loud cats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I just adopted a cat today who's about 2 years old. he's a great cat but the problem is if we're in another room and he can't see us he'll start meowing, not some quiet little meow but a big tomcat meow, very very loud. I'm afraid that the family is going to the park tomorrow and he'll be home alone. is there any way to comfort him so he doesn't cause a noise complaint from the neighbors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

He may just be settling in. Sometimes my cats scream when they're in weird places. It just takes time for them to be comfortable.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

oh okay thanks. I though he'd be a little quiter when we took him home because he was a meower in the shelter. so hopefully he'll settle down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Before you leave him alone, spend as much time as you can with him so he can get used to the smells of his new family. Then, when you leave, make sure there are plenty of clothes around where he's going to be that have your smells on it. This could be of comfort to him. Also, leave the radio on tuned to an easy listening station. Perhaps that will keep him calm also.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 08-04-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Before you leave him alone, spend as much time as you can with him so he can get used to the smells of his new family. Then, when you leave, make sure there are plenty of clothes around where he's going to be that have your smells on it. This could be of comfort to him. Also, leave the radio on tuned to an easy listening station. Perhaps that will keep him calm also.

I agree
#6 Old 08-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

thats a great idea. he's really clingy right now (he's sitting on my lap right now) so I'm sure he'll pick up enough scent. as far as finding our scent he just has to go to the giant pile of accumulating laundry in the bedroom and VOILA. he tries to get on my lap even when Elliotts already on there. it's so cute and it's great that they get along.
#7 Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM

get him a cat cave or kitty condo type thing... a place for him to hide and get away and feel safe is always nice.
#8 Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Is this Melvin?
#9 Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
#10 Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure he'll settle down. I work in a cattery and we get some cats that will yowl for a week, then calm down, or some that meow nonstop for their entire stay (we have one in now for a months stay, she's two weeks in and hasn't stopped meowing, bless her) but her owners say she's quiet as a mouse at home. Sometimes it's just the shock of being uprooted.

People with nervous cats are always advised to bring in something that smells like them, normally a piece of clothing or a blanket, we even got one with a piece of carpet last week So yeah, try giving them something that smells like one of you.

Also, life in a shelter is pretty confusing, the poor thing probably doesn't know if he's coming or going, or if you're coming back when you leave him. Once he's comfortable about his new home and that you always come back, he should be ok.

Edit - Aww, he's beautiful!
#11 Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Our kittens went through a meowing stage once they started walking around and "getting lost" in the next room. Once we started just saying "we're in here, whats the matter?" so they had to follow our voice instead of going to them and giving them a bunch of attention for meowing they quieted down. They're half siamese so we've had to be pretty strict about the talking at inappropriate times thing.

When people tell you asian breed cats talk alot they aren't lying.

Also, you could try giving him something to occupy himself with while you're gone. Ours love the cat ice cream they sell at the grocery store now, and it takes awhile to melt so they have to eat it slowly.
#12 Old 08-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

What a photogenic fellow! And the cat's quite photogenic, too.
#13 Old 08-06-2006, 03:49 AM

Hi, I work in a cattery and have two cats myself. One who is mentally disabled. HE HAS SEPERATION PROBLEMS AND THE RESULT is similar to your cat. Meoms when he forgets you are in the next room. The best thing I have found is another friend if he will except it. As you have only just got him it would be easier to do this now as he does not have any dominance over the situation yet. Toys and interesting stuff. There is a cat tv dvd that repeats has birds and fish extra on it this keeps him occupied. It is very possible that he has come from a home with other cats or remembers his litter mates so The best advice would be to get another one if you can.

#14 Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

All the advice given is great!

This thread so cracked me up, sorry...one of my kittens will start meowing like crazy if there's not another cat or human near him-and there's 7 cats here! He'll start 'screaming' when he's alone and wants someone, so I have to call him, and he'll run and jump to me for affection. Sometimes he'll be in the office w/me, and can't see me cuz I'm on the other side of the desk and start screaming away. Hims just the cutest little thing I've ever seen. (and i've known him literally since the day he was born...he's just like that i guess)

Anyway... I like the advice given, definitly try what others suggested. My bro recently took in a stray cat he found, and she has seperation problems. She's still adjusting to a loving home though. I suppose especially when you don't know a cat's past, it takes them awhile to adjust to knowing that they won't be abandoned and are in a safe loving home for the rest of their life. GL!!!
#15 Old 08-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

if he keeps it up after he's settled in, you could try one of those pheremone sprays for seperation anxiety

but otherwise i'd just recommend calling to him when he's in another room meowing for you. he'll learn to just look for you instead of panicking.

mine gets loud sometimes if he wants something or when he's hyper. he'll fly down the stairs, sit in the front entrance and wail at the top of his lungs up the stairwell at me. i think he likes the echo. i'll call and call back to him and he'll just get louder. the second i look over the railing at him he'll give a big loud half-meow (sounds kinda like "MEH!"), jump up and tear back up the stairs. it's quite the game he also likes to stomp around (i never thought cats could stomp lol). i wonder if my neigbour downstairs thinks i have a herd of animals in here.

grats on the new addition and to you for adopting an adult

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page