what i.d do your pets have? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm considering getting Doogie microchipped, and was just wondering what i.d your cats/dogs have. at the minute, Doogie has a metal tag with his name & phone number on and one of those little tubes with the paper inside, with his address on. our cats won't wear collars so currenlty have no i.d (although thats not too much of a problem because they barely leave the garden now they're both 'getting on a bit' plus we live in a little cul de sac)

anyway, was just wondering if/how your pets are tagged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-05-2006, 04:13 PM

My 1 Year old Minature Pinscher is micro-chippped, It was one of the first things I got done, along with getting all her Needles/Shots/Rabies Vacc. My dog of 15 years before (before her) was tattooed. I was going to have that done, but then I realized, technology has changed, and micro-chipping is easier for both the animal and the one trying to read it. I don't really have very strong views against it, I did it to be safe.

BTW- She's never experienced much discomfort from it, its not visable, and she hasn't had any problems with it. When I get another Dog, I'll likely have it done again.
#3 Old 02-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Both my dogs have metal id tags, and the one who tends to run away has a microchip.

Microchips can save your dog from being euthanized if it ends up at a shelter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Bear has not been microchipped, though I've considered having it done. He has his rabies tag and also a metal tag on his collar. The metal tag has his name, our phone number and address. I've thought about getting those little magnifying tags that holds a ton of info.

My four cats don't wear collars. They are strictly indoor cats. I have thought about getting the two youngest microchipped, though. My oldest cat has a SPCA tattoo in his left ear, though, but it's too hard to read now.

Microchipping is a fairly easy procedure, isn't it? Is it an out patient sort of thing or do they normally have to stay over night? I'm probably going to discuss it with my vet when I go in next week.
#5 Old 02-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

getting a microchip implanted is very easy!

the vet just injects your dog's neck area with a huge needle that has the microchip in. then he registers your name and details on the database.

I think it might be a little painful for the dog, but its quick.

Your dog can go straight home afterwards, and there is no after treatment.
#6 Old 02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

When we first took in our two stray cats, the vet scanned them for microchips, but neither cat had one. Now, one kitty has had a chip implanted because he was scheduled to be under anethesia for teeth cleaning anyway. Both cats have been wearing safety collars with tags since day one though. Even if they stayed indoors 100% of the time (which they don't), I just don't want them to be unidentifiable should they escape or get lost.

Right now, both cats have to wear magnetic tags, to access an electronic pet door. The stickers that come with those tags are really tiny, and they don't stick unless you glue them down.
#7 Old 02-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Rascal is getting microchipped later on this month when I bring her in to get spayed.
#8 Old 02-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Both of my cats are indoor only but I have them both microchipped with an Avid chip just in case. Bizarro has no desire to go outside but Church does because we rescued him from the streets. We have a stainless steel tag that says "CHURCH REWARD" and our address on it. He also has a reflective break away collar. I just like to be safe, they are my babies.

The misrochip process is safe, it's just an injection. There are a few different brands out there now. I would suggest the Avid brand because most vets & shelters have Avid scanners and rarely carry scanners for the other brands. They are cheap too, I believe mine was $30. Church had an ISO chip and because nobody has the ISO scanners he had to be double chipped, but it was free to get him the Avid one.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#9 Old 02-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

They all have very fashionable tags. And are microchipped.
#10 Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Both my two are microchipped. The needle is large, but neither flinched when it was done (Miss Persephane was about 2 pounds at the time). My dog wears a collar with tags all the time, but those can come off. A microchip is permanant identification and will prevent someone else from trying to claim your pet. Most scanner now a days will read both AVID and HomeAgain chips, I don't think there's really any other kind in the US (just other brand names for them). No one looks for tattoos anymore, there was too much variation in how they were done and tended to get blurred later in life. I've seen a few animals saved by their chips.
#11 Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

My dog is tattooed (he was a racing greyhound), but most shelters don't know how to read those. He wears a tag collar 24/7, and a martingale when he's out side, with tags, and he's microchipped, just in case.
#12 Old 02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

My cats are indoors only and have no ID at all. *protects head from beating*

Although I'll likely ask about microchipping next time they go to the vet.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 02-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

My cat has no ID at all, either. She's survived this long, but I know she should be microchipped (no way will she wear a collar). I've been thinking about it for the entire 6 and a half years of her life though, I'll most likely never get round to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page