Do You Talk in Baby Talk To Your Pet(s)? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do You Talk Baby Talk to Your Pet(s)?
Of course I do! 0 0%
Certainly not! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I talk baby talk to my cats. I can't help it. I've never had human kids, so my cats sorta fill the "infant" gap. I say things like "Well, aren't you my poopie boopie oopie widdle moopie!" as I pet them.

In the book 250 Things You Can Do To Make Your Cat Adore You, Ingrid Newkirk tells readers NOT to talk baby talk to their cats. Cats have a dignity and presence, she says. Well, I agreed with that when I first read it.

But I just can't stop. And I've finally decided to stop feeling guilty about it. My cats will eat the food I give them and wedge themselves between my knees when I'm in bed either way.

And I know I'm not alone. I've seen my sister do it with her dog, sorta. When the dog is "ready" to go outside and do her business after meals, my sister, in the exact same voice she used when her kids were infants, says "Do you want to go pishie-poopoo?"

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

@ Ingrid Newkirk. If she thinks all cats have a "dignity," she should meet a couple of mine

We talk in "cat voice" to our cats, which is somewhat similar to baby talk. They like it. It means they know when we are talking to them.
#3 Old 01-27-2006, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

No.

My dogs are probably mentally more mature than me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2006, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn again veg View Post

No.

My dogs are probably mentally more mature than me.

I talk normal to my dog. My cats well, we have a special kind of language.
#5 Old 01-27-2006, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG, I am so guilty of this, it's humiliating!
#6 Old 01-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL, my new room mates probably think I'm insane, I had a whole long conversation with my cat before I left to get the iguana. "Are you going to be good for daddy? No? Is that because Mommy coddles her little squishy kitten? Are you mommy's squishy kitten friend?" and so on in a high pitched baby voice... My cat seems to favor me to anyone else living afaik so I guess she doesn't mind.
#7 Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Beginner

I baby talked to my cat when she was a baby but now that she is grown I talk in a normal voice to her but I use sentences like " Come to mommy." and stuff like that. I still refer to myself as mommy to her and that is the way she sees it because she hid under the bed the first time she went into labor with kittens and would not come out for me or anyone else until I said "Come to mommy baby, I'll make it better." She bolted out of the bed and straight into my arms as soon as I let the word mommy come out of my mouth lol.
#8 Old 01-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

umm... no.

I sing to them though.
#9 Old 01-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm guilty. I also talk to them as if they're human.
#10 Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Ankle Biter

Yes, and I sing stupid songs too! I do it more frequently to the Chihuahua since she's still very young (1 yr), but the old dog just doesn't seem to bring it out in me as much.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#11 Old 01-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I am actually unable to talk normally to all animals. Even if we go to the park and there's a goose walking around near us I'll start saying "Look at the little goosey poo, heeere little goosey goose". I get the stinkeye a lot
#12 Old 01-27-2006, 08:24 AM

I have a really annoying habit of talking to my pets instead of the adults in the room with me. "Isn't Sally's dress pretty? Yes it is, yes it is. You are sniffing it because she looks so nice in her new dress and haircut." I know I sound like a complete moron, but I can't stop myself. I also do this with infants, but I didn't do it with my own babies. Just animals and other kids.
#13 Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

I have "baby names" for all of my 5 cats. Boomer is my Boomer Bear Boom Boomaloom He definitely prefers being seen as the alpha male that he is, though, lol, but Balter (the other male) loooves being babied and to be carried around hanging over my shoulder (perhaps because he's only 6 months old).
#14 Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Beginner

But of course! I call Ruby and Juno "baby-girl" and Zeus "Zuesie-woosie my big baby-boy" all said in a baby voice. Weirdly enough, I've never felt compelled to speak to children like that (I don't have any).
#15 Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I talk to my soon to be two years old dog in baby and my new little ten week old black lab in baby talk i do not talk to our fish and i sort of never see our cat
#16 Old 01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

i do to my rats sometimes, but i don't think i would to cats/dogs
#17 Old 01-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I don't know that it's really "baby talk", although I answered "yes" in the poll. Let's just say I'd be embarrassed if anyone else heard how I talk to them when no humans are around.

