My cat blocked! Argh! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Last night at about 9:15, I went downstairs to give my cats their bedtime snack, and Atticus didn't come when I called him. I got worried cause he ALWAYS comes when you say "Do you wanna eat?!" from any room in the house. Last time he wouldn't come to eat, he was stuck in the basement ceiling. So last night I found him in the basement sitting in the litter box. I took him out to see if he was ok and he started licking himself and I went "ohhh crap" and felt his bladder which was big, and he yelped, and hid under a table. My bf and I rushed him to the animal ER and he's been there ever since. He has a history of struvite crystals, and the prescription diet I had him on apparently wasn't working. They unblocked him almost 24 hrs ago, and they're supposed to be pulling his cathetar around 2 am today, and hopefully he'd be able to go home tomorrow. Fortunately, I caught it early because at 8 pm he was in the kitchen bugging me for food and being generally annoying, pulling things off the counter while I was cooking etc... and when he finally got bored of that, he went and slept in his favourite chair. Obviously not in any discomfort at that time! Also fortunately, I have pet insurance for him which will cover up to $1500 an incident. We're up to about $900 now, and after deductable and the percentage I have to pay, I should get a good bit back without maxing out for this incident (including rechecks).

Anyway, Atticus could use some get well vibes if anyone's got any extras to send this way!! It was a very scary night for all of us!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

get well Atticus!!!

kiss kiss hug hug!

#3 Old 06-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Aw, get well Atticus!

Two thumbs up for attentive pet parenting.

Hope all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Beginner

Get well, little dude.

And I also give you two thumbs up! You rock!
#5 Old 06-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww I hope he gets better soon and can come home. Poor thing.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 06-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I read about Atticus on LJ, I'll keep him in my thoughts.
#7 Old 06-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

rabid_child, I've been there before. My sister's cat, well he's kinda my cat too, kept getting blocked, although he never had any crystals. His name is Rubix and after the prescription diets, various antibiotics, and expensive vet bills he still would get blocked. After the 4th or 5th time in 6 months we opted for the Perineal Urethrostomy surgery. They basically remove the entire penis and move his urethra closer towards the anus, so he can squat and pee. The surgery saved his life and now I can call him Rubisha He has yet to get blocked since the surgery and that was back in february of 04. The surgery cost us around $1500, but he is well worth it.

Here are some post op pictures of him. The last 3 are not for the squeemish and the 3rd and 5th ones show the most detail. There was a lot of bruising, and I mean a lot. The last picture was about 3 days after surgery.

http://wonder.sitehacks.com/DSC00982.JPG

http://wonder.sitehacks.com/DSC00983.JPG

http://wonder.sitehacks.com/DSC00984.JPG

http://wonder.sitehacks.com/DSC00985.JPG

http://wonder.sitehacks.com/DSC00987.jpg

He was so good about this whole surgery and is still the best cat I know. Except don't touch his belly unless you want to loose a finger

I hope Atticus gets better. I understand what you're going through too.

~Wonder
#8 Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hope Atticus gets well soon! I'm glad you caught it early!
#9 Old 06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that but thankful he lives with someone who is as attentive and responsible as you are.

I hope he gets better soon!
#10 Old 06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hope you get well soon Atticus!
#11 Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 AM

Get well soon Atticus!!!!
#12 Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Update... Atticus came home yesterday around noon. He is acting more like himself, though he is still sort of pokey. I suspect the fact that it is extremely hot and humid has something to do with this as well. He did come upstairs this morning to wait for us to wake up and feed him, and had a recheck at the vet where they gave me another prescription for him (He got antibiotics to go home from the Emergency vet) which is supposed to relax his bladder so he can pee easier. We also ordered the other brand of struvite dissolving diet, in addition to buying more of the kind he's not crazy about, because he's gonna eat it one way or the other!! He just prefers either dry food or junk food cans (i.e. friskies). I also got some dry s/d because all I need is him refusing to eat and getting a fatty liver problem on top of his peeing problem!! I just want him to get as much liquid as possible.

Thanks for the get well wishes! I'm going to go check on him now then I have to come back here for class tonight :P (My bf has been home with him all day, checking on him periodically and giving me email updates, so he hasn't been alone.. though he'll have to be all day tomorrow and that makes me a bit nervous!)

#13 Old 06-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

for atticus I said a prayer for him too
#14 Old 06-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Good to hear that he's feeling a bit better.

I'm pretty impresed that you have pet medical insurance - that's a really good idea. I didn't even know you could get that.
#15 Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yea, it's great stuff!! I have Pets Health Care Plan. I pay about $10/mo per cat, and it covers up to $1500/incident, and up to $8000/yr. You pay $100 deductable annually, and after that they pay up to 80% of "reasonable and customary" costs. I have the cheapest plan available, which only covers accidents and illnesses, but I also have indoor cats so they don't get many vax and they don't get them often!

If you'd like to be referred for your own pets (or anyone for that matter), let me know because I get entered to win a years supply of pet food (and the aforementioned cat is eating VERY EXPENSIVE prescription cat food!!) for every person I refer.

#16 Old 06-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Rabid, have you considered amitriptyline? We have great success with it and cats with recurring bladder problems.
#17 Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Atticus, get better.
#18 Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

Rabid, have you considered amitriptyline? We have great success with it and cats with recurring bladder problems.

Since this was the first time he blocked, I wouldn't yet consider him having "recurring" bladder problems. He was diagnosed with the Struvites in October, but tons of cats are and never have any problems! At this point, if he can be managed with food, I would rather do that as it is less stressful for the both of us. If he continues to have problems, I would certainly research more aggressive approaches to treatment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page