A cat question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Let me preface this by saying that my cat is spayed, NOT declawed, and strictly indoors- she will always be an indoor-only cat, and this is not a debateable point. Period.

Ok, I am trying to decide something. Though a course of events that I do not want to discuss, I will be down to one cat soon. I will have Kuroneko, my older cat. The cat(s) have always stayed in my room because my dad dosen't really like cats. I always felt a little sorry for them having to stay in one room, but thats how it had to be. However, my dad has hinted before that he would be ok with one cat having the run of the house, and that he would not let her outside on purpose, but hes not going to break his neck trying to keep her from dashing out.

She dosen't make a habit of trying to dash out of my room door, but I don't know how she will react if she notices a door that leads outside. I honestly can't guess what she would do, and I can't figure out any way to test her without risking her getting outside.

Also, my dogs are usually loose in the house. None of them have shown aggression towards her before, but if I don't know if that could change if she dashed across the house for some reason and there was room for them to chase her. I know Xena (one of my dogs) has shown prey drive towards my rats before, so it does worry me a little.

She seems more or less content in my room (she has been confined there since I got her a year ago, and she dosen't fight to get out, but if I leave the door open very long, she will go out of it) but I know she would be happier having the run of the house, and she would get more attention because I spend most of my time in the living room. However, I worry about having her loose in the house. I worry about the above things, and I worry that a well-meaning visitor might let her out if she looks like she wants out. I have never had an indoor-only cat that had the run of the house, so I am not experienced with this. I know I would need to hang a sign on the door saying not to let the cat out, because indoor-only cats are a pretty much foreign concept to the country bumpkins here. Roll Eyes

So what do you think? Should she have the run of the house, or should she stay confined to my room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

a cat should not be confined to one room. if she HAS to be (from your perspective), then i would strongly advise you place the cat in a shelter whenever there is space. they simply should not be confined to one room.

as to whether the cat would run away if outside, its very unlikely, only if she's not comfortable with that environment and wants to get away.

cats and dogs getting on isnt an issue, it just depends on the particular cats and dogs, i couldnt say without knowing them.

also im not really sure in what way you mean house cat. i understand a cat that prefers to stay indoors but what is the trouble with letting the cat outside?

as my first point, cats shouldnt be confined, and they should have ACCESS to the outside even if they choose to stay in. if you cant let her out, she should be rehomed in a more suitable environment, sorry but that is what is reasonable for the cat's sake.
#3 Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
she will always be an indoor-only cat, and this is not a debateable point. Period.

what exactly happened to the cat that makes you think she cannot be let outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael2 View Post

a cat should not be confined to one room. if she HAS to be (from your perspective), then i would strongly advise you place the cat in a shelter whenever there is space. they simply should not be confined to one room.

as to whether the cat would run away if outside, its very unlikely, only if she's not comfortable with that environment and wants to get away.

cats and dogs getting on isnt an issue, it just depends on the particular cats and dogs, i couldnt say without knowing them.

also im not really sure in what way you mean house cat. i understand a cat that prefers to stay indoors but what is the trouble with letting the cat outside?

as my first point, cats shouldnt be confined, and they should have ACCESS to the outside even if they choose to stay in. if you cant let her out, she should be rehomed in a more suitable environment, sorry but that is what is reasonable for the cat's sake.

Are you really suggesting that she give up her cat and place it in a shelter? Her cat may only have one room (right now) but it's getting love and attention and it's not cooped up in a tiny little cage with the threat of being put to sleep.

I won't get into the outdoors talk, as that's a really touchy subject for most people. Mine are indoors with lots of exercise. I think it's safer.

SSS: I feel you on the whole leaving-the-cat-in-one-room scenario. My old cat, Harry, had to be in one room most of the time because he'd pee on anything that was carpet. I ripped up the carpet in my bedroom and put down tile. He was a bit skittish anyway so he didn't really mind being in one room.