Okay, I don't always talk dumb to them. But sometimes... for example, my cat has gotten a bit overweight, and I'm carefully measuring her food like my vet advised. I explain to her that humans have to be careful what they eat too, so they don't get sick... like, she's going to understand????!!!!....

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I see I'm in the minority, too.

I can't stand baby talk. I hated it when I was a kid, and hate seeing other people do it to babies, kids and animals. So I don't do it myself.

But I do still talk to the animals. Just not in a baby voice.
#19 Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. Embarrassingly, yes. To my rats a little bit, to my sister's cat a little bit, but to my Molly (cat) a whole lot.

I don't refer to myself as her mum/mommy, though. I'm 'her Katie'.
#20 Old 01-27-2006, 12:33 PM

I would never use that horrible baby-talk voice, no. But I do talk to my dog and give him spur of the moment nic-names, like Chipper, Chipper chu, Chipper roo, Goober roo, etc. I do it to my mouse too (Zoomy zoo!), but never to cats.
#21 Old 01-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm more likely to insult my cat than baby-talk her - she doesnt seem to mind as long as she gets fed or stroked.

One of my friends pointed out that my cat actually answers to smelly beast and fleabag now, so maybe i should talk nicer
#22 Old 01-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

@ Ingrid Newkirk. If she thinks all cats have a "dignity," she should meet a couple of mine

We talk in "cat voice" to our cats, which is somewhat similar to baby talk. They like it. It means they know when we are talking to them.

same with us.
#23 Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't talk "baby talk" to my cat, no. but i don't talk "baby talk" to little children or babies, either.

i DO use a softer tone of voice, however.
#24 Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I call my cat Marcie "Moo-moo"! When I feel really baby-talky, I call her "Moo-moo kitty-witty baby"!
#25 Old 01-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

No. I speak to my dogs in full sentences with a good variety of vocabulary and.....well, before I had dogs, I talked to myself. Now I talk to them. Only, I talk a lot more and about a wider range of subjects.

And I HAVE caught myself asking them a question and then pausing while looking expectantly at them for an answer. Sure, they can answer "Who wants to go poop in the park?" But when I ask for their OPINION on something like the layout of a class handout and then wait for an answer....that's gotta be trouble!
#26 Old 01-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdance62 View Post

But of course! I call Ruby and Juno "baby-girl" and Zeus "Zuesie-woosie my big baby-boy" all said in a baby voice. Weirdly enough, I've never felt compelled to speak to children like that (I don't have any).

heh heh, i call my cat "babygirl", "fuzzbuns", and "puddin' paws" so of course she gets some babytalk (but she loves being coddled and snuggled, so she must like it)

My sister and I actually developed a "language" that our cats talk back to us in. It's sassy. I just think it's funny to know a cat so well that sometimes you do know what they are thinkin' when you talk to them.
#27 Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

no, but i talk in a higher tone to birds because it catches their interest more.
#28 Old 01-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't say I use "baby talk", but I do use a lighter tone of voice and it's more of a "sweet talk". They know when I'm talking to them rather than talking to other people.
#29 Old 01-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

No. I speak to my dogs in full sentences with a good variety of vocabulary and.....well, before I had dogs, I talked to myself. Now I talk to them. Only, I talk a lot more and about a wider range of subjects.

And I HAVE caught myself asking them a question and then pausing while looking expectantly at them for an answer. Sure, they can answer "Who wants to go poop in the park?" But when I ask for their OPINION on something like the layout of a class handout and then wait for an answer....that's gotta be trouble!

I'm surprised how much dogs understand. My sister and her dog were once staying with me. One day, my sister was out and her dog and I were in the house. For some reason, I asked him, "Where's Kathy?" (that's my sister's name). He got up, his ears pricked up, and he looked out the front window, apparently expecting to see her coming down the sidewalk.

I knew he was very loyal to my sister, but had NO IDEA he actually knew my sister's name!!! But he did.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#30 Old 01-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I talk to them in a higher than usual tone, but regular words, although the content leaves something to be desired.

I say things to them like, "Does Zephyr wanna come see me? Who wants to come be a lap kitty, hmm? Yes, you're a good kitty, you're quite a kitty, what a kitty, yes you are!" Repeating, "What a kitty! Yes you are! Yes, you're quite a kitty!" while I pet him and he rolls around in spasms of ecstasy has become de rigeur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page