HELP! my cat isnt peeing in litterbox! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

so my kittie is almost a year old, shes been spayed, and never had a problem with her. for the last month or so she would poo outside the litterbox then push it around into a nice little pile. i can live with this weird fetish of hers lol.

the last couple days we are waking up with pee all over our couches from her and have no idea whats going on?

p.s the litterbox is clean and its not like it was gross for her to go in. :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...ox&btnG=Search
#3 Old 05-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

She should see a vet. It is possible for a cat to associate the litter box with pain if they have some sort of infection. Pam Johnson-Bennett, author of "Think Like a Cat" says that if a cat feels pain when they try to pee in the box, they may seek out other areas, hoping that they won't feel pain there.

If you get her checked and rule out medical problems, then you can focus on the behavioral side of it. You might also want to get some Nature's Miracle to remove the odors. Traditional chemical products usually leave enough of the odor so the cat can still smell it, and she will keep going back there.

Also consider whether there have been any changes in the household recently. Even something as simple as rearranging furniture can stress some cats out. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

You should take her to the vet in case anything is wrong. If she is healthy than I highly suggest you buy Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter, it has natural phermones, every cat I've known with a problem used this litter and the problem was solved. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Elseys-Prec...0018317&sr=8-1

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1180018248162
#5 Old 05-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

When my cat did that it turned out he had those crystals. It's usually a male problem but females can get it too.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#6 Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah bring her to the vet and check a urine sample to rule out an infection/crystal problem. If thats normal you know its a behavioral issue, and your vet should be able to help you with that too. considering she is defecating outside the box too this sounds likely.

do you have a lot of cats? sometimes it can be a dominance issue.
#7 Old 05-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLadyVT View Post

She should see a vet. It is possible for a cat to associate the litter box with pain if they have some sort of infection. Pam Johnson-Bennett, author of "Think Like a Cat" says that if a cat feels pain when they try to pee in the box, they may seek out other areas, hoping that they won't feel pain there.

My cat went outside the litterbox both #1 & #2, turns out he was horribly constipated, as it hurt trying to "go", he would eliminate elsewhere in the house. Once I took him to vet and adjusted what he was eating (as well as using Lactulose for the constipation), he now uses his litterbox again..
#8 Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

definitely have a vet look at her. My oldest cat recently has a urinary infection and she would always pee on smooth cool surfaces. now that the infection has been taken care of, she still has a bit of a habit of inappropriate peeing...

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page