No Jump harness for dogs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Any idea what these are called? It's a harness that prevents jumping yet the dog can still walk and run normally. I need one now! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

An anti jump dog harness or restraint would be the term. I've never used one.

http://shop.petsmart.com/product/253...4441782008.htm

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-col...t-harness.html
#3 Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

When is your dog jumping? If it's when off leash, then the ones listed above should be good. If it's on walks, try a gentle leader. They are also available at PetsMart and most other dog supply stores and some vet clinics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

She jumps on anyone who enters the house or in the morning when she sees someone for the first time that day. We dont walk her though, she has a large fenced in backyard.
#5 Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Banned

Awwww...

She's just showing that she loves you, and wants to play.
#6 Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

Awwww...

She's just showing that she loves you, and wants to play.

LOL..I know..but she is a big dog!
#7 Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried having everyone consistently turn away from her and ignore her when she jumps? It sounds like a dominance issue to me.
#8 Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^^^^ What she said.

And despite the big back yard, she still needs to go for walks, for physical as well as mental exercise, and to learn how to behave in public.

I think Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com) might sell no jump harnesses.
#9 Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

If she's jumping on people, you need to teach her "off". When she jumps on you push her down and say "off". Then make here sit and praise her for sitting. She will quickly learn that she needs to sit for attention. Also when she jumps, you can put you knee up so she hits it. You're not trying to hit her, but she slams into something uncomfortable and falls back down, also give the "off" command. Still get the gentle leader and use it with a lead line while in the house . When she goes to jump on someone, you hold the line so she falls back to her feet when she jumps and give the "off" command. Then make her sit and reward her when she does. The gentle leader gives two natural dog commands that she will understand. One is to close the mouth like the pack leader would do to subordinates. The other is at the nape of the neck as mommy dog does to make her pups behave. They are both across bony parts so they are not being choked or hurt.

Dogs are social critters and do not get sufficient exercise when left in a yard by themselves. She still needs to go for walks. It's a great opportunity to get her used to meeting strangers and learning to sit for attention. It's also a wonderful way to strengthen your bond with her.
#10 Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

If she's jumping on people, you need to teach her "off". When she jumps on you push her down and say "off". Then make here sit and praise her for sitting. She will quickly learn that she needs to sit for attention. Also when she jumps, you can put you knee up so she hits it. You're not trying to hit her, but she slams into something uncomfortable and falls back down, also give the "off" command. Still get the gentle leader and use it with a lead line while in the house . When she goes to jump on someone, you hold the line so she falls back to her feet when she jumps and give the "off" command. Then make her sit and reward her when she does. The gentle leader gives two natural dog commands that she will understand. One is to close the mouth like the pack leader would do to subordinates. The other is at the nape of the neck as mommy dog does to make her pups behave. They are both across bony parts so they are not being choked or hurt.

Dogs are social critters and do not get sufficient exercise when left in a yard by themselves. She still needs to go for walks. It's a great opportunity to get her used to meeting strangers and learning to sit for attention. It's also a wonderful way to strengthen your bond with her.

We have done the "off" thing for 5 months. It aint workin'
#11 Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

^^^^^^ What she said.

And despite the big back yard, she still needs to go for walks, for physical as well as mental exercise, and to learn how to behave in public.

I think Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com) might sell no jump harnesses.

There is no "public" per se. I'm in the woods
#12 Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you sure to do it consistently, every time she jumps? If a dog gets away with something even one time, she'll take is as a cue to try it again . . . and again . . . and again. A dog will also learn really fast who will put up with the jumping and who won't, so everyone needs to be consistent.

Personally, I've had a lot of success with the turning away/knocking the dog down and then ignoring them. I taught my "girls" this way from puppyhood. It also worked wonders with my husky, who hadn't been taught any manners in the first year of his life until I got him. It's also working well with the "spare" husky I have at the moment, again over a year old and never been worked with.
#13 Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Are you sure to do it consistently, every time she jumps? If a dog gets away with something even one time, she'll take is as a cue to try it again . . . and again . . . and again. A dog will also learn really fast who will put up with the jumping and who won't, so everyone needs to be consistent.

Personally, I've had a lot of success with the turning away/knocking the dog down and then ignoring them. I taught my "girls" this way from puppyhood. It also worked wonders with my husky, who hadn't been taught any manners in the first year of his life until I got him. It's also working well with the "spare" husky I have at the moment, again over a year old and never been worked with.

That can be the issue. My girls dance with her when she jumps even though I tell them to say "OFF!" :::sigh:::

Hannah (the dog) came to us at about 7 months old with no training.
#14 Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

That can be the issue. My girls dance with her when she jumps even though I tell them to say "OFF!" :::sigh:::

It sounds like your girls need a time out when they let her do this. It's a potentially dangerous situation if she learns it's fun and allowed to jump on little kids whenever she wants to. She needs to learn good manners for a time when she might encounter other people.
#15 Old 12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

Your girls sound like my parents, I've learned all about dog training to help them with their dogs, and they won't do a damn thing I say, just complain when the dogs don't magically behave.
#16 Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Ignoring a dog when she misbehaves is a powerful reprimand. That's what Alpha wolves do to subordinates when they don't act right. Dogs know if they don't get back into the Alpha's good graces, they won't get fed (they don't know you won't refuse to feed them).
#17 Old 12-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I back up what Wolfie said about training and especially about the need for exercise and walks. Especially with a large dog. Exercise needs to come before any training.
#18 Old 12-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never used them on my dogs, but I heard through the grapevine some of them rub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page