Dead Pets Society...long gone pets - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I originally posted this in the funny dog stories thread but as it is not funny I thought I'd start a new thread & ask fellow VBers to share their experiences (if any) in a similar vein...

I had a dog many years ago.

He was a rescue dog, I committed burglary & took him from an aquaintance who was mistreating him. He knew I broke in & had taken the dog & never reported my crime.

Anyway, this dog was great, I hardly ever had to tell him anything, I just thought it & often he'd do exactly what I was thinking!

I had to leave this dog behind when I emmigrated to a different country (broke my heart that did - I still get teary about that boo hoo) but I really had no choice. I left him with a good friend to care for him but unfortunately we lost contact. A few years later after settling into my new continent I decided to get another dog.

Soon after getting the new dog I had a vivid dream about my old dog (I NEVER EVER DREAM - that I can remember anyway) & in the dream he was playing with me & my new dog & 'telling' me it was ok I had a new dog & he was glad & to look after my new dog as I had looked after him. In this dream I somehow knew my old dog was dead.

After dreaming of him I really tried to get in contact with the friend I had left him with on the other side of the world & I eventually managed to track him down. He told me my beloved canine friend had died at about the same time that I had had the dream.

Another pet from beyond story: A friend of mine who was really close to his Staffy says that after his dog died he still sometimes hears her 'breathing & sighing' in the night at the foot of his bed, just as she used to do.

I also remember reading a book about near death experiences in which an old man who'd been a soldier in World War One said that during his NDE, he travelled through a tunnel towards an all-encompassing light to find himself being greeted by his horse of sixty years earlier. He spent wonderful moments being nuzzled and loved by his horse, which looked in perfect health, young and strong, even though the last time the old man had seen him, the horse had been in a dreadful state on the battlefield. Then, regretfully, the old man had found himself back on the operating table in the 'real world'. After this experience, the old solider said he had no fear of death and in fact was looking forward to it, because he knew his horse awaited him. The old man was greatly moved by his experience. Previously, he'd had no great expectations re: life after death and had certainly never expected to see his horse again, in fact he hadn't thought of that horse for many years.

I wonder how strong the bond between animals & humans is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Gone dog it, that's a great story! (Sorry, couldn't resist. )

I have no stories of my own, but I did read an excellent book a while back called Kindred Spirits: The Remarkable Bond Between Humans and their Companion Animals (forgot the author), and it was full of many such stories, too many to discount.
#3 Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM

We are coming up on the first anniversary of our Ruby's passing (cancer). She was a littermate to Angus (in my avatar). A friend asked me if the avatar was her and I said no way. They asked why and I said that I still can't bear to look at her pictures. It upsets my husband that I don't want to talk about her. I just miss her and still can't believe she is gone. She has been on my mind an awful lot the past few days. I hope I get to see her again.

trac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a cat that died like 5 years ago. I still think about him, I still miss him, and I still sometimes cry. He was a great kitty.
#5 Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

i still miss my bunnies really badly.our dinning room window over looks what was their pen & i swear i can still see them through the fence sometimes out of the corner of my eye.i like to think their still hopping around together out there...
#6 Old 11-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I always have a house full of animals so death is something I see often. Earlier this year my dog of 15 years passed away and so did one of my cats. When I lose a companion animal, I look at it like that there is now room to save another. In the past year I have obtained a dog, a kitten (now 8 weeks old), 2 lizards and 2 birds.
#7 Old 11-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I still miss my budgie, Herbie. It wasn't her time to die, she broke her leg and it was all my fault. I still cry about it today and dream about her.
#8 Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Beginner

I also have a house full of animals, since I keep a variety of rats, mice, hamsters, reptiles etc. I see death too often, mostly since the rodents don't live very long I wish they could live to be 20 years or so, but then I probably couldn't have had so many rescues :P Just a list of what I have lost in my pet keeping. I know it seems a lot, but keep in mind most of these animals were old rescues, and the other rescues were sick when I got them and despite vet care, couldn't be saved

Ozzy, Eve, and Cheech- trio of banded geckos that despite numerous vet visits and high bills, were too sick when I got them

Oliver- crested gecko rescued (had a broken jaw)

Kermit- red legged pan frog (old age) lived to be 6

Frankie- green tree frog (old age) lived to be 6-7

Muad'Dib and Mobuddha- two horned frogs that died of metabolic bone disease because Petco never gave them calcium powder. I had them both for a short time before they had to be put to sleep

Tristan- rat rescue old age

Pookah- Tristan's brother , old age

Skeeter- rat born here from a rescued pregnant rat (internal abcess)

Casper- rat born here as well from same rat (old age)

Howie and Gus- mice that died within 2 weeks of being here. One from an abcess in his mouth that made him need to be put to sleep. Gus had heart problems and died in his sleep. Their brother Brownie is alive and doing great a year later.

metallica- baby newt (ill)

Herbie- Hermit crab that died from stress two weeks after coming here. He hardly came out of his shell, even when I got him. His two buddies are doing well here.

