Worried in advance about summer holidays - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Thinsg are becoming complicated...

Our cat is 15, soon to be 16. She's had one seizure before (blood clot or something of the sort) but is now totally OK again.

Usually until now, when we went away in the summer (for 2 weeks), my parents (who live nearby) would come every day and feed her and talk to her.

Now however we may be moving away before the summer holidays and our actual holiday is already booked and is longer than usual. My parents will not be able to come and take care of the cat. No one I know can take her in for 3 weeks. So I am now looking at the possibility of putting the cat in a specialized kennel for that time... not knowing what this will do to her, at this age, just after moving to a new house !

I think if I look for a good kennel that does exclusively cats, she'll be OK. Of course she might not even be alive by this summer, but I think she will. We were not planning to move so soon and it may not happen that soon anyway, but chances are it will... I'm afraid she may get depressed and refuse to eat...

Has anyone had any experience with this ? Any advice ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I was a pet sitter for a few years before I moved upstate. I worked at the vet's office and people would hire me either to come into their home a few times a day, or LIVE in their home while they were gone. One of these may be an option for you. Speak to your vet's office to see if they can recommend someone. Regardless of what the kennel is, cats tend to do very poorly being kenneled if they haven't been their whole lives. It's stressful. It smells weird. Look into home care, if you can.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 02-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes that is an option too. I know where to find ads of pet sitters (though not house sitters). But she would be in an entirely NEW house where she has no past with us. That worries me.

I will, in any case consult the vet about this. He lives very nearby (just around the corner) and knows the area quite well.

I may be able to ask our old neighbor (current place) to take the cat in for a few weeks after we've moved, because then the cat wouldn't lose her bearings so much... but then I am afraid she'd know "her" old house is empty and wonder where we have gone... and the neighbor is in her eighties and has just been in hospital for 2 months, it's kind of hard to ask this of someone you don't want to burden (though the cat might give her company too). It's all so complicated, darn ! I must hope some solution comes to the surface before then...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

If you are intending to move away so close to the holidays that your cat will not have time to acclimatize to her new surroundings and be comfortable with a sitter looking after her there, might it be possible for her to move in with your parents from when you move out until the end of your holidays?

I seccond the "do not put in kennels" vote. I have been involved with some (which had good reputations and were considered among the best in the area) and saw and heard some pretty bad stuff, and that combined with the fact that your cat needs special care and has no experience of that kind of environment means that I would reccommend pretty much any other option over kenneling.
#5 Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I worked in a cattery for two years, and we were considered the best in the area, but I still wouldn't have recommended putting an old cat that was ill in there. Most cats find it very unsettling and scary if they aren't used to it, if they don't bring their own food that can upset them, the medication gets done but I spend many hours having to figure out how to get the cat to eat it (since we had shifts and couldn't just wait until later on) and I suspected that some of my colleges never bothered that much. We had a special section for older/unwell cats but it was still obviously stressful for them, and if I'm honest, me too, I worried every time I went in there that one would have died and I'd have to call the owners about it.

I don't want to sound like I'm accusing you, but with the house move and considering your cats health, was it the best idea to book a holiday that was even longer than usual? If she does make it to another year that's something to think about.

I'd consult your vet, but I think queenarmadillo had the best idea of moving her in with your parents for a while if you can, even if she doesn't know the house she'll at least know them and they'll be more aware of her routine than anyone else.
#6 Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I think things will be OK. The move may be delayed another couple of months as things are going now.

Thanks fro your views on the cattery business. I am glad some of you have real experience with this stuff...

Shantih, we booked this holiday 2 months ago, well before we had any idea we would be moving at this time of year ! So is life, I guess... but I think as things look now we will be able to let her stay in our "old" house and be visited daily by either my parents or friends who live nearby. The holiday is quite necessary too, as we only go away once a year and I suffer from an autoimmune disorder that is mostly stress-induced, so I really need some time off... I think once we've moved we won't even be going away summers for a couple of years because the new house has a huge garden (if we get to actually buy it ! things are to be decided within the coming week).
#7 Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with your new house. I'm sure that your cat will get used to it very quickly when you do move, because I'm assuming you'll still have all the same furniture, which I think is the important thing for cats when you move house because it will all still smell the same.
#8 Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Still don't know how it's going to turn out timewise but things are moving really fast. We might be moving in the first half of June... As it looks now, I can only hope I become friends with the new neighbours real fast !! Yes, we'll keep all our old furniture and add some new (house is bigger than the current place). So the cat would have her usual stuff, also I won't wash her blankets or cat pillows. We'll see. I keep telling myself I must have faith. This cat has lived with me for almost 16 years, in 3 different places now, this will be the 4th place... and I've always been able to let her go out on the second or third day after the move, she's always been pretty smart about finding where we are after some exploration !
#9 Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

How much money are you out if you cancel this vacation?

ETA: Oh, sorry I missed the part about the autoimmune disorder.
#10 Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Errr... cancelling the vacation would cost rather a lot of money (we splashed, because my husband just inherited some money and we wanted a really good holiday for once...). Like errr... about 10,000 dollars ?! Sounds extravagant, I know. We don't usually do that. But anyway. There it is...

I'm sure something will come up to solve it. A friend will offer to keep the cat for a few weeks or something of the kind. She's a brave little cat, she'll be OK. Up until 8 years ago I used to go away for 6 weeks at a time and a neighbour would feed her and she'd be fine.
#11 Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

OK well... it seems all settled now in a timeline. We'll be moving sometime in June. That would give us over a month to get the cat acquainted with her new home. I am going to try and find someone local to come in and take care of her in the house. It just seems like the right thing to do. If that doesn't work, I'll find her a nice cattery. It's for 3 weeks. I know she can hang in there for 3 weeks. She's smart. I've been coming home every single time in the past 15 years, she'll know I'll come home this time too !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page