Dachshund Paralyzed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-03-2006, 11:32 PM

On Thursday evening my dachshund, Bella, was acting very strange. She was over in a corner lying down, shaking, acting very funny. The next morning I was at work when my daughter called to say Bella couldn't move her back legs. I left work immediately and came home to take her to the vet. The vet took x-rays which showed she had a bulging disk. She gave her a steroid shot and put her on crate rest for 1 month. She wants to see her in 1 week. If there is no improvement, she will send her to a neurologist. As of right now, there is no improvement. In fact, I think she is worse. She is completely incontinent and no bowel control. I am just devastated. I love this dog. My children love this dog. She is a complete joy. So much personality, and now within 1 day..she can't move the lower half of her body. Does anyone else have dachshunds in their family? I know they are at risk of this with their spine being so long. I just need to know that maybe this treatment will work..that after being confined she will get the feeling back in her legs. I have been crying since Friday morning. My dogs are so much a part of our family. I just need some hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 AM

No, but
#3 Old 06-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

So sorry to hear such disturbing news. I hope Bella will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2006, 08:33 AM

We have a dachshund, but this has never happened to us, so I don't have much advice to give you . Could you call the vet before the 1 week is over and say she is getting worst? I am so sorry this happened! I hope everything works out for bella, she sounds like a great dog!
#5 Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

My sister has two and this happens to one or the other for up to 1-2 weeks each episode. Her dogs are given meds when it occurs. Degenerative Disc Disease is genetic in the breed they actually call it "dachshund paralysis".

You should take your dachshund to a vet:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...?P=A&A=370&S=2

http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/backdis.htm

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html
#6 Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Beginner

I'm sorry. Good luck...
#7 Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Thank you all so much for your comforting words. You just have no idea how much it helps. SeaSiren..if you don't mind me asking..when your sister's dogs have these episodes are they totally paralyzed in the back legs and they do come out of that? Bella is taking steroids. Maybe I am just being inpatient. I want her to be okay, like yesterday. I have another dachshund, Brie and now I am worried for her. She can't understand why Bella can't run and play. I am sorry if I am all over the board here..I am just frazzled. Thank you for the websites too. I am going to go there now and do some serious reading.
#8 Old 06-04-2006, 12:28 PM

Good Luck, I really hope all goes well!

oh, and I dont think you're over reacting at all
#9 Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry. I know how hard this must be. Try to be patient.
#10 Old 06-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorja64 View Post

Thank you all so much for your comforting words. You just have no idea how much it helps. SeaSiren..if you don't mind me asking..when your sister's dogs have these episodes are they totally paralyzed in the back legs and they do come out of that? Bella is taking steroids. Maybe I am just being inpatient. I want her to be okay, like yesterday. I have another dachshund, Brie and now I am worried for her. She can't understand why Bella can't run and play. I am sorry if I am all over the board here..I am just frazzled. Thank you for the websites too. I am going to go there now and do some serious reading.

Yes they drag them. Great fun when going out to "potty". Yes they have always come out of it (*knocks on wood*) generally 1-2 weeks. They little skinny one (woody, they are named Jake and Elwood one is fat and thin) last episode took 3 weeks, we were very concerned, but one day he just started using them again. She keeps a towel near them to "transport" them outside and they have to be cleaned when they come back in. (note: since her stroke her husband, my mother or I do the transporting, so not to confuse anyone on her condition).

Give it some time and a few prayers don't hurt.
#11 Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a mini dachsund, and though she has never had a problem like this (she's only three), I read in a magazine that you should never make dachsunds stand on their back legs as a trick, or hold them the wrong way, etc. because their backs are so fragile.
#12 Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Technically I have four rescue daschunds. Two are really mine and two I share custody with. Three tans and one silver dapple.

This hasn't happened to me yet, but knowing the breed I'm fully aware that at some point it's more than likely to happen to one of them.

I don't know much about it, but I do know that many that this happens to function fine on 'wheels'. Take a look at this site:

https://www-hsc.usc.edu/~bjmcmil/back.html

I know since you love your dog so you are probably worried sick, but just keep in mind that this doesn't mean that you'll lose her

Also - for the next few weeks, keep her crated. The less activity and stress she puts herself under the better!
#13 Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 PM

Thank you Alfiedog for your kind words. Thank all of you for your support. This has been such a hard week. We had Bella back at the vet on Monday. No improvement so far. She is starting to get really red and sore on her belly. She has no sensation when she has to urinate..so it just runs out of her. The vet told me to put vasoline on her and if that doesn't help he will give me an antibiotic cream. I try of an evening to sit in a chair with a couple of towels under her, to just sit and hold her and talk to her. She is sad. She hardly will look at me. She just doesn't understand and I don't understand either. The vet did say he had another dachshund patient that after 6 weeks..she started to walk again, but he was cautious in giving me much else to go on.

Alfiedog, I admire you for taking in rescue dogs. They are such a great dog. Well, any dog is great to me. My doggie family includes CoCo-shetland sheepdog, Bella-mini dachshund, Brie-mini dachshund and last but not least Louie-maltese (The Lou Man). Ok, I am rambling. Everyone have a great night and thanks again.
#14 Old 06-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrown View Post

I have a mini dachsund, and though she has never had a problem like this (she's only three), I read in a magazine that you should never make dachsunds stand on their back legs as a trick, or hold them the wrong way, etc. because their backs are so fragile.

yes, it drives me crazy the way that people have their dogs walk on their hind legs. their spines were not designed for that, and they can have serious back problems because of it. or when they let their kids pick up their dogs, and they don't provide the proper support.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

She is starting to get really red and sore on her belly.

