Moving into a small apartment with a dog! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 PM

I will be moving out of my parents house soon, and into the city, with a new job and a new apartment. I plan on taking my Yorkie-Poo along. The thing is, he's never lived in a small space. And has always had access to a backyard pretty much whenever he felt like going out.

So things will be much different in the new apartment. I would take him out for a walk before work in the mornings, after I got home from work in the evenings, and maybe once out again before bed time. He's never been on a schedule, so I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for that?

I will also be putting him in a crate during the day when I am away at work. We tried the crate thing when he was a puppy and he would not STOP wailing for hours on end, until he was let out. We would ignore him of course but we ditched crate training after a week and a half cuz it just wasn't working out for him. So now, I'm terrified about putting him back in one. But I figure it is the best thing to do in a new apartment. He is a barker and I figure if I keep him in a crate in my bedroom with the door shut he will be less likely to hear the traffic out in the hallway and thus less likely to bark and become a nuissance to the residents of the apartment building.

He always sleeps with me on my bed, so at nighttime I will continue to let him do that.

I'm kinda nervous but optimistic about the whole thing, and would love to hear any suggestions and tips that you guys may have. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I am not terribly well informed on crating dogs, never having had to do it, but intending to permenantly keep on in a crate all day seems a bit extreme? I thought usually they stayed in all day until they learned it was their "safe place" and then were let out through the day with access to the crate.

Also, if crating caused him to "wail" as a puppy, it doesn't really seem like a sure-fire way of getting him to keep quiet all day now.

Taking a known barker into an appartment may be asking for trouble anyway. Will you have a couple of weeks to spend with him in the appartment to work on training him not to bark before you start work? If not, perhaps you should start work on crate training him now so that his first act in your new home wont be to upset your neighbours. Perhaps then you could shut him in your bedroom away from the traffic, and with access to his crate and that might help.

Also, there are a lot of people on here who have said positive things about the hormone release plug-ins, which might help him feel more secure and reduce barking.

If your dog has never had to "hold it" all day, then teaching that now might be a challenge. My best suggestion would be to make sure there is lots of newspaper in his crate in case of any "accidents" and move on from there. That also might be a good thing to work on whilst youre still at your parents'--gradually increase the length of time he has to wait between toilet breaks so it doesnt suddenly come as a shock to him when you move out.
#3 Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

What are you reasons for wanting to put him in a crate, rather than just loose in your bedroom? I would start acclimating him to a crate now, before you move. Feed him in a crate, give him treats in the crate, and play with him the crate. And lock him in the crate for random periods of time, and even when you're not leaving the house. If you only put him in a crate when you're leaving then he'll start to become anxious about going in a crate, rather than calming down.

As for city life, regular walks are essential. But you should also look into what resources the city has as far as a dog park, doggy daycares, and other places where he can run and be a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

You can use potty pads so he doesn't have to hold it all day.
#5 Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM

I forgot to mention the reason for crating him: he gets destructive.

I probably wont' end up crating him (I dread the wailing), but rather just keeping him in my bedroom with the door closed. I will have to keep things out of reach though.

We have started training him on "holding it" now, so far so good; no accidents.

Thanks for all your help.
#6 Old 02-06-2007, 01:12 PM

Oh, of course, whenever I am home he will have free-range of the apartment, I thought that was obvious, I would never have confined him all day long.
#7 Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If he's destructive, it may be that he needs more mental stimulation, or he could be looking for attention. Dogs often will get into things as a way of grabbing our attention, even if the attention they receive from us is negative, such as an owner scolding 'bad dog.'

Have you tried any working toys with him? You might be surprised how long a well-stuffed kong can keep a dog's brain stimulated and keep him or her out of 'trouble.' They also make a kong dispenser, which gives a fresh kong to your pet at various intervals (which you set) during the day.

If you need more information on kongs and working toys, let me know.

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#8 Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganesse View Post

I forgot to mention the reason for crating him: he gets destructive.

I probably wont' end up crating him (I dread the wailing), but rather just keeping him in my bedroom with the door closed. I will have to keep things out of reach though.

We have started training him on "holding it" now, so far so good; no accidents.

Thanks for all your help.

