What type of tortoise did I find? Pictures. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

This little guy (or girl) walked into my garage today. Its surprising because we live next to a big road. Can anyone tell me what type of tortoise it is? What should I do with him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Where are the pictures?

You could try calling a wildlife rehab place. If you don't know of one, maybe try contacting some vets or pet shops. They may have numbers.
#3 Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Where are the pictures?

You could try calling a wildlife rehab place. If you don't know of one, maybe try contacting some vets or pet shops. They may have numbers.

Sorry, I couldn't upload them! They are too big.

My mom just put it in our yard and says I'm not allowed to take it back to the woods near our house where it probably came from. She said it was hers. We have 2 big dogs and they can kill it.

She says I'm being bossy, but I'm the one in the family that knows the most about animals. Not to be vain or anything. Its a fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2006, 02:02 PM

If you email them to me, I can make the file size smaller for you.

Or you could go to photobucket.com or tinypic.com and upload them, then post the links to the images here!
#5 Old 10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
#6 Old 10-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

I don't know. They all look the same to me. But he sure is cute!
#7 Old 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

awww he's adorable!
#8 Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks like some type of Box Turtle to me
#9 Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

I agree - where do you live?
#10 Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

He's beautiful. I hope the dogs don't chew on him...

He looks like he might be an Eastern Box Tortoise.
#11 Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I live on the East Coast. Are they threatened? Unfortunately I can't find him, but my mom finally realized that I was right about taking him back to the wild. The next time my dad mows the lawn, I'm going to be so scared that the tortoise gets killed!
#12 Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

"North American box turtles are listed by The Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (C.I.T.E.S.) as a threatened species. Permits for their export and import are required. Many states protect their native box turtles and do not allow collection. Box turtles are a long-lived species of reptiles with a low egg /clutch number, high hatchling mortality rate and ever shrinking habitat. Their survival may depend on active conservation and research into their needs and demography.

The most common box turtles found in the pet trade or along road sides and fields are the Common Eastern, Three-toed, Gulf Coast and Western Ornate box turtles. They each have a distinctive look but each subspecies seems to have individuals that are hard to identify.

Common Eastern: 4-6 inches long with a high, domed shell and a low, middorsal keel. The carapace is usually dark brown with orange or reddish blotches of various size and shape that form an attractive pattern. The plastron may or may not have dark areas around the scute margins. The skin of the turtle is brown and the males have colorful scales on the front legs. They are found from Maine to Georgia and westward to Michigan, Illinois and Tennessee."

http://boxturtlesite.org/eastern.html
#13 Old 10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned

Yeah - I grew up in the mid-Atlantic portion of the east coast. I'll bet it's the Common Eastern to which Ludi refers....
#14 Old 10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been looking for him, but I can't find him anywhere. My backyard has some woods in it too. What time of day is best to look for him? Where would he be hiding?
#15 Old 10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

OK - I just spoke with our tortoise biologist (not kidding, I work in environmental planning). He says that generally, the best way to protect a listed species is to let it alone. Dogs are a threat mostly to the young and yours is mature. He also added that the turtle has survived your dogs to this point and there is no reason to think that matters will change.

BTW - it's difficult to tell because of the angle of your photos, but it's probably a female.
#16 Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

OK - I just spoke with our tortoise biologist (not kidding, I work in environmental planning). He says that generally, the best way to protect a listed species is to let it alone. Dogs are a threat mostly to the young and yours is mature. He also added that the turtle has survived your dogs to this point and there is no reason to think that matters will change.

BTW - it's difficult to tell because of the angle of your photos, but it's probably a female.

Thanks, I really appreciate that you talked to the biologist, that makes me feel so much better! If the tortoise does show up, I'll just relocate it to the woods where it probably came from, and where I've seen tortoises before.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but do tortoises tend to stay in one place where they've made a home or do they roam? I suppose it depends on the gender, because males probably roam more looking for females.
#17 Old 10-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

I already asked him about that! He said they tend to roam a lot, which is a reason they're not the best creatures to put into fenced wildlife areas (which is where fish&game may have put yours). When this happens, predators often find gaps in the enclosure which consequently becomes a "funnel" that brings the roaming animals right to them! My colleague says he's seen coyotes lurking at the end of the fence in desert tortoise protected habitiat areas, just waiting for lunch to come along.

Of course yours has the threats associated with development, but he's apparently been able to subside in his restricted space so far....
#18 Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, she looks like a typical box turtle, very cute little guys, i've got three girls and a guy sitting in my basement sleeping the cold weather away as we speak, and if i remember correctly how it works, she doesn't look too old...

btw- the way to tell the sex of box turtles (sorry, but i call them turtles, i'm aware that that's probably not the scientific term, but old habits die hard) is their eye color. Brown = female ; red = male

oops...I apparently missed seeing the whole second page...sorry! I didn't realize how much info had already been posted!

Oh, and Ludi- haha, the box turtles in my area don't seem to know they're 'threatened', just don't tell them we seem to stumble on them lots, but i'm not complaining, cuz my parents are cool about it, and if they're hurt, we take them to the vet and get them all patched up...but then we do keep them
#19 Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbock View Post

yeah, she looks like a typical box turtle, very cute little guys, i've got three girls and a guy sitting in my basement sleeping the cold weather away as we speak, and if i remember correctly how it works, she doesn't look too old...

btw- the way to tell the sex of box turtles (sorry, but i call them turtles, i'm aware that that's probably not the scientific term, but old habits die hard) is their eye color. Brown = female ; red = male

oops...I apparently missed seeing the whole second page...sorry! I didn't realize how much info had already been posted!

Oh, and Ludi- haha, the box turtles in my area don't seem to know they're 'threatened', just don't tell them we seem to stumble on them lots, but i'm not complaining, cuz my parents are cool about it, and if they're hurt, we take them to the vet and get them all patched up...but then we do keep them

Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty sure that it was a male, because he did have red eyes.
#20 Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

It's illegal to collect/keep them in most places.

Always ask an exotics vet about proper care if you do have one--lots of them come in sick to our vet because people do not know the right housing/food/lighting/heat to provide.
#21 Old 10-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, we're good with them (haha, those pampared little guys ) but no, when we take our guys to the vet, it's to pick up antibiotics because one was hit by a car and had a bad case of shell rot, and another was severely underweight when we took her in...another was actually bought at a pet shop...but that was a really long time ago...

but anyways, i was unaware that they were illegal to keep...but thankfully we're okay...besides, even if we weren't there's not a chance i'd let them go...they'd die...

snownose-you're welcome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page