Cat needs home in IL - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Beginner

Hi I am posting this here bc i trust you guys. I have a cat to give away to a good home. She needs medical attention, she has a nasty rash on her back it might just allergies but we don't have enough money to care for her we already have like 10 cats and 2 dogs. She just came into our house one day and we found her owners and gave her back but she kept comming to our house and last time we went to take her back the people had moved. There is also the problem that she will "mess" in any clothes lying on the floor b/c she is declawed (prevous owners) she has to have a special litter. But aside from this she is a sweet heart who gets along with all our animals and kids, she is a grey and white domestic long hair. So shes free to anyone on here that has had an account for awhile or at least past this post date. Our animal shelter is very quick to put animals down. I know b/c i worked there. So I don't want to take her there but she is suffering so I'm going to try this first. Just post back to me if you can help. I live in Cook County IL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM

You might try www.petfinder.com. I know it's not the same as giving her to someone you know, but it's better than a shelter.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

you are near Chicago? If you can't find anyone, you might want to try contacting Tree House Animal Foundation and see if they have space. They take in homeless cats and they are a no-kill shelter. Sounds like the kitty was abandon by its previous owners. They moved and didn't even come to find it. That is horrible.

http://www.treehouseanimals.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a FYI: not all of the "no kill" shelters are really no kill.
#5 Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that Tree House is for sure because I used to work there. So, I think they will be very safe to call in case you need to.
#6 Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I know that Tree House is for sure because I used to work there. So, I think they will be very safe to call in case you need to.

oh, good!
#7 Old 02-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that Tree House is very small and seem to take only really helpless cases. If you're in Chicago, I think that the Anti-Cruelty Society on Lasalle & Grand is a really great place. I got all 3 of my kitties there. They screen adopters carefully and place animals quickly into good homes. Everytime I've gone, even when I come back the next day, I don't recognize any of the cats. They are for sure no kill, I know one of the vets pretty well.
#8 Old 02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva-bo-beva View Post

I know that Tree House is very small and seem to take only really helpless cases. If you're in Chicago, I think that the Anti-Cruelty Society on Lasalle & Grand is a really great place. I got all 3 of my kitties there. They screen adopters carefully and place animals quickly into good homes. Everytime I've gone, even when I come back the next day, I don't recognize any of the cats. They are for sure no kill, I know one of the vets pretty well.

The Anti-Cruelty Society euthanizes.

Tree House will take cats that have been abandoned by their owners like if they move and abandon the animal or the owners die.
#9 Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

The Anti-Cruelty Society euthanizes.

Tree House will take cats that have been abandoned by their owners like if they move and abandon the animal or the owners die.

I still think that anti-cruelty is a better choice due to the foot traffic, I had never even heard of Tree House before a store owner sent me there to buy a cat tree from them. I've been to a lot of cat shelters and know a lot of people who work in the field. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Anti-Cruelty euthanizes a small amount of animals that are not fit for adoption. I think that they do a great deal of good. Are you saying that you think that they euthanize on a regular basis?
#10 Old 02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

You could also try strays in the garden, paws, TLC in Lockport, also plainfield humane society. What part of Cook are you in? I'm at the far south end and familiar with some in my area. I can't take on another cat right now (and I have many others that I could take anyway). You could also check at vets in your area, many will do work with rescue organizations and may know of more no kill ones in your area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page