What about letting her out and about in the house when you're home and can just keep an eye on her and the dogs and everyone? Then you can let her back in your room when you're not going to be around. It'll get her accustomed to things slowly and give everyone a chance to start mingling. I have 3 cats currently and my youngest, Sasha, stays in my room at night. I sleep with the door closed but usually leave it open during the day.
#5 Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

no im sorry its just not good enough to confine a cat to one room

Quote:
Are you really suggesting that she give up her cat and place it in a shelter? Her cat may only have one room (right now) but it's getting love and attention and it's not cooped up in a tiny little cage with the threat of being put to sleep.

well there are no kill shelters and for the most part ill health is why most animals are put down, assuming this cat is healthy that shouldnt happen.

i dont doubt the cat is getting love and attention to some degree, but that isnt the only proviso of looking after an animals, they have to have a proper environment. i know if you approached a shelter saying you could only keep a cat in one room they just wouldnt let you take the cat.

this sounds horrible frankly, it reminds me of a leapord that i know has lived in a small cage for about 3 years with no concrete plans of anything better
#6 Old 11-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the cat would be happier with the run of the house. I've got signs on the windows of my house without screens saying not to open them because I don't trust my bf's friends not to open them when they're gaming and the cats could walk right out! When my cat was a kitten he used to dart for the door whenever it was open. I put a bell on him so it'd be harder not to notice the cat coming towards the door. Mine don't ever run for the door anymore. They're actually AFRAID of outside, so it isn't an issue. If you think it will be you may just want to make sure your cat is fully vaccinated and work with her to stay away from the doors and if people are over just put her in your room.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

This is just a speculation, but I wonder if spraying the doorway with the stuff that people spray on furniture to keep them from scratching (citrus?) would make her not want to go near it?

One of the above posters was right, cats are more likely than dogs to stay close to home if they do get out. They're just as much of a pain to catch, though.

I agree with whoever it was that said she should have supervised roam of the house for a while. That way you can see how the dogs will react and whether she is inclined to dart for the door.
#8 Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:

well there are no kill shelters and for the most part ill health is why most animals are put down, assuming this cat is healthy that shouldnt happen.

No kill shelters are often full, and as to the latter a friend of mine recently had a stray cat give birth outside her house. She hand reared all the kittens after the mother (sadly) took off and now has 6 lovely, tame, playful kittens to rehome. She took them to a shelter that said they would find homes for them only to be told when she got there that the kittens would be put down by the end of the day (like all the other shelters she phoned said to begin with). She had gone in the first hour of their opening hours and another crate of kittens had already been dumped there. No doubt they got put down :/ Needless to say she took the kittens away again and is desperately trying to find them homes, but the point is that the idea of only ill animals being put down is sadly far from the case. In many countries the overpopulation problem is just far too out of control in many areas. Where I am in Scotland I could find a rescue to take on kittens safe in the knowledge that they would be okay but sadly that isn't the case everywhere.

Having said all that I don't think using the argument of the cat being better off in x environment than y shelter is wise. It's a slippery slope and one that can be used to excuse a lot of behaviour, declawing for one.

More on topic, I think Kuroneko will be much happier with the run of the house. I would get her a collar with a bell and a tag that says "I am an indoor cat, I am not supposed to be outside!" along with your details in case she does get outside by accident or someone sees her wanting out (I assume she's chipped and vacc'd already?). I'd also work with her for the first couple of weeks, letting her go on excursions around the house with you there to watch over her so she gets used to the idea of where her new boundaries are and you can keep an eye on the dogs with her. Best of luck!
#9 Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the cat would be happier with the run of the house. I know my cats would hate being kept in one room, they have the run of the whole house and can go outdoors whenever they please, i personally don't like the idea of a cat never knowing what it's like to be outside

If she does get out, however, i doubt she'll run away, she'll probably want to stay close to home where she knows safety and where food is!
#10 Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with previous posters that the cat should have the run of the house with your supervision to see how the dogs react to her. I also think keeping cats indoors is a much safer choice depending of course on your location. We live near a VERY busy street and are very careful not to let our cats get out. However, when our "furry boy kids" were younger, they did get out a couple of times, and never went beyond the yard and wanted back in shortly. Thank goodness!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#11 Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 PM

There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that I am rehoming my cat, much less taking her to a shelter.

