos that have been taken by employees of what goes on behind the scenes. The boxes of dead animals, the ill animals given none or improper treatment. The fact that every animal on display in the shop represents another back in a mill being backbred over and over until they die of exhaustion.



These shops do not care about animals. If they did, they would not sell them.



This is no different than being veg*n because of poor animal treatment or because it is wrong to use animals as commodities. I would not buy from a company that tested on animals but gave some revenue to animal charities, for the same reason I boycott these horrible places.
thalestral is offline  
#12 Old 01-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Also, I hope I'm not coming across as aggressive or cranky. I have five gorgeous guinea pig girls that have just as much personality, spirit and soul as any other animal. This is an issue extremely close to my heart, one that I held before I became vegetarian nevermind vegan.



I strongly believe that selling animals over a counter is wrong and that all pet stores that sell animals are responsible for the huge loss of life and suffering before they reach the shops, and the huge loss of life and suffering after they leave the store.
thalestral is offline  
#13 Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
lefty2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 369
Anyone in eastern ct or RI should make the trip to Pet Safari in Westerly. It is the nicest pet store I have ever been to. They do sell fish, and I'm not sure about birds, but the other animals are for adoption. Whether or not you agree with that, I believe the owner is trying the best she can, and is honestly in the business to try and make a difference.



The staff is knowledgeable and they all love animals. If you go to buy food or fish, they take time to talk to you and make sure you are making educated choices for your pets. They accept rescue pets. I get everything there, the store is small, but they will order whatever you want, and it isn't more expensive than petco or other chains.



Anyway, I don't think anyone is near by, but just in case. And I wanted to add that there are some places that really care.
lefty2026 is offline  
#14 Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
leminchyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 474
as a member of peta, i dont like shopping at petsmart. but when they are the only store in the area that carries the food that my lizard eats, i have to go there. if it's between my beliefs and my lizard's care, the lizard is going to win out everytime.
leminchyl is offline  
#15 Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,186
One of the pet-shops here gets all of their small animals from local breeders and sometimes places unwanted/ rescue? small animals for free.
Eclipse is offline  
#16 Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I think their priority should be to stop selling parrots and cockatoos.

They are demanding to care for, live a long time and there's many in rescues.

When I looked at the PETA page, I saw a cockatoo chick slowly dying. Even if there were not overpopulated, they are better off in the hands of private,specialized, bird breeders.

These highly intelligent creatures don't do well bred on a large scale.

I agree! Their selling of birds is the thing that frustrates me the most about Petsmart. They're selling animals to people who haven't done their research, and the employees don't know anything about the animals they're selling -- their own store doesn't even sell good quality parrot food, they sell kaytee seeds. They don't sell good quality dog food either anymore, it's all cheap crap designed to sell fast to consumers who don't really care that much.



But I have to admit that they seem to take okay care of their animals, including their parrots.



I was at a local pet store yesterday (Ewert's Pets in Niles, Mi) and it was so horrible... They had large parrots in 12"x12" cages, with one perch to sit on and no toys at all. Right behind the parrots was a wall full of toys to purchase, but apparently none of them were good enough to give to the parrots they had caged up for sale. My friend who has been going there for a long time says the birds are there for months or years before getting bought and says she's the workers are so scared of getting bit that she's witnessed them do anything to stop it including hitting the birds, slamming them down, whatever it takes. They're all terrified of humans. Several of the parrots had plucked most of their feathers. The cages were filthy and the water was disgusting and the birds were of course fed seeds. But each cage had a hand-written sign saying how sad the bird was that it was an orphan and just wanted to find a home, for x thousand dollars. And that was just the bird section.



They also had a new reptile section, including a large display with a Cayman alligator for sale that had live mice and budgies trapped in waiting to be eaten. The prey was stuck in a corner of the cage with the mice climbing on top of the budgies, and the birds pecking at the mice out of frustration and having no where to go. It was horrible.



Not to mention they had for sale some species of turtles that are native and illegal to sell to the public. They apparently get past the law by claiming to only sell those ones to educators for educational purposes.



