Question about iguanas. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

If anyone tells you not to listen to melissa kaplan they are full of ****. She is the iguana expert and I would need serious research to even consider going against her advice. People who take care of their iguanas like she tells them to have iguanas who are typically handable and almost always healthy, I've heard good things about james hatfiled's book as well, but I've not read it yet.

ETA: triangle also requires that you own a copy of melissa's book
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Ok. I am reading her site now on ball pythons cause I want to know what happened with Grim...
#33 Old 01-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

excellent idea, I would never get another reptile (especially a more difficult to care for one) without finding out exactly what had happened to the last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Beginner

I think he had IBD from the time I got him from the store... He shed in tiny little pieces and I had to help him shed. He was never shy when I touched his head or anything. And the site said contorted body positions which might explain sleeping upside down in the water bowl.
#35 Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Beginner

>.< They have an iguana in Greensboro... Not so sure the Guilford County Animal Shelter is the best place for an iguana either lol.
#36 Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Those are all things he should have seen a vet for, and he also should have seen a vet when you first brought him home, no matter what sort of pet you want to get you're going to have to be much more uptight about veterinary care. Something as simple as a change in schedule could be a sign of something deadly to your iguana/bearded dragon, snake, etc.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but I want even less for more animals to die.
#37 Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMistweave View Post

>.< They have an iguana in Greensboro... Not so sure the Guilford County Animal Shelter is the best place for an iguana either lol.

Probably no, iggy was in a little room on a cold floor with one heat light when I got him from the mecklenburg shelter. They also made me take a quiz on iguana care and then the staff had to call someone to get the correct answers.
#38 Old 01-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Beginner

I took him to the vet >.> I was about 3 years younger at the time and I guess the vet was not that great with snakes because they said nothing was wrong and they were supposed to shed in pieces.
#39 Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, a lot of vets that "treat" reptiles actually kill them, I would start meeting and quizing vets before you get another one. Everything with reptiles is so specialized, you can't even use the same anticoagulant when drawing blood as you do on mammals.
#40 Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Beginner

I found a new vet over in Charlotte that is good with lizards and snakes. So if I get another reptile of any sort it will go straight to him to be checked out.
#41 Old 01-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

What vet in Charlotte? I just moved from Charlotte to Wilmington so I have a pretty good idea of Charlotte vets.
#42 Old 01-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Gir! I don't have the card with his name on it right now but he is over near the Bass Pros Shop mall thing.
#43 Old 01-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

By concord mills? I don't know anyone out there but get me the name and I'll e-mail my vet about it and see if he checks out. I wish I could get you in with Dr. breckwald but he doesn't see new patients anymore and its super hard for established patients to get an appointment.
#44 Old 01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Beginner

I'll have to find the card I got...But yeah it is Concord Mills lol. I can't ever remember the name. I don't get out much. If there was a vet closer to me in Greensboro or High Point I would probably go there instead of Charlotte but noone knows if they are any good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page