There is also not a discussion about indoor versus outdoor. I have researched it extensively and made my decision. If you want to make a seperate thread about indoor versus outdoor, go for it, but that is not up for debate in this thread. Post any more on this thread about outdoor versus indoor, and I will consider those posts off topic and request they be removed or split into a seperate thread.

Michael2, I'm not going to even respond to the rest of your nonsense because you are so far out in the left field, I don't think you can hear me.

Back on topic:

I appreciate the suggestion of letting her have some free-roam time while supervised.

I will have to think about the collar suggestion. She has never worn a collar before because I worry about her getting it caught on something, and I will look into getting her a break-away collar, but knowing her, she will quickly figure out how to get it off.

Shes not chipped yet- my Christmas gift from my mom will be getting the animals chipped.

She is UTD on all shots.

I certainly don't think she is unhappy now, I just think she would be even happier to have free-roam of the house. She dosen't attept to get out of my room, she loves to watch the rats play in their cages, she loves to bask in the sun, she sleeps in bed with me at night, and at least once a day I tap my shoulders, and she jumps off of my bed into my arms for cuddle time. I taught her this trick on accident- its really cute. I honestly don't think she is unhappy, seeing as she never tries to get out of my room, and dosen't try to get out of the window or anything (clawing, meowing, pacing, etc.). I just know she would enjoy being able to explore the rest of the house, and maybe she would enoy the dogs company, I am not sure. My dilemma is deciding if it is worth the risk of her getting outside, etc.

I think that for now, I will let her out when I am the only person in the house, and when she gets microchipped, I will re-evaluate leaving her out while unsupervised. I will also see what she thinks of a collar with a bell on it.

Thank you to the people who posted helpful, on-topic comments.
#12 Old 11-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i dont doubt the cat is getting love and attention to some degree, but that isnt the only proviso of looking after an animals, they have to have a proper environment. i know if you approached a shelter saying you could only keep a cat in one room they just wouldnt let you take the cat.

Actually most shelters I know of wont let you keep a cat unless it is going to be an indoor cat only.
#13 Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Oops! sorry - I didnt mean to post OT I was just responding to his statement prior to reading all the posts.
#14 Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

You are being massively overprotective of this cat. Michael2 went way too far suggesting you dump your cat at a shelter but he does have a point in taking you to task for locking your cat in one room and just leaving it there. You even admitted you spent more time in other rooms. Cats are living creature, just like you and me, and need care and attention, variety and enjoyment in their lives. It's not right to treat your cat like a stuffed toy that's only purpose it to make you bed look comfy.

Lighten up on the cat, I'm sure, very sure, that she does not need your 24/7 protection every time she sets paw off your bed. Give the poor thing a bit of freedom.

And just a heads up, people are allowed to express opinions here. Controlling conversations to make sure you only get the answers you won't will lead you to a very narrow life. Control your cat to it's every breath, sure, but please don't try and control what I have to say and threaten to sic the mods on me if I don't obey.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#15 Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

If you want to make a seperate thread about indoor versus outdoor, go for it

oh, please don't!
#16 Old 11-06-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

oh, please don't!

It wouldn't be the first, and it wouldn't be the last.

I am open to other opinions and ideas (such as putting a collar with a bell on her, or letting her out for supervised sessions), but not senseless off-topic ranting.

Oh, gee a cat is a living creature? REALLY? Well, thank you for the enlightment! If shes only there to look pretty, why did I go spend so much money taking her to the vet, and why do I bother to play with her and teach her tricks? It would have been so much less expensive and less time-consuming to have just let her die at the shelter with her kittens. Maybe I should have chosen one of the flashy, long-haired calico or siamese kittens instead of an ordinary short-haird, plain black adult cat, if I only wanted a cute animal to adorn my bed. I also don't see why I feed her an expensive permium brand of cat food if shes only a toy.