It's hard to believe that stores like that are still in business. Apparently it's been family owned for 30 years, and the staff joke about how many times they've been fined for violations.
kpickell is offline  
#17 Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
leminchyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

They also had a new reptile section, including a large display with a monitor lizard for sale that had live mice and budgies trapped in waiting to be eaten. The prey was stuck in a corner of the cage with the mice climbing on top of the budgies, and the birds pecking at the mice out of frustration and having no where to go. It was horrible.



i went to a local pet store before christmas and they had a monitor lizard in a tank that was way too small for him/her. befor christmas, i sent an anonymous letter describing the size tank a monitor needs to live in, along with print-outs from websites about monitor care. i went in there last week and the poor guy was still in that small tank! i couldnt believe it. i guess i'll send another letter.
leminchyl is offline  
#18 Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Byzantea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 732
From what I understand, the Houston area petsmarts (at least on 1960 and in the woodlands) are meticulously audited by the regional managers. Everything down to the color of ink they use on their dog training schedules is called into question.
Byzantea is offline  
#19 Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
It just seems like Petsmart is one of the lesser of the evils when it comes to pet stores. I've been into other places that sell fish, like Wal-Mart, and complained to the management because of the disgusting tanks. I've never had to do this at Petsmart. I've also never had to ***** about the cages they were keeping animals in. I went into a store called Pet Land or something, and they had Sugar Gliders in bird cages RIGHT in the sun light with nothing to hide under. They have VERY sensitive eyes and should never be in sun light. They also need a way bigger cage for how many sugar gliders they had crammed in there.



The only other pet stores that have food are Petco (which I usually shop at) and Pet Land. I refuse to shop at Pet Land because they sell puppies and kittens. The shelters that I've been to don't appear to be over flowing with small animals as much as they are over flowing with cats and dogs, so I would chose to shop at a place that has small animals for sale rather than puppies and kittens.
Fritemare is offline  
#20 Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
That's because the smaller animals are put down first :/



I honestly can't believe what I'm reading *shakes head* A life is a life, and all pet stores contribute to the animal death across all our countries.



I am honestly shocked that vegetarians (for animal reasons) would buy from shops that treat animals as commodities to be bought and sold when there are so many online alternatives.



The reasons you are all giving are so similar to the ones I get from people who say me being veg*n is pointless or that I should just eat animals that are treated well. Or maybe just eat fish or chicken as they are smaller and don't matter so much. Or if they are raised on small farms then it's okay.



Please, research the websites out there that inform people against pet stores and the harm that they do to ALL the lives they sell Regardless of how nice and clean the store is or how "happy" the animals look.
thalestral is offline  
#21 Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
All of it varies from store to store and state to state.



Our petsmart does LOADS for the shelter in the area.



If you want to ***** about a pet store, ***** about 'Alley cat pet shop' in my local mall. Parakeets are severely overcrowded. Snakes are toppling over each other locked in tiny plastic boxes not much larger than pencil cases. Kittens, purebred puppies who are not very old and probably from backyard breeding, and rabbits are trapped inside glass cases on the outside so that small children can look at them and beg their mommies to buy them. There is even an amazon parrot, probably going INSANE by the lack of stimulation, who is used as the main attracted in a large cage in the center of the store.



Many of the fish are dead.



Many of the lovebirds are missing their mates, and are also overcrowded.



That place sickens me. AND NO ONE DOES **** ABOUT IT!!! I seem to be the only person who notices all these things! And people always say 'that's how all pet stores are'. Obviously that's not true.



I just don't get it...
Mrrple is offline  
#22 Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
I'm against all pet stores regardless of how big or small their crimes - just as I am against all livestock production and animal testing companies, no matter how many charities or causes they might donate to on the side.



It's easier to get some conditions better in the large chains sure, but they are still selling animals as products. I back the boycott of all stores as well as writing to many with my concerns over welfare in the meantime.
thalestral is offline  
#23 Old 01-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Beginner
 
AquariaLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 116
Petco is iffy, and Petsmart is the McDonalds of the pet supply world. My grandfather once went into Petsmart, and said all the employees must've come from the fast food industry, since he recieved awful service, and the fish tanks were loaded with dead bodies.



