Humping Nuisance - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend just adopted a dog from a very high kill shelter here. He's a poodle/terrier mix of sorts. She just picked him up today - she adopted him last week and had to go on vacation, so he got fixed, was boarded and groomed. He's about one year old - maybe a bit older. We don't know much about him . . . anyway we went and picked him up today and have found that he's a MAJOR humper. My arms are all scratched up. I've never really had a problem with a dog humping before so I don't know what kind of advice I can give her.

From everything I've read, it says to nip that behavior off right away. A stern "NO" and a tap on the nose should do it.

Any other advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank god it's not her husband was the first thing that came to my mind...

Humping could be a sign of dominance - ie he is trying to become the pack leader.I have 2 females and 1 male dog and when I got him, he did not hump me (thank god, he is 85lbs) but he did try to with the dog that was not the leader amongst the 2 dogs - therefore looking to place himself in the number 2 position (he ended up #3) amongst the dogs. I am guessing that since she has no other dog (?) this is where the struggle lies - between herself, you or whomever the dog sees as part of the pack.

This link tells a little about how to be the pack leader. I actually do alot of what said there.

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...ckleader.shtml

OK, here are 2 about Humping - good lord, who knew there was so much information about it?

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=47

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...106&A=1591&S=0
#3 Old 09-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell her to rub her leg with Bengay, believe me he will learn FAST not to hump!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Ankle Biter

And a squirt gun is always a good mood deflater!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 09-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

It IS a dominance behaviour that needs to be re-directed. It shouldn't be allowed to continue for future training can be affected by it... the links provided are pretty much all inclusive and should answer questions.

But yeah, it is something you want to stop as soon as possible.
#6 Old 09-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

It's her first dog and he's brand spanking new. He apparently was a stray and she has just had him this afternoon.

I'm pretty sure he's like, okay I'm gonna be boss here . . . here's this dog from the hood and all of a sudden he's driving around in a Benz and living near the beach. Got to love stories like that.

I told her to go out and buy a water gun.

Thanks for the links Noelson - I'll forward them to her!
#7 Old 09-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If he's newly neutered, it does take a few weeks for his testosterone level to go down. Just cause he can't make more, doesn't mean the old stuff isn't still circulating through his blood.

A trainer is a good idea too.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll defenitely have to try some of this stuff with the dog next door. I babysit there and their black lab which probably weighs 80 lbs atleast is constantly humping me and since he's so big, I have trouble getting him off.
#9 Old 09-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I'll defenitely have to try some of this stuff with the dog next door. I babysit there and their black lab which probably weighs 80 lbs atleast is constantly humping me and since he's so big, I have trouble getting him off.

Im sorry misq! I found that part that I bolded WILDLY funny!!!!!! Yeah, yeah, Im a pervert.
#10 Old 09-07-2005, 08:55 PM

I can discuss this only cause maximus is asleep and i promised i would never mention it to anyone...hehe so dont' tell...but yes he was a humper once...and only men for some reason? hehe...I found that a squirt bottle with water loaded up got rid of that behavior really fast...lol
#11 Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Chevious View Post

Im sorry misq! I found that part that I bolded WILDLY funny!!!!!! Yeah, yeah, Im a pervert.

No, I burst out laughing when I read that too. Or maybe we're both just perverts!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

No, I burst out laughing when I read that too. Or maybe we're both just perverts!!

.....And then there were three.
#13 Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I was trying to find a way to word that without it sounding dirty, but I just gave up
#14 Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get into the firm No's so much as I get dramatic and act huffy. I'd stand up, look offended, roll my eyes, and walk away, and proceed to ignore the dog until he wondered off, every time he tried to show me his act.

Noelson's reply and all the links he gave were spot on. Make sure the dog's getting sufficient exercise too, btw.
#15 Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I guess I'm a perv too!!!

Quote:
I can discuss this only cause maximus is asleep and i promised i would never mention it to anyone...hehe so dont' tell...but yes he was a humper once...and only men for some reason? hehe...I found that a squirt bottle with water loaded up got rid of that behavior really fast...lol

Hee hee. . . tell Maximus that you only told for a good cause!

Quote:
I don't get into the firm No's so much as I get dramatic and act huffy. I'd stand up, look offended, roll my eyes, and walk away, and proceed to ignore the dog until he wondered off, every time he tried to show me his act.

Does that work with men too?
#16 Old 09-08-2005, 12:14 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

Quote:

Does that work with men too?

Yes, yes it does!
#17 Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post

Yes, yes it does!

So does BenGay! Im telling you! Or if you lack BenGay, use Vicks Salve!

On another note -- Nice to know I am not the only pervy one here!
#18 Old 09-08-2005, 12:31 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Chevious View Post

So does BenGay! Im telling you! Or if you lack BenGay, use Vicks Salve!

On another note -- Nice to know I am not the only pervy one here!

Mineral Ice is quite effective as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page