Moral dilemma - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I need some opinions of fellows veg*ns on this one.

My guinea pig, Piglet, has had bladder problems for quite some time. One of the things that may help her is glucosamine, which coats the bladder.

I don't agree with using animal products in medicine and I don't think other animals should have to die or suffer so that I/my pets can be more comfortable. I know I would feel awful if I gave it to her, but at the same time, I know I will feel awful listening to her squeal in pain and knowing that there's something that might help her that I haven't tried.

I have a bladder disease myself and I would never use a product like this even though many people with my condition do. Not even an option for me. But, somehow, with Piglet, it doesn't seem quite that simple. For one thing, there are a lot less options for treating pigs.

I know there must be others here who've had to face this decision with their pets or kids. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Beginner

I believe that your moral obligation to your pet, to keep her as safe, comfortable, and happy as reasonably possible, supersedes your personal desire to avoid animal products. Your guinea pig does not have the ability to understand the complex reasoning behind your avoidance of animal products; she only understands that she is in pain. I would liken it to my stepson having a fever, and me allowing his fever to continue because I had run out of veg*n aspirin.

I would continue to explore veg*n options for her, but in the meantime, give her the glucosamine, if you and your vet believe it will improve her quality of life.
#3 Old 07-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with firebird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Banned

I agree with firebird as well.

Cassie
#5 Old 07-23-2003, 02:09 AM

i have less problems with animal testing that helps animals than animal testing that helps humans. for example, some people make good money doing drug studies that help other humans. so if a pig is helping your pig...

are there any natural alternatives?
#6 Old 07-23-2003, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

why do you have problems with animal testing that helps people but not animal testing that helps animals?
#7 Old 07-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

i think that animal testing is acceptable in medical circumstances simply because there aren't any viable alternatives at this time. when there are, then animal testing will be unnecessary and therefore unacceptable.

i would give the medicine to your animal. you are the steward of her body, her caregiver. Your concern is her comfort--not yours.
#8 Old 07-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. I don't know what we will be trying next in terms of treatments for Piglet but it may be the glucosamine.
#9 Old 08-02-2003, 07:43 PM

i strongly disagree!

the fact that you do not know the animal that was killed in order to make a medicine, does not make it ok to kill her, or even lower it's priority below your pet.

if i had a child who needed a heart transplant, as desperate as i get, i will never consider killing a child i don't know in order to take his heart as acceptable.

life is tough, inevitably we and our loved ones lose things, but living without ethics and compassion is the greatest loss of all.

bare in mind that even if you try every immoral option you have, he may still stay sick, and undoubtedly die, as all living things do,

then you have lost twice.

if the problem is only the pain, then painkillers are the most ethical, and well tested solution.
#10 Old 08-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by veganium

if the problem is only the pain, then painkillers are the most ethical, and well tested solution.

Do you know how many animals died in the testing of pain relievers that are safe in animals? We had a dog in our office get VERY sick from a rare side effect of a pain medication that the company knew existed because they'd killed so many dogs "just to make sure" it was the medicine doing it!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 08-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by veganium

i strongly disagree!

the fact that you do not know the animal that was killed in order to make a medicine, does not make it ok to kill her, or even lower it's priority below your pet.

if i had a child who needed a heart transplant, as desperate as i get, i will never consider killing a child i don't know in order to take his heart as acceptable.

life is tough, inevitably we and our loved ones lose things, but living without ethics and compassion is the greatest loss of all.

bare in mind that even if you try every immoral option you have, he may still stay sick, and undoubtedly die, as all living things do,

then you have lost twice.

Who's ethics, the humans or the pet's?

The supreme court has said in response to parents who's moral beliefs compelled them to deny their children certain necessary medical treatments that parents may martyr themselves but not their children. I feel this general idea can lend some insight here as well.

Um what veterniary or medical procedure or medicine has not been tested on some animal at some point and how many medicines out there are 100% vegan?

Since so far you have commented on sacrificing children and animals in the name of your ethics, I am going to assume that you never take any medicines or treatments for yourself that are not 100% cruelty free. Hopefully you also wear a medic-alert bracelet and have a living will stating that you deny any and all treatments that are not 100% cruelty free.
#12 Old 08-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this is rather a tempest in a teapot situation here. We veg*ns have way bigger fish to catch (excuse the pun) than worrying too much or long about medication for guinea piggies.

I strongly disagree with animal testing, but I would use medicine tested on animals or with animal ingredients, if there is not a vegan alternative. I would use it for myself and loved ones, including pets. As I stated in another thread today, I don't believe in self-deprivation. I take what I need to live and be happy but I will try hard to avoid causing pain and suffering.

I try to see the big picture. In most cases, the only reason there is no vegan alternative is that there are too few veg*ns out there. By engaging in activism (in whatever form), you can do so much more to reduce suffering.

Besides, the number animals in the labs that were used to test this medicament are not even a rounding error when compared to the number of animals raised and killed for food. I think it makes simply more sense to to concentrate on farm animals (because that issue is the most pressing one), though I won't tell anyone what to do and where to act.
#13 Old 08-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to agree with the first few posts on this... Piglet would not understand your reasoning behind avoidance of animal products, and if you think you can help relieve her pain, by all means DO. She will appreciate it, I assure you.
#14 Old 08-04-2003, 06:41 PM

I agree with Oatmeal and the others.
#15 Old 08-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

help your guinea pig! god, I would do anything for my pets and I know you want to help it.

I'd try it and see if it works. its noble that this is a concern for you. call me a bad vegan, but I wouldnt think twice.

good luck to you! and healing wishes to the piggie!

XOXO

beth
#16 Old 08-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

im probaly gona sound really stupid but wuts gluecosamine ( i know i spelt that totally wrong )
#17 Old 08-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I could be wrong but I think it comes from shellfish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page