My cat is acting crazy... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

My cat, Susie, is seven years old. We've had her for four years now. She's somewhat skittish (doesn't like to be cornered, picked up, or petted by the wrong person). She's not a vocal cat. Whenever we go into the laundry room (where her food dish is) she'll give a few pathitic half meows, but that's it.

For the past three weeks she's been nutty.

Several monthes ago, I bought her a fuzzy ball that made a noise when you moved it. She never did play with it that much. At Christmas, I got her a fuzzy mouse.

Anyhow...

Pretty much every morning for the past three weeks, she'll wake me up between 4 and 7 am. She'll be out in the family room, meowing and meowing and meowing. Twice I went out in the laundry room to feed her... after she's done eating, she'll meow and meow and meow. Then she'll come into my room and start playing with that darn ball, (which was not in the room when I went to sleep!) So I'll chuck the ball out of my room and ten minutes later, she'll bring it in again. I get up some mornings and both her ball and her mouse are at the foot of my bed. This morning she picked the ball up in her mouth, ran into my room and started batting it around.

She never used to be this hyper and even my mom is finding that the cat is being nutty.

Is it a normal thing for a cat to go from reserved to crazy hyper?!

It's cute... but not at 4 in the morning :P

Maybe it's a midlife crisis or something.

Anyways, I hope somebody got a kick out of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM

Aww! That seems really cute. Though I have no real advice..so I guess this post is useless.
#3 Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

she sounds like a normal cat to me. every morning between 4 and 7am my cat starts meowing like crazy cuz he wants to be petted and played with. i think that is the normal time for them to want to be roaming around 'hunting', as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM

I don't think it's the activity that made them go "Humm..what's up with her?" but, that for the last four years she hasn't done things like that, and seemed to be a shy cat. Though, I may be wrong.
#5 Old 01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I don't think it's the activity that made them go "Humm..what's up with her?" but, that for the last four years she hasn't done things like that, and seemed to be a shy cat. Though, I may be wrong.

That's what I mean. She's been doing things she hasn't done since we aquired her.
#6 Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

All cats are psycho. It's part of being a cat.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#7 Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Catnip in that ball? I had to laugh...I know this behavior.
#8 Old 01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Keep a close eye on her. She could just be going through a phase (mine do periodically) but it could be there's something underlying. Night crying can be a symptom for an underlying problem (here's a link to get you started: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pets_nocturnal)
#9 Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

She could also be developing hyper-thyroidism. It makes them really agitated and active all of a sudden, when they weren't before. Couldn't hurt to have the vet check her out.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

haha- - That made me laugh. I can just picture it. I too know this behavior. As WR said - All cats are psycho. It's part of being a cat.
#11 Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for the link.

I'll try what the site suggested (giving her playtime and then feeding her right before bed) and I volunteer at the vet's office, so I'll talk to one of them when I'm in on Friday. I can't tell if she's overeating because she's lost some weight. In August, she was 10 lbs 4 ounces and the vet said she could stand to lose about a pound. In October, she was 10 lbs 2 ounces, and now she's looking better.

She was at the vet in August for vaccinations and she was in October to have some teeth removed...

She's abnormally nutty though I find... she's been going nuts over that stupid ball all day... she's going at it now.
#12 Old 01-26-2007, 07:49 PM

My cat's also shy and lazy. He's eight.

We can't give him catnip, because he goes crazy like you described your cat doing. You could take away the toys for a few days and see if she calms back down.
#13 Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

She woke me up again this morning at 6:20. I heard a meow, then she played with her toy, she started crying and then she runs into my room and hops into bed with me.

My dad noticed that she seems to be always hungry and for the past week or so, she's been throwing up almost every day... usually she'd throw up about once a week because of a hairball or because she eats her food too fast.

On Friday, I'll talk to the vet and I'll also let my mom know what could be going on. She's not going to be too happy if she has to pay for the cat to have blood work... and my cat is impossible to stuff into a carrier :P

I'll take away her silly ball and mouse and see what that does :P Before I was thinking "Well, if she's finally having a good time, let her make all of the noise she wants" :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page