VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Companion Animals (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/24-companion-animals/)
-   -   How to introduce new animals into the family? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/24-companion-animals/53582-how-introduce-new-animals-into-family.html)

kale 07-31-2006 05:30 AM

Hello all,

So: I have a cat currently, let's call him T, who is delightful and handsome and gifted and ... (digressing). He has been with me for over 5 years, and largely has the run of the apartment.

I am wanting to bring another animal into the home, and am totally unsure about how to do this without causing turmoil!

My current (handsome, gifted) cat has really never met other animals, other than the squirrels and birds he obsesses about through the window...

I would love to bring in a smaller animal, but I am fairly concerned and convinced that T would not see it as a new sibling, but as a new toy to be hunted: "Wow, Mom, a rabbit??? Gee thanks! *swat swat swat pounce*"

I adore (ADORE) T, and thought perhaps another cat would be a great idea...

So, the point of the post:

How do I go about introducing another cat into the home without the two of them murdering each other? Would it be smarter to get a boy or a girl cat? Younger than T or older?

Thanks in advance, wise people!

A confused potential new adoptive mummy,

Kale

Pescas 07-31-2006 06:06 AM

Well, if he isn't castrated dont go for girl cat, and dont go for male cat because they will most likely fight. Anyway, a castration is best.

He might go along with a male cat but if he hasnt grown up with him they will probably not as he will feel the other cat is invading his territory..

If he is castrated I guess you can choose male or female, I would go for female though. I would say a younger cat, he wouldnt be as threathened then.

gas4 07-31-2006 01:20 PM

I would probably agree, a young female cat (if he's fixed of course) might be best. Be prepared for some sulking and hostility. You never know how it's going to go with cats. It's a risk because there's a chance T will never get on with a new cat -ever, and you obviously can't take the cat back to where ever you get it if that's the case. But then again they might become best mates. What's T like? Has he ever demonstrated jealousy towards another person? Is he generally laid back?

Good luck.

meatless 07-31-2006 04:55 PM

My two boys are the best of friends. Moo was two when we adopted Chewy, and already had an older sister, Pesto, who was two when we adopted Moo! Moo and Chewy have gotten along well right from the start.

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...imageuser=2673

Amy SF 07-31-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas4 View Post

you obviously can't take the cat back to where ever you get it if that's the case.

That's not necessarily true. There are rescue groups and shelters who WILL take the animal back if it becomes evident that the new cat and the established cat simply don't get along.

jenna 07-31-2006 05:50 PM

i've actually had less of a problem introducing two males than two females. every time i've rescued a cat, i haven't worried about the gender. I actually haven't worried about age much, either, when I've rescued. For me, it's been about all of the personalities meshing well or not. I have two cats that don't really care for each other; they'll spend all their time on opposite sides of the house but get along fine with everything else.

since T is around 5 years old, you could go for a cat that is slightly younger - maybe around 2 or 3.

I'd almost be tempted to go for an older cat because they are harder to find homes for. It really just boils down to the temperament of the cat you want. If you have an older one who is pretty laid back, you probably won't have any introduction problems. That's the way it's been for my oldest cat.

Have you thought of checking with foster programs? If there is a cat there that you like, or at least the personality, you could foster the cat for a while and see how T does with it and then you could adopt that one cat.

meatless 08-03-2006 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

I'd almost be tempted to go for an older cat because they are harder to find homes for.

This could just be an odd exception to the rule, but my neighbour has had her eye out for a senior citizen cat for a while, checking the shelter site regularly etc. and none that are 8+ have come up! (this is a shelter that has 40-100 cats at any given time) She called to inquire, and they told her that there's actually quite a few people looking for senior cats and they get snapped up pretty fast. Maybe some people want a cat, but don't want to commit to 10-20 years and this offers them a compromise? I don't know.

GhostUser 08-03-2006 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

That's not necessarily true. There are rescue groups and shelters who WILL take the animal back if it becomes evident that the new cat and the established cat simply don't get along.

yep. the Jersey Shore Animal Center has a forever return policy.

I tryed to introduce a female of the same age with my female and that did not go well at all. my mom ended up taking the cat,so alls well that ends well, but i think she might be better off with a younger cat or kitten to boss around( she's a bossy cat)

kale 08-03-2006 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the ideas!

I especially like the idea of fostering a cat and seeing how they get along---although the rescue program where i live often relies on the host family to socilaize the animal ( i think) so i may wind up with a nutball cat on my hands, which might not go over too well with T.....but then again, it could turn out terrifically

and yes, i have looked at the rescue program's website and promptly fallen for one of the dears.