Cats and Tuna - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just curious. Is it okay to feed a cat a little bit of tuna or other canned meat? I read somewhere on here that it isn't good at all, and after my mom presented me a can of tuna to use as a treat, I was wondering whether or not it was alright.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I always thought that canned tuna was too high in sodium for cats. Maybe there's some sodium-free canned tuna available, I don't know.
#3 Old 09-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm.. I doubt it's wonderful for them, what with all the mercury and other creepy things lurking in fish.. but I doubt it's a whole lot worse for them than commercial cat food with all the preservatives and chemicals and stuff in that. We feed kitty some canned tuna or fresh baked/grilled fish every night because the doctor said it's fine and she gives it to her cats every night too. Also, my cat would morph into a 6-foot tall, red-glowy-eyed, fang-toothed demon beast from hell if we didn't

However, I wouldn't give kitty anything other than some daily tuna or fresh cooked fish or MAYBE some fresh, plain grilled chicken once in a looong while, simply because... how often in nature do you see a little alley cat chomping on a fresh cow carcass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh I bet if there was a fresh cow carcass available in an alley that those little alley cats most definetely would be chomping down on it. :P

As for tuna, I hadn't heard it being bad for cats. I know they sure LOVE the smell.
#5 Old 09-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

the sodium is probably not so good, and apparently too much fish of any kind can cause vitamin e deficiency, but it looks like you can give them a small amount of water packed tuna.
#6 Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 PM

I've heard from a few different sources that too much fish can cause thiamin deficiencies. So, as a snack every once and a while it's probably fine.
#7 Old 09-12-2005, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

My three cats get a tin between them once a week - I try and buy the stuff in spring water, otherwise they have the tuna in oil. Avoid tuna in brine and it shouldn't be too high in salt. All the cats love it but one in particular goes bonkers for it - tuna night is definitely his favourite night of the week!
#8 Old 09-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The majority of your cats diet should be a balanced cat food. Tuna can be a part of that balance or just little treats. A whole can of tune should go bad before your get to feed all of it to your cat or you are giving too much at once. A diet of fish (especially fatty ones) is bad. Fats are oxidents and the fish have little to no antioxident to counter that damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page