And for the love of all things vanilla, I am working on letting her out, I just consider things beforehand and try to be as safe as possible, imagine that.
#17 Old 11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

For me - I worry about my cats and if they get outside. For example, my dog does not bother my cats that are inside while she is inside. She even sleeps with them. But if they get outside it is like her personality changes. She has other dog friends and they want to attack my cats. So I cant let them out. They would get killed. Unfortunately, I know my dog has killed a kitten before. I didnt see it but I was told about it. I know she started out playing and ended badly. So, I understand why you are protective and now that you are letting her start to roam about the house, I think that is a good thing. And I would do that slowly and under supervision. I dont trust other people to be as careful about keeping my cats in because cats are quick and sneaky. My cats can run past me so fast I dont even realize it. I also believe your cat is a happy cat. You wouldnt be asking for advice if you didnt care about her and want the best for her so I have no doubt your concern and love is felt by your cat.
#18 Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

skysostarry its funny that you start to randomly insult me.

the fact is you are looking after a cat.

Quote:
There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that I am rehoming my cat, much less taking her to a shelter.

There is also not a discussion about indoor versus outdoor. I have researched it extensively and made my decision. If you want to make a seperate thread about indoor versus outdoor, go for it, but that is not up for debate in this thread. Post any more on this thread about outdoor versus indoor, and I will consider those posts off topic and request they be removed or split into a seperate thread.

do you think you come across as a responsible owner?

ive seen first hand tigers pacing up and down in the cages they live, which is thought to be a sign of madness. i was trying to be civil before, but the idea of keeping a cat confined to one room strikes me as negligence and cruelty, dont insult me, think about it.

Quote:
Michael2 went way too far suggesting you dump your cat at a shelter

as brough uo by someone else, about shelters and putting animals down, i dont know you cant trust them 100% maybe but if a shelter tells you, the cat is healthy so we wont put her down, thats what should happen, really. and i think to look after an animal you MUST have a suitable environment for them. if you have a small house with no garden, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE AN ALSATION. similarly if you cannot let a cat outside, much less let her free throughout the house, you should not have a cat.
#19 Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Your confining your kitty to YOUR room right? The room you sleep in, dress in, spend time alone, etc. I dont think it is cruel to confine your kitty to your room. Do you have windows? I'd make sure your kitty has some windows to look out.

My Grandma, she loved her kitties so much. In her final years, she had Toby. She became too old, sick and frail to live alone and went to live with her daughter. (my aunt) She kept Toby in her room and Toby was quite happy in there. The home Grandma and Toby used to live in was a small RV, so the kitty was used to and content in small spaces. My Aunt's house was a 5000 sq. foot log cabin. I think the large space would have overwhelmed Toby. My Grandma used to sign all her Christmas cards 'Grandma and Toby'. When she died, all the ashes of her previous pets were buried with her, per her request. You know your kitty best just as my Grandma knew her kitty best. Whatever choice you make will be the right one. I know you are a responsible, loving caring pet owner, like my Grandma was.

I am glad you wont take your cat to a shelter, that would be very cruel.
#20 Old 11-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

ok well its great that VB seems to endorse people keeping animals in clearly unsuitable environments and the OP obviously wont listen to my advice. So, starry, ignore what ive said, phone a cat charity, tell them the situation, and see what they say.
#21 Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ok well its great that VB seems to endorse people keeping animals in clearly unsuitable environments and the OP obviously wont listen to my advice. So, starry, ignore what ive said, phone a cat charity, tell them the situation, and see what they say.

And, let me add to my post, my Grandma lived with her daughter and granddaughter (as well as son in law and a grandson), and her grandaughter Heather went on to operate a non-profit cat rescue in honor of our grandmother's memory. Heather did not think it was the least bit cruel of my grandmother to keep Toby in her room. And I myself worked at a Humane Society for three years, and do not see keeping a cat in one's room as cruel.
#22 Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
And I myself worked at a Humane Society for three years, and do not see keeping a cat in one's room as cruel.

why? the idea of it ,perplexes me, to be honest. certain shelters where I live in london will send someone to your house, to assess whether your garden is adeuqte for a cat, and or whether you have a cat flap. i find the idea of keeping a cat in ONE ROOM, just ridiculous, its crazy. its cruelty, i cant believe you worked at a humane society and dont think that.

someone came to you and said they want to take a cat and keep him/her in one room you would not have objected?

out of interest what about keeping birds in cages?
#23 Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:

what about keeping birds in cages?