Okay. I crate two of my dogs when I'm working also, one because of destructive habits, and one because he'd kill my cats otherwise. If you do the bedroom route, you'll still want to the do the same type of acclimating that I described for crate training. I also would not leave down water when you're gone as it'll encourage peeing. Small breeds do have trouble holding it for long periods of time. If you can come home at lunch that would be ideal, otherwise you may need to use the puppy pads Marie mentioned.

Look into Comfort Zone also to help end the anxious barking.
#9 Old 02-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

as long as you exercise your dog (walks) he/she should do fine in an apartment. I have a big backyard and still do a minuim of two 45 + minute walks a day, once before work in the morning and once in the evenings on days off we will make one during the middle of the day.

fill a kong with peanut butter in the morning when you leave for work, that should keep the dog occupied for awhile.
#10 Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheart View Post

If he's destructive, it may be that he needs more mental stimulation, or he could be looking for attention. Dogs often will get into things as a way of grabbing our attention, even if the attention they receive from us is negative, such as an owner scolding 'bad dog.'

Have you tried any working toys with him? You might be surprised how long a well-stuffed kong can keep a dog's brain stimulated and keep him or her out of 'trouble.' They also make a kong dispenser, which gives a fresh kong to your pet at various intervals (which you set) during the day.

If you need more information on kongs and working toys, let me know.

kongs are great.
#11 Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 PM

He loves his Kong toy, sans peanut butter. I have tried filling it up with natural peanut butter and it made him throw up, so I'm definitely not doing that again!

The Kong Dispenser sounds great though, can I find it at regular pet stores?

What is Comfort Zone?

I have not found an apartment yet (viewing some on Friday), so depending on the proximity to my workplace, I may or may not be able to come home at lunch.

He has a LOT of toys, but generally ignores them when he's home alone and goes into the garbage and finds papers to shred. I think he does do it for attention, because this only happens when we are not at home. So maybe like a revenge thing? He knows we hate it because before we even enter the room he will slink away guiltily, LOL, it's quite comical, it's hard to be mad at him after that, despite the big mess he's left for us.
#12 Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I put normal dog food in Rascal's kong.

These toys might be good..

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2026213&Ne=2
#13 Old 02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He loves his Kong toy, sans peanut butter. I have tried filling it up with natural peanut butter and it made him throw up, so I'm definitely not doing that again!

What is Comfort Zone?

I have not found an apartment yet (viewing some on Friday), so depending on the proximity to my workplace, I may or may not be able to come home at lunch.

He has a LOT of toys, but generally ignores them when he's home alone and goes into the garbage and finds papers to shred. I think he does do it for attention, because this only happens when we are not at home. So maybe like a revenge thing? He knows we hate it because before we even enter the room he will slink away guiltily, LOL, it's quite comical, it's hard to be mad at him after that, despite the big mess he's left for us.

comfort zone: relaxed, calm, laid back, glass of wine; not nervous, not agitated, not stressed: comfortable.

When Jill takes a hot bubble bath with only the candles for light she is in her comfort zone.
#14 Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM

He would rip those to shreds! Plushies never last long in my house.
#15 Old 02-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

comfort zone: relaxed, calm, laid back, glass of wine; not nervous, not agitated, not stressed: comfortable.

When Jill takes a hot bubble bath with only the candles for light she is in her comfort zone.

Um, I think kpickell was referring to a product?
#16 Old 02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Um, I think kpickell was referring to a product?

"DUH!!" now that I read it I think you are right; could be some kind of relaxer "Valuim" for dogs, just a guess.
#17 Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

#18 Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I put normal dog food in Rascal's kong.

These toys might be good..

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2026213&Ne=2

My dogs are apparently too smart, it takes them all of 1 second to get all four toys out of any of those kind of things. ; )
#19 Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Rascal is cute, but she's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. It takes her a while to figure things out. If I put a toy on a coffee table within her reach.. she'll just look at it until I give it to her. I only have to rest the babygate against the stairway posts to keep her off the steps. She won't even try to move it.
#20 Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM

haha that's so cute.
#21 Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I believe so. It looks like it's available at Petco: http://www.kongtime.com/ I personally haven't tried it, but am seriously considering one for my dog.

