Update on South Central Dog - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw pics that my collegue took today of the dog and he did not look well. So I told her to go home immediately and take him to the vet. She called me from home in tears as he was seizuring and foaming at the mouth. Of course, told her to take him to the vet. She just called from there . . . they took him in the back and are waiting for results. F**K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

What dog? Please post a link.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 09-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh no. That doesn't sound good. I had a foster dog for one day that was in a similar situation. They put him on prednisone, but the seizures got worse and he had one he couldn't get out of.

If he makes it though, have them line up an appointment with a neurologist asap to find out the real reason rather than just a vet who may likely just treat the seizures and not the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Amy in this section I posted two questions about the dog:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=42975

and humping dog.
#5 Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 09-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Ankle Biter

Gosh - that explains so much! Please keep us posted - poor guy - poor friend!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 09-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh.... somehow missed the updates in that thread. I would have shrugged off the growling/biting in the crate as a normal behavior for a scared dog... but combined with the seizures, it's very concerning. I'll definetely keep little guy in my thoughts and I hope it's nothing serious.
#8 Old 09-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm actually kind of relieved that he did bit her today. I know she had already dismissed having a dog in her mind, but because of the bit it became more imperative to find him a home . . . and it was only becoz of that that I saw pics of him and realized he was sick. If that didn't happen she would have gotten home late and that poor dog would have been suffering all day long.
#9 Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

The vet thinks it's rabies, so I think he'll be put down.
#10 Old 09-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Was the dog not vaccinated? I'd go for a second opinion from a neuroligist.
#11 Old 09-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Was the dog not vaccinated? I'd go for a second opinion from a neuroligist.

He was vaccinated they day they adopted him - last Wednesday.

Unfortunately they aren't going to do that. And unless I take responsibility of the dog, I can't make them. And I'm just in no position to do that

Sadly, if the dog is so sick, maybe this is the most humane thing to do. L.A. seems to be in panick mode now with the influx of New Orleans animals coming in.

I think I feel so sick
#12 Old 09-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really sorry to hear this. I guess it takes a couple months between a dog getting rabies and showing signs like that, so it could be rabies. All that stuff combined, euthanisia might be the best option. It's so unfair. (btw, If your friend was bitten, she'll need checked out as well.) I am sorry-- I know how much you care for every dog you get involved with.
#13 Old 09-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

SH** I am so sorry. Sometimes these things sure suck.
#14 Old 09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm so sorry for everyone involved! I sure hope the skin wasn't broken with the bite. Jeeze - poor girl is never going to want another animal ever - and who could blame her!!! But please don't feel bad - no one could have known, and it sure sounds like you made the right call by seeing that it was sick and having the vet see the dog.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#15 Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

She won't want to get a dog for a long time. I went from being really pissed at her to feeling so sorry for her - she could barely talk she was crying so much. When she does want a dog I hope I can convince her to rescue.
#16 Old 09-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. Now I feel bad for your friend, as well as the dog and you. Before, I didn't think too much of your friend. But if he bit her, she definitely needs to get treated NOW.
#17 Old 09-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

AlfieDog, how is your friend? I am thinking she is probably feeling guilty for wanting this dog gone and obviously this was not what she had in mind.... Can I ask - what was his name? I want to light a candle for him....
#18 Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not talking to my friend today. The more I thought about it over the weekend the more pissed off I got. I spoke to her Friday after she calmed down and the vet didn't say it was rabies most probably, the vet said it could be rabies . . . and further they weren't going to do the rabies test because it is very expensive. I know that's illegal because if they thought it was rabies there could be a rabies outbreak in L.A. right now that needs to be controlled (two rescuers who were helping me are looking into this - hopefully the body wasn't immediately cremated.)

If it was me or any of my good friends, we'd have gone for second, third opinions to make sure. But I think 'my friend' basically had disassociated from this poor dog and subconsciously thought it was the easy way out. I don't think she did it maliciously or anything.

His name was Lloyd . . . poor little guy. Thank you Noelson.
#19 Old 09-12-2005, 12:52 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

oh sweet mother......!

I'll keep the little guy in my thoughts. It sounds like it was a rotten situation all around.
#20 Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting. Wouldn't the vet be bound by law to perform the rabies test even after the euthanasia? Isn't your friend going to make sure she doesn't have rabies.

Well, I guess she got her wish.
#21 Old 09-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Interesting. Wouldn't the vet be bound by law to perform the rabies test even after the euthanasia? Isn't your friend going to make sure she doesn't have rabies.

I would think so. I think it's even illegal to not do the test and not to inform the public.

Quote:
Well, I guess she got her wish.

#22 Old 09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

That's sad.

Are vets able to test for rabies without killing the animal? I was wondering that.
#23 Old 09-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

That's sad.

Are vets able to test for rabies without killing the animal? I was wondering that.

Nope . . . they can only test once they are dead. I think it's because they have to test on brain tissue.
#24 Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I put his picture here so that if he's looking down he knows people cared . . .

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...p?i=5763&c=502

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...p?i=5764&c=502
#25 Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

#26 Old 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Yea, me too. What a sweetie he was. RIP Sweet Lloyd.
#27 Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Any vet has the obligation to test any animal that is suspected of having rabies, our first concern legally is supposed to be public health. If the dog had rabies and bit her, there could be very serious concequences for her.

Incidently, the incubation time for rabies can be weeks to months (typically no more than 6 months) depending on where the bite occured. It travels along nerves and not in the blood to the brain, then down nerves to the salivary glands. Within ten days of arriving in the salivary gland (and being infectious), neurolgical signs will become evident. At this time the only way to test for the disease is by examination of brain tissue (which requires death to obtain).
#28 Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

Any vet has the obligation to test any animal that is suspected of having rabies, our first concern legally is supposed to be public health. If the dog had rabies and bit her, there could be very serious concequences for her..

I would think so - as then the shelter would need to be informed immediately. In any case, we informed the L.A. Animal Services to look into this. It does look more like he was in his final stages of distemper though. Although wouldn't there be other signs leading up to it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page