Homer- my hamster Nemo's Dad. he was rescued from a family that couldn't take care of him, like his son. He died of old age at 2 years old.
#9 Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

I always have a house full of animals so death is something I see often. Earlier this year my dog of 15 years passed away and so did one of my cats. When I lose a companion animal, I look at it like that there is now room to save another. In the past year I have obtained a dog, a kitten (now 8 weeks old), 2 lizards and 2 birds.

I know exactly what you mean about the rescuing part. I learned the hard way not to rescue sick animals, as sooner or later, if the disease is already too embedded in the pet, that they will die. It's a sad fact of life. I'm glad that I have my animal communicator friend who can contact those I've lost so far.
#10 Old 11-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My parents had to put my childhood dog, Melrose, to sleep last year. She had diabetes, but by the time they found out about it, she was too sick and wasn't responding to treatment. We had gotten her when I was 10...she was born exactly on my 10th birthday, so every year, I would take a dog biscuit and wrap a pancake around it and give it to her on our birthday. She was such a funny dog.. very spastic.. she would nip me in the butt whenever I would jump in the pool, we would go exploring together in the woods, and I would always share my ice cream cone with her when I was still young enough to not care about germs (and not realize that ice cream was bad for dogs) I used to be terrified of thunderstorms, and I would hold her and cry until the storm went away.. Once I got over my fear of storms, she became terrified of them. It brings tears to my eyes to think about her being gone. She was a big part of my later childhood/teenage years...I have so many good memories of her.

According to the vet, because of the corn-based cheap dog food we gave her (none of us knew much about dog food...d*mn you Purina..D*MN YOU!!), she had gotten diabetes (despite the fact that she was in such good physical shape from doing so much swimming and running.)

One day, my parents had noticed (I live about 3000 miles away from them) that she had these "pockets" of water on her body, and she had been drinking excessive amounts of water, then would puke it back up. They took her to the vet on a Thursday afternoon, and they were told that she was in such bad shape, they would be lucky if she lasts through the weekend. My parents were shocked because only a week ago, she seemed fine.. maybe a little extra thirsty, but nothing to cause concern. The vet offered to start insulin treatment, but since her labs came back so out of whack, it probably wouldn't do much good, and wouldn't be worth the money (they are very very expensive). So my parents brought her home, hoping that she would die peacefully with them at her side.

She made it through the weekend to everyone's amazement... that Monday, my father was sitting down reading the newspaper when he heard her go outside to patio where the pool was at. He waited a few minutes to go check on her, and when he did, he found her in the pool on one of the steps, with her favorite ball in her mouth. Because of how weak she was, he knew that if he hadn't walked outside when he did, she would've drowned once she could no longer stand, and she was too weak to jump out. My dad then decided it was time to take her to the vet and have her put down because he couldn't stand to see her suffer. I don't think I've ever cried as much as when I had heard that she was put to sleep and I couldn't be there those last few moments with her.

Rest in peace Mel Mel. I love you.
#11 Old 11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

ahh angeline17, your story made me cry i'm so sorry that you couldn't be there at the end.

i lost my dog when i was 11 - i'd known him since i was born,that was really tough too.

i hope you have lots of lovely happy memories of your melrose.
#12 Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

What a sad story about Melrose.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 11-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It makes me cry just thinking about her. Even though she was loopy, she was such an awesome dog. I think I cried for days after my parents told me that they had to put her to sleep.
#14 Old 11-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for this, bjorn again veg. When I first read it, the first anniversay of my dog's death was approaching (Nov. 16) and I'd been dreading it for at least 2 months beforehand. While I will never get over him and the way that he died, this certainly helped me a lot. I'd been going crazy with worry wondering where he was now. Now I have hope that he's waiting for me.
#15 Old 11-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Banned

I miss my dog Brodie. He was a Scottish Terrier that we got when I was four. He zipped into the living room one Christmas and my Sister and I kept asking, "Can we keep him?"