If you want good quality fish and supplies, try a clean looking Mom 'n Pop sort of place. Of course, if you get a bad feeeling about a family run store, leave. I've pretty much given up on the big chains like Petco and Petsmart. The progress these chains are making, though, is good, but slow. We are not being unreasonable in asking for better.
AquariaLion is offline  
#24 Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
PneumaticJawz78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 633
All I can say is that I've worked in a PetSmart (but I hated working in retail), and the animals there were treated like royalty, practically. Since the store focused mostly on the products and had just a handful of animals, we all had PLENTY of time to give to each one. They're all given lots of individual attention, space, and fresh food and water. I used to love another nearby pet store that eventually closed- the people who worked there loved the animals and took good care of them, but there were too many, and a lot of them had dirty water most of the time, which was a shame.



Also, some of the adoptable dogs they had (on Saturdays) were rescued, so.... *Shrug*



Yes, there were a many dead fish, but the tanks were cleaned daily- fish have short lives. The only ones overcrowded were the ones used for food. Other than that they did pretty well.



Pet stores aren't ideal for adopting animals, definitely not (ESPECIALLY with cats and dogs), but there aren't nearly as many rescued birds, or even rodents like rats. Lots of rabbits, though. Always adopt them from shelters.
PneumaticJawz78 is offline  
#25 Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
I just like how our petsmart likes to team up with the animal shelters and adopt out kitties and doggies and sometimes other animals too. :] I don't support their actual sales of animals.
Mrrple is offline  
#26 Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Fish have short lives in pet stores certainly.



And it's possible to adopt any kind of animal, especially smaller ones like rats!
thalestral is offline  
#27 Old 01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquariaLion View Post

Petco is iffy, and Petsmart is the McDonalds of the pet supply world. My grandfather once went into Petsmart, and said all the employees must've come from the fast food industry, since he recieved awful service, and the fish tanks were loaded with dead bodies.



If you want good quality fish and supplies, try a clean looking Mom 'n Pop sort of place. Of course, if you get a bad feeeling about a family run store, leave. I've pretty much given up on the big chains like Petco and Petsmart. The progress these chains are making, though, is good, but slow. We are not being unreasonable in asking for better.



I'm not sure what kind of people you'd really expect to work at a Petsmart or Petco. They don't pay enough for an adult to support a family on the wages unless they're the general manager.



I'd rather buy my fish and supplies from a Petsmart or Petco because they do a LOT more for animals than a mom and pop owned place does. I'm yet to see a small pet store that has a donation jar out for the SPCA, or one that does adoptions rather than selling puppies and kittens. They also have animals, just like Petsmart, so I don't see the difference.
Fritemare is offline  
#28 Old 01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Animosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,024
I would advise against giving money to Petsmart. My mother decided to buy me two guinea pigs from there, One died of an upper respetory infection, We brought it in as soon as it started having labored breathing, They said they'd take it to the store vet right away and call us with any information (ha, yeah right.) Anyway, We never heard from them. They simply put the poor thing in the back room and closed the door, Probably never even bothered taking it to the vet... They insisted we take a replacement, (yeah, animals are items to them.) once again, Scared out of it's mind. (blame the mill it came from and the poor care it recieved) It died of wet tail. It's not an animal friendly store, It's a profit driven store. They want you to think they're a good company by keeping adoptable cats and allowing shelters to adopt animals out in front of the store. They do it so that you never question them, You never ask why they sell other animals, Most people think they are also rescues, You never question their ethics because (oh, they adopt out kitties, they must really care.) it's just another big bussiness, They couldn't give a damn what happens to the animals. They don't even tell you how to take care of them when you adopt them. They don't even offer to show you where to buy a book on animal care, They don't show you anything you need for it, It's all a guessing game, The animals that weren't already sick probably got sick just from being sold to people that couldn't care for them.
Animosity is offline  
#29 Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
I don't think it matters what the ethics behind adopting out animals is. The people who work there usually care about what they are doing, even if they don't support the sales of animals.



Generally, maybe the petsmart company is bad because they have bad ethics. But I stand by my point of view from earlier: They do help the animal shelters even if some of the other stuff they do isn't exactly heroic.
Mrrple is offline  
#30 Old 01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
Animosity, I'm so sorry for your experiences. I'm in a number of online guinea pig communities and the number of horror stories is truly heartbreaking. I wonder if cat and dog lovers would still feel the same about these pet stores that have adoptions if there were cats and dogs being sold still in little cages with respiratory diseases and mites and so on



http://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm



Every purchase you make at such a store pays for these animals misery.
thalestral is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off