You can fill the kongs will all kinds of things. The kong Web site has some recipes under its tips and advice section: (http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html)

My dog loves FROZEN kongs. I've mixed mashed potatos, his dry kibble (softened in water first) and salt-free beef broth together and filled his kongs, popped them in the freezer... and he goes nuts over 'em. You can experiment with different dog-safe foods. Another version I've used is his dry kibble (again, softened in water), canned pumpkin, a little bit of yogurt and honey all mashed together, stuffed and frozen in his kongs. If you do a Google search, there are a lot of Web sites out there with kong-stuffing ideas.

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#22 Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Rascal is cute, but she's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. It takes her a while to figure things out. If I put a toy on a coffee table within her reach.. she'll just look at it until I give it to her. I only have to rest the babygate against the stairway posts to keep her off the steps. She won't even try to move it.

sounds like Rascal is pretty smart. Knows not to take things off the coffee table, babygate in place and she doesn't try to cross that border..... actually sounds very bright.
#23 Old 02-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I never thought of it that way.
#24 Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I never thought of it that way.

glad I could be of service!
#25 Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheart View Post

I believe so. It looks like it's available at Petco: http://www.kongtime.com/ I personally haven't tried it, but am seriously considering one for my dog.

You can fill the kongs will all kinds of things. The kong Web site has some recipes under its tips and advice section: (http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html)

My dog loves FROZEN kongs. I've mixed mashed potatos, his dry kibble (softened in water first) and salt-free beef broth together and filled his kongs, popped them in the freezer... and he goes nuts over 'em. You can experiment with different dog-safe foods. Another version I've used is his dry kibble (again, softened in water), canned pumpkin, a little bit of yogurt and honey all mashed together, stuffed and frozen in his kongs. If you do a Google search, there are a lot of Web sites out there with kong-stuffing ideas.

Heheh I just watched the Kong Time video, brilliant! That is so great, I think I'll look into getting one, thank you!
#26 Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i have lived with my small dog in an apartment his whole life. i always leave a puppy training pad out for him when he needs to spend more than a few hours home alone. also i have found that leaving the radio on for him helps him feel more like there is someone home with him all day.

last but not least even the smallest doggie needs a walk every day, destructive behaviour when they're home alone is often because they are not getting an opportunity to get out of the house and burn off some energy.
#27 Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Beginner

I have a large chesapeake bay retriever and he lived in an apartment for the first year and a half of his life with us. We're now in a house with a backyard. I won't lie...having a backyard makes things MUCH easier! But having a dog in an apartment is very doable and can actually have some very positive side effects. Apartment dogs are usually guaranteed lots of walks, socialization and exercise, so moving could be good for both you and your little guy!

I HIGHLY recommend frozen kongs! Chase gets half of his breakfast in a kong, mixed with plain yogourt and pulp from the juicer, with a little bit of bread and peanut butter to seal it shut. He LOVES them and is quite happy to spend 30 minutes emptying it out. I've read about dogs who can spend hours emptying out a kong, but I haven't yet figured out a combo that will take Chase that long. We also have a big hollow rubber ball with a small hole in it. You can fill the ball with kibble and the dog has to knock it around to get the kibble to fall out. Chase didn't really like it all that much, but I think it would be great for a small, active, high energy dog.

I don't have a small dog, so I can't give you any tips about barking, except that you might also want to set up a tape recorder to get an idea of when/how much your dog barks while you're gone. When he was a pup, Chase went through a stage where he'd bark while we were gone. Our neighbour told us that it was for hours and hours, but after tape recording it we found out that it was for about 15 minutes and that it started about 20 minutes after we left. Pretty annoying, no doubt, but definitely not hours and much less daunting for us to fix. We just got him a bigger kong so that it would take him a bit longer to empty, and give him a bit more time to acclimatize to us being gone.

We also left the radio on while we were gone and kept him confined in the bathroom when he was a puppy. When he got bigger, he graduated to the kitchen. Now, at 2 and a half, he has free run of the house.

Good walks in the morning and after work are a must. I would really recommend tiring the dog out in the morning. Make sure he's good and worn out. Short training sessions to keep his mind busy will help as well. A tired dog is a happy dog is a happy owner.

If finances allow it, a dog walker or a doggie daycare once or twice a week will also help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page