Yes, lets take this as off topic as we possibly can! Why not get into declawing as well? And fish tanks? And zoos? And breeding?

Anyway, yes, my room has a window, and yes, this is my bedroom, where I sleep, dress, and otherwise spend time in.

And actually, I do consider myself to be a very responsible pet owner. My pets eat the best food I can possibly afford (Canidae, Felidae, and Mazuri), all of my dogs and cats are spayed/neutered, all of them get adequate exercise and the dogs go on pleanty of 'adventures.' I don't get my cats declawed, I keep them indoors (ironically, I believe that is the responsible thing to do - we need to agree to disagree ), and all animals stay up to date on shots. They will be getting microchipped, and they are all rescues.

Also, I look into things and weight the consequences versus benefits before jumping into things. I researched, debated, and thought long and hard about indoor versus outdoor. I researched declawing and decided against it. I researched the best time to spay/neuter, and I researched what the best food is to feed. I heard about overvaccinating, and right now I am looking into it and trying to decide what is best for them. I haven't decided yet, but know when I do decide, I will make the decision on what I believe will be best for my pets.

My cat is perfectly happy in my room, and it would have been easy just to leave it at that, but I saw the opportunity to make her even happier than she already is, and I am looking into it and making sure it is safe. I want to do everything possible to make my pets as happy and healthy as they could possibly be.

I didn't want this to be some dramatic, those-crazy-vegans-are-at-it-again type of thread. I just wanted suggestions or ideas on how to make my cat as happy as possible while still keeping her saftey as a priority.

If you truley think my animals are abused or neglected, you are badly mistaken, and I don't have much else to say to you.

Thank you to those who have been able to express thier opinion without getting too crazy or insulting.
#24 Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont doubt you have very good intentions and care about the animals. but thats not the issue, its whether you're doing the right things. when i was a little younger, i came home one day with an alsation, without telling anyone (they wouldnt let me get a dog so i decided for myself lol) , and couldnt bring her to my mums house because the cats freaked out. so she and i moved to my dads. this is a 3 bedreem smallish house. a colleague of my dad was and still is president of some labrador society, came over, and told me that the dog couldnt stay in this house because it was too small.

being young and happy to finally have a dog, i listening to but ignored the advice. my dad wasnt too bothered, so the dog stayed. ive no doubt whatsoever that the dog was very happy during that time, i walked her twice a day, and she seemed to behave very well. however, (the dog is has since been rehomed) on reflection that was irresponsible to keep the dog in that environment, it was adequate, but not really acceptable. im sure your room is adeuquate and the cat may seem, or may be happy, but trust me, one room is NOT acceptable for a cat. she should have free roam of the house. if that isnt possible, she should live somewhere else.

indoors/outdoors i can understand, because cats are often run over. sometimes cats who are let in the garden would stay there and not wander into the street, and can be discouraged in various ways from going into the streets, other cats WILL wonder and that can be a danger to them, its something that has to be assessed case by case. that is a more reasonable point of contention.
#25 Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 PM

You are free to believe what you want, and perhaps we should agree to disagree.
#26 Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Cooped up in one room is not acceptable for a cat, no. It's good you are finally thinking of her welfare but seriously, a year before you consider even letting her out of your room? That's just overkill. I'm just stunned it took you a year to start thinking of your cat's welfare and place of abode. You may be loving but you are very, very overprotective and controlling.

Yes, it's good to rescue cats for shelters. No, it's not good when you don't consider beforehand where you will keep your cat, and to have a cat for up to a year without properly considering where you keep him or her. I'm not getting "crazy or insulting" but it just narks me up to the teeth to see people who see animals as nothing more than stuffed toys to lock in a cage or room and take out on occasion to be admired or to look pretty.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#27 Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 AM

karen has started a new thread here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=79168

However, I would offer that michael's comments, though passionate, were not off topic, since the op asked "So what do you think? Should she have the run of the house, or should she stay confined to my room?".

Skysostarry, Kiz is correct when she says that people are allowed to express their opinions here. Since that doesn't seem to be what you're interested in (which, granted, is your call), and there is another thread on the subject of "one room" pets, I'm closing this one.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page