What happened to my dog's paw? Pictures. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

This morning when I took her out for a jog, she was fine, no limping or anything.

After jogging for a while, I saw her holding her back paw in the air.

This definitely didn't happen during our jog, because I saw her licking her paw before we went for a run. I didn't think much of it because she often licks herself dry after it rains (she likes going outside in the rain.)

Any ideas what it is? I will take her to the vet if it doesn't get better in a day or two.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/100_3031.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/100_3033.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, poor puppy...I have no clue...it looks like there's a black dot in the center...could she have been bitten by something? Or maybe stepped on a bee?
#3 Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the black dot was just a piece of dirt stuck to the wound.

I cleaned it though, don't worry.

She might have stepped on a bee. Or a sharp rock or something.

Hopefully the redness is gone by tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Looks like a bite, possibly an allergic reaction to a bite.
#5 Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It looks like she she stepped on something. No blood though right? Hum... How long has it been there? Looks more like she got stung and it's all puffed up because she's allergic to the stinger. Watch it. When she licks her foot it means it hurts. That does not apply to everytime she licks herself though. If she licks her foot more than usual it hurts and she needs to got to the vet so they can fix her up. Watch her breathing too in case she's really allergic. She may not be able to wait a day or two to get in with an appointment.
#6 Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Good news!

It's getting better everyday, and the redness is gone!

I'll keep watching it to make sure it's healing.
#7 Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay. Looked like it hurt a bit. Happy that it's going away.
#8 Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Hooray for the puppy!
#9 Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

This looks similar to when my dog goes on walks that were too long. Her feet just don't last on the sidewalks sometimes, and she'll end up with sores on one or more feet. Once in awhile it would bleed. I just started paying better attention and not taking her on long walks on rough pavement if she hadn't been out frequently enough to build up the pads, and if she did get a sore, I waited for it to heal before taking her out on pavement again. I think she just has tender tootsies! For temporary use you could put toddler socks on her (they tend to slip off) or get doggie shoes.

When it's really raw you can apply triple antibiotic ointment (get the kind w/o pain reliever in it b/c they're not supposed to ingest that and we know how they lick!) and put a sock over it if she keeps bothering the area.
#10 Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

My dog got something like that once too. We kept an eye on it and it got better on its own in a few days.
#11 Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been soaking the paw in salt water. Is that beneficial?

DieselAmy, you may have a point there. It looks like a quarter of the pad is gone, and a red bump appeared. Maybe it got infected.

It started bleeding yesterday, so I cleaned it with salt water and put on Neosporin.

She's being very patient with me, I'm sure it hurts a lot!
#12 Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know about the salt water whether it's good or bad. My dogs pad came half way off one time due to her racing out the door. We had aquired a family of groundhogs in the begining of the summer and Lilly just wasn't too fond of another animal in her yard. They fortunatly wandered on to another yard. Anyway we put triple antibiotic on her paw to make sure no infection set in for a cupple of days then I put baby oil on it to keep it soft. Just a dab so she wouldn't go slipping and sliding on the wood floor. But that helped wonders. In about a week or so her pad was back to normal and you couldn't even tell it had ever happened.
#13 Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 PM

I wouldn't wait any longer, you should take her to the vet as soon as possible. The salt water will make her wound sting and hurt even more. If she gets an infection your asking for more trouble and more money to be spent. Good luck!
#14 Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Beginner

I agree with above except:...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabriel_Paws View Post

The salt water will make her wound sting and hurt even more.

Actually salt water/saline solution is quite alright and recommended by vets.

It doesnt hurt like sea water and human cuts do.

I fix most of my cats wounds myself and use salt water to keep them clean. The cat doesn't mid at all (Im not sure if they are maybe more hardy than dogs when it comes to salt water though)
#15 Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_Windsor View Post

I agree with above except:...

Actually salt water/saline solution is quite alright and recommended by vets.

It doesnt hurt like sea water and human cuts do.

I fix most of my cats wounds myself and use salt water to keep them clean. The cat doesn't mid at all (Im not sure if they are maybe more hardy than dogs when it comes to salt water though)

That's good to know.

The salt water really seems to be helping. Her paw isn't raw and bleeding anymore!
#16 Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

This morning when I took her out for a jog, she was fine, no limping or anything.

After jogging for a while, I saw her holding her back paw in the air.

This definitely didn't happen during our jog, because I saw her licking her paw before we went for a run. I didn't think much of it because she often licks herself dry after it rains (she likes going outside in the rain.)

Any ideas what it is? I will take her to the vet if it doesn't get better in a day or two.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/100_3031.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/100_3033.jpg

I would guess your dog stepped in some fertilizer for grass or plants which can and does burn their pads. She licked it and chewed on it which made it worse.

The vet could give you some oinment to put on it, but it sounds like she/he is already getting better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page