An interesting, yet heartbreaking story - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

My sister came home from work one night and was talking about a man and his son (or grandson) going into the local country restaurant we work and sitting down. My sister was their waitress and doing her job when she overheard their conversation. They were talking about dogs for some reason when the man said something like, "Do you remember that black mutt that kept coming over to our house?" They continued to discuss how they kept driving it away from their property, but the dog kept coming back. They then laughed about shooting the dog in the leg and beating it. The dog ran off and was never seen by them again. Their last thoughts on the conversation was "good job."

The story is sad to begin with, but me and my sister immediately came up with something. We have a black mixed breed dog. We had found her in a field starving in the middle of winter about 2 years ago. She had a bullet in her shoulder. She was also terrified of men when we rescued her. The dog, (whom we named lady) has had a mysterious past that we could never figure out. I don't know if the dog the man and the kid was indeed Lady, but it sure fit the discription. I was immediately appalled that someone could even do that to an animal in need.

Chances are likely, that dog was indeed Lady, and she had a rough time, but she is now safe. If I ever see those people again I will confront them about the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Ankle Biter

There are a lot of people on this planet that I really, really hate.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 PM

my only comfort when I hear or read about people who abuse animals is this:

When they get to whatever version of the afterlife they believe in, the powers that be say,

"well, remember that time when you did _____ and laughed about it? well, sorry, but god/allah/jehovah/gaia/buddha/Kali/shiva/albert einstein is really, really, pissed at you. enjoy getting your liver eaten by this eagle for the rest of eternity. Buh Bye."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

When they get to whatever version of the afterlife they believe in, the powers that be say,

"well, remember that time when you did _____ and laughed about it? well, sorry, but god/allah/jehovah/gaia/buddha/Kali/shiva/albert einstein is really, really, pissed at you. enjoy getting your liver eaten by this eagle for the rest of eternity. Buh Bye."

Amen.
#5 Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

What a story.

Lady is a very blessed doggie to have found you

I'll bet she was dumped by her previous owners and was looking

for food.That's why they had to keep driving the poor thing away.

My sister in law's dad lives in the country and said they have

a constant stream of dogs and cats dumped on their property.

Thankfully, they are very kind people and have adopted

some and found homes for the rest.

We all know that's not the norm though.

I just don't understand why people think their pets will fare

just fine if they're dumped along some country road.
#6 Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

If you would like to see a picture of Lady, go to the photo section under Companion animals, scroll halfway down, and next to a picture of a horse named Casey is Lady girl!

sallyomally, we also get an uncountable amount of animals that come to our house. We have even rescued two domesticated rabbits found wandering outside. I think people intentionally dump their animals at our place because they know we will care for them. I'd rather see people take their unwanted pets to rescue facilities or give them to friends--we can't take them all!
#7 Old 08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww, she is so beautiful... such a sweet face and expressive eyes. Good for you! I'm so glad she is safe with you now and has the safe and comfortable life she always deserved. She is so lucky to have found you and I'm sure she is so grateful returns all your love threefold

I would be careful about confroting those guys... they will probably get all uppity and in your face and in essence, tell you to go you-know-what yourself... I doubt they have any regard for human life if they don't even care enough about a dog to spare it from being injured. If you stil want to pursue it, you should take a picture of Lady with you and say something like "Does this dog look familiar/have you seen this dog?" and if they say they remember her, smugly reply "Thanks for shooting my dog, you're lucky I haven't charged you with attempted murder and animal cruelty. Have a nice day" and just walk away.
#8 Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that's an amazing story. You could well be right about that. I saw the picture of her, she looks like a lovely dog, and happy. It gives me hope that there are people like you in the world.
#9 Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad Lady found you. She's adorable!

As for the two men, too bad you couldn't have topped their food with death caps or added rat poison to their drinks.

Or at least spit in it.
#10 Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

OK..... I must be having a senior moment here. I can't find

the photo section!
#11 Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

OK..... I must be having a senior moment here. I can't find

the photo section!

It's the watermelon at the top of each page. Or click https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/

~Wonder
#12 Old 08-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Gracias!

(Oh. Makes sense. To see photos click on the thing that says photos. )

Red face.
#13 Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

Unless they're like me and they believe there is no afterlife, just oblivion. So no just rewards for scum like them.
#14 Old 08-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Damn I was waiting for the part where you called the police and had them charged with animal cruely.
#15 Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

But the thing is, in the country no one cares. Kids at school throw dead raccoons and badgers in the back of their truck to show off to everyone and destroy. Rabbits are the most common victims of meaningless violence, and stray dogs and cats are on their own, or murdered for tresspassing. People joke about running over their kittens with cars. No one gives a damn here!

But, someone has to care. It's up to me and my sister to become the voice of the voiceless.
#16 Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

why didnt she confront them at the resturant? i would of made a huge scene of it. dang tootin
#17 Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

It probably wouldn't have made any difference.

I grew up in the country .Most country folk put plants and

animals in the same category.They just don't care if the

animal feels frightened or in pain.

I've sat on my uncle's front porch and listened to sickening

deer hunting stories like the time they found part of the leg

but couldn't find the deer, or the deer had to be shot five

or six times because "the dang thing wouldn't die"Trying to

talk to them is futile.My uncle would just say"Now Melinda,

that's just an animal."

My cousin's husband had a dog that fell out of his truck and hurt

its pelvis.He spent a fortune on vet bills and was just worried sick

about the pain the dog was in, but had no problem whatsoever

with bow hunting deer or shooting the neighbor's tom cat.

Thank God for Tuff and Sister.They're guardians of the country critters!

Keep up the good work!
#18 Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll second what other people here said, it's that these people have a different viewpoint of non human animals. Many agricultural people seem to be like this.

Sometimes it makes you feel like you are the only person who cares and it gets lonely.
#19 Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in northwest wisconsin....the town i live has population of 1000. rural city. but that dosent mean i still dont speak up to people like that. they obviously say whatever they want so i give it right back to them. if no one ever says anything nothing will ever change.
#20 Old 08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a very good point. I still spoke up to my relatives, even if

they did get all smug on me.

I understand what you're saying.
#21 Old 08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a very good point. I still spoke up to my relatives, even if

they did get all smug on me.

I understand what you're saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page