foster kittens! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

a few months ago, we started fostering kittens. we are now on our 2nd litter, they are absolute monsters, but cute monsters!

i had a hard time giving up my first fosters(they were my babies). i know the time for these guys to go back is fast approaching.

question for other people who foster- how do you deal with saying goodbye to your foster babies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

how do you deal with saying goodbye to your foster babies?

You get a second job so you can afford to keep them?

I don't have any actual helpful advice since my fosters didn't last long as fosters but I do understand how hard it is! You're wonderful for doing it, the kittens we have from good fosters always get homes quicker than the ones from clinic or other sources.
#3 Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

he he.. i have seriously thought about keeping all of them

at least i can go back to the rescue to visit them until they get adopted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had a bunch of foster kittens. Out of about 10+ I fostered, I've only kept two I think that's a pretty good record, really. The first one was feral and had medical problems that needed special care and needed surgery, thus wasn't exactly adoptable (suckers. I love my Monchichi. He's such a spazzy little love mush now), and the second one I kept I actually did adopt out about three times and no one was willing to keep him so my Mom finally insisted that we not give him away anymore.

That said, how I gave away all the other ones was knowing how it would upset the cat dynamic in my house, and loving my own kitties more than foster kitties, and thinking of how much it would cost to have another cat, and knowing that I could always foster more Kittens are so much fun.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, i tell myself all those reasons and we havent kept any yet so far. but i still cry when i bring them back to the rescue. right now, with our 7 fosters we have a total of 10 cats. some days our house feels like a carnival.
#6 Old 12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Ankle Biter

Just today I took my two chihuahua foster puppies back to the shelter to go home to their forever homes. It's very hard! "Buttercup" cried for me, and it nearly killed me to hand her over.

I've fostered five Chihuahuas this past year, and each time I've considered adopting the dog myself. But I'm so glad I haven't caved in! I enjoy providing a stable and loving temporary home - and I don't want to have to stop that. I have three dogs of my own, and I know that I'm really at my limit now.

I just keep telling myself that I'm really doing these dogs good and if I started keeping them all, I would get to the point where I couldn't take in any more. And I've met every family these dogs have gone to live with - and they have all been just great. That's comforting!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

It's tough!! I don't foster anymore but the last fosters I had were four little bitty kittens and it was very hard to say goodbye. They had bonded with us (the boy and me) and our own four cats. The only thing that saved me was knowing that *my* (ahem) little babies were going to a very loving family, who had decided to take all four because they could not stand to break them up. Had they only taken two or three as they previously wanted, I would have adopted the others in a nano second.

I get attached to animals very quickly (5 minutes tops) but the act of helping them find their homes makes it easier for me to let go of any selfishness on my part (the "ALL MINE, NOT YOURS!" feeling).

Oh, and it helped that I took **** loads of pictures of the fosters and those [pics] are ALL MINE! Hehe
#8 Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I've fostered dozens and dozens of kittens... I worked at an animal shelter, and it was part of the job. I always took the ones that were likely to die, because it's so normal for a foster-mom to get attached to the little lovelies, and be so heartbroken if one doesn't make it that she'll never want to do it again...(and usually screams this whilst throwing a stapler at my head).

If this is something you're going to do regularly, you can look at it like this: The sooner your current group goes back, the sooner you can take the next. After a few litters, you may find you've managed to save a whole extra litter just my letting go.

One foster-mom turned the day into a celebration...she'd bring cookies for adopters, treats and toys for all the other shelter cats, and turn it into a festive occasion. She, and some other adopters, would stay the whole day to tell people funny stories about the kitties, and about each one of thier personalities. <-- Very valuable in making sure each kitten goes to the RIGHT home.

I saw foster-moms get so attached, that they wouldn't bring them back until they were 10 wks or older, in which case it'll be harder to find homes. You wouldn't be doing them any favors...believe me. They would have to spend MORE time at the shelter...on into their "teenage" time, increasing thier risk of catching a disease from the shelter, and making the new home experience even more stressful.

Good Luck!!!

You're doing a beautiful thing!!!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#9 Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

yeah, i tell myself all those reasons and we havent kept any yet so far. but i still cry when i bring them back to the rescue. right now, with our 7 fosters we have a total of 10 cats. some days our house feels like a carnival.

CARNIVAL IS RIGHT!!!

Sometimes, at feeding, it can seem like a sea of little tails up in the air.

One day...there was an extra tail.

I took a head count...and couldn't figure out where this extra cat came from.

It was a stray that had come in through my plumbing, and decided to stay!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#10 Old 12-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

as hard as it is to let them go, i cant imagine not fostering. i cant help but laugh when i catch them dangling from the curtains, or chasing the kitty in the mirror but i have to admit i sometimes look forward to having things back to normal.

the party thing on the day we bring them back sounds like a good idea.
#11 Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no advice, but was hoping for kitten pictures.
#12 Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

he he, i have no pics yet. our great pyrenees was lying on the floor and one of the kittens crawled up on his back and curled up up on him. i tried to get a picture but the kitten moved. it was so cute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page