too soon to get another rabbit? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

as you may know, i lost both my lovely bunnies to mxyomatosis within 10days of eachother.Harvey was put too sleep on 23rd september and Ralph on 3rd october (5days before & 5days after my 18th birthday)

i took it really badly and cried alot.

anyway, i've come to terms with it now & although i still find it hard, i take comfort in knowing that they didn't have to be apart.

i feel ready to give another bunny a home.i've bought a new hutch & everything else.the vet told me it was safe to have another rabbit as long as it was vaccinated (which it definately will be!)so i'm good to go - just need a rabbit now, but do you think its too soon? it'll be a month tomorrow since i lost Ralph.i do feel ready but i have a slight pang of guilt because i was so angry at myself when i lost the other two.although saying that, i feel that another bunny will help rid me of my guilt and remind me of the good times & fun that a bunny brings to me.

so what do you think? i think i just need a bit of reassurance.

thanks

Zoey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

NOPE!! I say, you love rabbits, I know from experience there are always lots of rabbits that need homes so go for it. As long as you are going in with the understanding that you cannot replace the rabbits you lost... Please try to get a bonded pair. 2 rabbits are so much happier (and emotionally healthier) than 1.

Good Luck!!
#3 Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

If you want a bunny, then get one = )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Different people grieve in different ways, and some take longer than other. I have a friend who lost a beloved cat a couple of years ago (she had shared 18 years with this cat) and still isn't ready to get another one, even though I've recommended to her several times that a new kitten might be just the thing to keep her remaining cat company and bring some fun to both their lives.

To me, a month seems awfully soon. But you should do what feels right to you. Just be careful to avoid the trap of trying to emotionally replace Harvey and Ralph. Your new bunny is a new individual with her own personality and habits. She will be unique and special in her own way.
#5 Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It's such a personal thing, obviously nothing will ever replace Harvey and Ralph, but if you're ready, adopting another pair would be a beautiful way to remember them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page