Being four, I thought he was a stuffed animal. Soon after we got him I went to give him a great big hug when he was sleeping in the corner. I surprised him, and he almost chewed off half my face. ...Luckily my parents ignored the pleadings of my Grandmother to put him to sleep.

That one incident was the only time Brodie wasn't my best friend. I would take him for walks, and he would pull at the leash tugging the 5 or 7 year old (my sister) who was walking him. As Scottie dogs can be fiesty, and unneutered males even more so, it was almost like giving a kid a weapon to carry around. People approaching would see this tiny 5 year old walking this snarling snapping Scottie dog trying to get off his leash. It was like their very existance depended upon the wavering strength of the young child to hold back the dog.

Scottie dogs are black and brindle. My sister got determined to pick out all of his brindle hairs. (She thought he looked more handsome black.) ...This was bad enough when Brodie was young, and mostly black, but became difficult for him as he got older and peppered with more white/grey hairs. He could always rely on me to tackle my sister when I discovered her doing this. I think that's why he would always lick my face, but would never lick my sisters.

Well Brodie suffered through being the first dog we ever had as part of the family. He was never off-leash trained as I always would train dogs to have the freedom now. And because he wouldn't stop digging in the trash, my father invented this mousetrap contraption with a sponge on it to discourage Brodie from trying to ferret around in the garbage. (...Poor Brodie.)

He's up in dog heaven right now. Probably playing with a soccer ball, which was one of his favorite thing to do. ...Sorry we weren't better owners Brodie. We were just a little new at it.
LL
LL
LL
#16 Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

...Sorry we weren't better owners Brodie. We were just a little new at it.

aaah, that statement bought a tear to my eye vegan4health.

Thanks everyone for your posts...
#17 Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

We had a cat who was diabetic. We had to leave town for a few days so we put him up at our (then) vet's boarding facility. They decided not to monitor his blood sugar and by the time they got around to calling us, he was in a coma. He had so much brain damage we had to put him down. That place should be put out of business, but I guess I would be satisified if whoever was on duty that night got fired. Never found out though.
#18 Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Oh the memories of gone pets

Lacy- My first dog - I was 9 when I got her from a shelter, she was born there - The most painful loss of a pet in my life. Lacy and I did obedience and agility competitions together. She pulled a little cart too (she loved it) I loved her beyond belief. Lacy taught me how rewarding working with a dog is and how the canine heart is pure and forgiving. All she wanted was love and to be with humans. Lacy gave me unconditional love through the death of my father and was by my side through the darkest times of my life.

Lacys death was my fault. I left the gate open by accident when taking the trash to the curb one evening. She wandered out to visit her dog friend across the street and was hit by a car going about 40mph. I heard a screech and a yelp and my stomach sank, I knew it was her. I took her to the ER vet and her back was broken. They said she would never use her back legs again and would need to wear a diaper. She was also bleeding from her ears from a head injury. I looked into her eyes and took about 20 minutes to gather myself and my thoughts. I signed the paper to end her pain. It all happened so fast that I was in shock and denial for days. I buried her in the mountains by a clearing. It took me 3 hours to dig her grave. My boyfriend at the time tried to help me but it was something I needed to do on my own. He sat out with me until I was done at about 2 am. I still visit her grave to this day. I still have her winter coat. It smells like her.

It has taken me 7 years to get another dog. I just worked with my local shelter until I knew I was ready. I am overly protective of my puppy Kocoa. When she went in the hospital from eating a bunch of toy stuffing I relived Lacy's death all over again. I think I am trying to make up for my terrible mistake that cost me my best friend.

~~~Lacy Renee~~~

April 27, 1987, Bountiful, Utah - October 6, 1997, San Diego, California
#19 Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

that was a touching story Arlina, made me cry.

All the best with Kocoa
#20 Old 12-09-2005, 05:05 PM

I will have been without my Bruno in my life for 1/2 year on the 26th of this month. I miss him like crazy and still cry quite a bit if I think about it too much.

I do have dreams about him, which are comforting. In them, I'm just holding him and petting him, and he is so happy. I feel like he's telling me that it's okay where he is now. I wake from them feeling at peace, which is a big change for me. My dreams of Bruno are the only dreams I have that I remember that are good. Every other dream I ever remember upon waking is always a bad one.

"All the miles that separate

Disappear now when I'm dreamin' of your face

I'm here without you baby

But you're still on my lonely mind

I think about you baby and I dream about you all the time

I'm here without you baby

But you're still with me in my dreams

And tonight, there's only you and me."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page