If she is laying in the same position for much of time, I'd consider buying an "egg crate" foam pad for her to lay on. It takes the pressure off. I've seen very expensive dog beds made of the stuff, some with waterproof covers, but I'd just buy one meant for a human bed and cut it into 2 or 3 pieces.

Also, give her a bath every day to wash the urine off.

Good luck. I hope she recovers.

I think it's sad what humans have done to some breeds of dogs by intentionally breeding for certain characteristics.
#16 Old 06-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Jorja - just thought of another instance. A friend of mine has a terrier mix - I think she's about 10, Foxy. And one morning Foxy just couldn't move at all. She was just lying there. The vet offered two choices - euthanization or surgery that would cost $6000. Because of Foxy's age, my friend was going decided to take Foxy home to see how she'd be and make a decision at a later point. Foxy I believe was given steroid shots, etc. Anyway, my friend crated Foxy for extended periods - basically she was only let out for about and hour a day. Through the days/weeks Foxy was let out for longer. After about one week Foxy would walk but then fall over on her side. In any case it's been about a month and Foxy is back to normal!

I love doxies but I could never in a million years rationalize buying any dog from a breeder. I'm close to the doxie rescue in this Southern CA - in fact - here is a link to Roscoe, a dog I found through Craigslist and my ex decided to adopt:

http://www.delgadog.com/@Archive/mis..._your_help.htm

Here's a link to a national doxie rescue page: http://www.drwp.net/

Anyway, chin up jorja It may take a while to get Bella back to normal but your obvious dedication and love will go so far for her! I think there was a forum on the link I posted earlier. It may help for you to join that so you can find out what other people in similar situations have done. Please keep us updated.
#17 Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way or think I am strange in any way, but I love all of you so much. You are all helping me get through one of the worst situations I have ever been through. Even with all of my health problems I have had..it is worse having it happen to another member of my family. You all get it..you understand that my dogs are a part of my family. All this week I have talked about Bella at work and everyone has been kind about it, but to them it is "just a dog". They don't understand how deep it goes. It's nice to have a place to come and kinda pour my heart out and know that you care so much for someone you don't even know. Thank you.

I am calling the vet tomorrow to let them know about Bella's progress. I need to talk to them about her water intake. Her urine is very brown. I don't know if that is lack of water or if the steroids are doing it, but I will definitely keep you all posted.

FYI..I have told Bella about all of you. She knows so many people are pulling for her. I talk to her about everything..it helps her just to hear my voice.

What a wonderful group of people!!!
#18 Old 06-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Please don't take this the wrong way or think I am strange in any way, but I love all of you so much.

Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Yes, we all know what it is like to have something happened to a loved one - and that includes our companion animals.

Make sure Bella knows that all our postivie thoughts and love are going her way.
#19 Old 06-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Beginner

I'm sorry Jorja64. I'm thinking of you, and I understand what you're going through.
#20 Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Beginner

{{hugs}}

I hope she gets better.

You may consider getting her diapers to help keep her dry. My co-worker has a paralized dog and one dog who is bowel-incontinent and she recomends diapers that are made for crawlers. They should have elastic sides. Just cut a hole for the tail.

Steroids make you pee alot, so if she's not drinking enough her urine may be concentrated.

Good luck and I truly hope for the best.

Paige
#21 Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 AM

I hope for the best, but if that isn't the case, at least she will know she has a wonderful and loving family that stayed by her side!
#22 Old 06-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry.

Dogs are not "just dogs" to me. I really hope her condition improves.
#23 Old 06-10-2006, 07:45 PM

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you a quick update about Bella. We took her to the vet yesterday and there has been no improvement in her motor abililty. She has a bad urinary tract infection because of her inability to fully empty her bladder. The vet did prescribe an antibiotic for that and an antibiotic cream for her sore belly. I stopped on the way home from work yesterday and bought some doggie diapers. She is to be on complete crate rest. We were taking her outside several times a day, but now the vet wants as little movement of her spine as possible. There has got to be some trick to putting diapers on a dog and I don't think I have quite mastered it yet. Especially with trying to move her as little as possible. Then to top it off..she gives me this look like "i have just been violated". I am going to have one of my girls take some pics of her and I will post them on here..so you all can see my angel. She is a trooper and I love her. I will talk with you all soon. Take care!!
#24 Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Can't wait to see pics of Bella!
#25 Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Bella is lucky to have someone who cares so much for her.

Me and my gang are all rooting for her to pull through this quickly.
#26 Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Thank you kpickell. That means so much to me.

Alfiedog, I am trying to get some pics posted. I can't wait for you to see her!

All of you have a great night...
#27 Old 06-16-2006, 10:26 PM

I don't even know how to say this, but Bella passed away this afternoon. These past 2 weeks have been the worst of my life. Especially, the past few days. I could tell she was in pain a few days ago. She was crying a lot, panting, and biting at her back. When we took her to the vet he found that her colon was impacted and she had a blockage. They worked so hard to save her, but it just seemed like since she lost the feeling in the lower half of her body she was unable to empty her bladder and infection just multiplied. I am completely heart broken. Thank you all for your kind words and support the past couple of weeks. Right now..please...take the time to give your pet a hug and lots of kisses and tell them you love them. You can never tell them enough. I love you Bella.
#28 Old 06-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this awful news. At least she is no longer in pain, and in a happier place now.
#29 Old 06-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

You are wonderful person to have tried so hard for her. I'm sorry for your loss.
#30 Old 06-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

That's so sad!

What a shock it must have been to you. I'm SO sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry Bella had to go through all of that pain.

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page