Roosters eat...cat food? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a huge pack of stray cats I feed. I usually just put their food out on the front porch, and they come and go as they please. Lately, there has been something else eating their food.

I went outside yesterday to feed the cats, and there was a giant rooster sitting on my porch staring at me. I poured the cat food into the bowls (it isn't vegan) and he began eating it right along with the cats. I was so shocked and quite grossed out. The food contained "chicken and liver".

I'm thinking about buying some chicken feed today to see if he will eat that instead of the cat food. The owner died, so there is a huge pack of chickens roaming around town. I assume they are hungry so that is why they have started eating the cat food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

My chickens go nuts over our dog's food. We once put it inside her kennel close to fencing and they stuck their heads through the fence to get at it.

I think it would be wonderful for you to put out chicken feed and I'm sure they'd eat it too, but I don't think that would be a guarantee that they'd leave the cat food alone, if they have a taste for it. Actually, I'm kind of surprised they'd eat alongside the cats. Cats prey on chickens. Maybe they are really hungry, and would gladly eat somewhere else if there was food for them.

Despite what people think, chickens aren't herbivores. They eat insects and small mammals and amphibians (I've witnessed this--practically gave me nightmares).
#3 Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

My chickens love nothing more than sneaking into the barn and eating cat food. Even if you give them chicken feed, they will always willingly eat the cat food. It's a treat, it's new and exciting! It won't hurt them, don't worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

Despite what people think, chickens aren't herbivores. They eat insects and small mammals and amphibians (I've witnessed this--practically gave me nightmares).

They also eat mice! I've watched mine hunt and kill little field mice that mistakenly enter the coop. I've actually found very few things chickens will not eat.
#5 Old 11-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I know few birds are herbivores. Even the fruit eaters will eat insects too.
#6 Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 PM

I know of some ppl that feed their hens cat food when they are going broody (into hatching eggs mode). Chickens will eat just about anything!!! If its cold where you live picking up some "scratch" from a feed store would be good for him. It will help him put on some fat for the winter to stay warm. If he's homeless and you'd like to keep him around set up a dog house (or even a sturdy cardboard box...hell paint it up & make it look fancy!) and he will start to hang out in it if there's food inside. He'd make a great "watch dog" for ya!

I have 12 chickens so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
#7 Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I found it odd too that our cats didn't seem to mind the chickens. They all just stand out there eating together. I haven't seen the chickens in a few days though. They wander around a lot. Once their owner died, someone let them out and they just took off in a pack.

I didn't even think about chickens being omnivores. I totally forgot they ate bugs ha! I was just thinking about how weird it was that they were eating chicken flavored cat food!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page