Doggie Teeth - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Beginner

I have to admit, I'm not very good at dental care for my dog. I give her some of those dental treets every now and then and thought that was good enough (bad me, bad me) anyways, she always had really good teeth so I never really worried about it until I was checkin' her out today and realized it looked like she has cavities... er somethin'. Are these cavities? I can't afford to take her to the vet right now, so I'll probably just start brushing her teeth daily or something. Just wanted to get some opinions :/
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Dogs rarely get cavities like humans do. Tartar and gum disease are the two biggest problems they get.

It looks like she's worn her enamel away. The yellow spots are dentine showing. Does she chew on rocks or hard surfaces a lot?

Her teeth actually look fairly clean. Can you get a shot of her molars? That's usually where the tartar builds up the most.
#3 Old 08-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

How old is she?

Keep on freepin' on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

looks like a rock chewer to me!

could you start investing in pet insurance now so when she needs a dental (or other medical care) it won't be such a big deal?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Hmm I've never seen her chew on rocks. She only eats dry food, could that be it? She's not really big on chew toys except her one "baby" squeaky toy. She's five years old. Pet insurance sounds like a good idea. How do I get that?

Should I be worried?? Cause I am. heh
#6 Old 08-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think they are cavities.

For the most part, you don't have to worry a lot about dog's teeth. Her teeth look really clean.

Dogs that are fed only kibble tend to have pretty decent teeth. What some people do (I am one of them) is to give their dogs bones ocassionally - real raw bones (just ask at a meat shop) - big ones, joints, that they cannot possibly break apart with their teeth (and since they're raw they shouldn't be a problem even if they did). Some people aren't comfortable with this because they feel it is a risk to the dog. If you do give her a bone, watch her while she is chewing it to be sure she isn't breaking it into pieces. I have yet to see a dog break one of these up - and my german shepherd gives it a good try.

What kind of dog is she?? (Just out of curiosity)
#7 Old 08-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Beginner

I couldn't get a good pic of her molars. She's actually a shepherd/chow/lab mix. Here's a better pic.
LL
#8 Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww she's sweet I was going to guess shepherd from the first pic !
#9 Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

I don't think they are cavities.

For the most part, you don't have to worry a lot about dog's teeth. Her teeth look really clean.

Dogs that are fed only kibble tend to have pretty decent teeth. What some people do (I am one of them) is to give their dogs bones ocassionally - real raw bones (just ask at a meat shop) - big ones, joints, that they cannot possibly break apart with their teeth (and since they're raw they shouldn't be a problem even if they did). Some people aren't comfortable with this because they feel it is a risk to the dog. If you do give her a bone, watch her while she is chewing it to be sure she isn't breaking it into pieces. I have yet to see a dog break one of these up - and my german shepherd gives it a good try.

What kind of dog is she?? (Just out of curiosity)

It's difficult to tell if your dog needs a teeth cleaning, the incisors can look great while the premolars and molars (all the teeth behind the canines) are rotting and falling out. The best way to tell is if there is hard brown tartar on the carnassial teeth (big pointy teeth near the back), they can stand a cleaning. If there is a darker pink to red line on gums, there is gingivities and discomfort (red=inflammation=pain) and the teeth need cleaning sooner rather than later.

You can help prevent the need for a prefessional teeth cleaning by brush your dog's teeth with a child tooth brush and doggy toothpaste (not irritating if swallowed). Regular dry food will not help, after a fer chomps it's the same as wet food. You can give special treats that will help, but be careful with real bones (they can cause the teeth to wear down, a problem that your dog already has). Raw bones can cause disease like salmonella, even if your dog doesn't get sick, other people or animals can get it from petting your dog. Even cooked bones could cause disease if you leave them out for too long. You could also get a very greasy floor if your dog chases the bone around (like our first springer did) and have a very nasty mess to clean up. With an appropriate sized bone (like a leg bone of cattle or pigs), there is little risk of the bone splintering. Smaller bones can be swallowed and rip the insides of the GI, which can be fatal.

Horse hooves are great for keeping teeth clean. I saw a 12 yr old shep-x with teeth that made us think he was only a year old. The dog belonged to a farrier and ate the hoof trimmings all the time.
#10 Old 08-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekywhiskers View Post

It's difficult to tell if your dog needs a teeth cleaning, the incisors can look great while the premolars and molars (all the teeth behind the canines) are rotting and falling out. The best way to tell is if there is hard brown tartar on the carnassial teeth (big pointy teeth near the back), they can stand a cleaning. If there is a darker pink to red line on gums, there is gingivities and discomfort (red=inflammation=pain) and the teeth need cleaning sooner rather than later.

You can help prevent the need for a prefessional teeth cleaning by brush your dog's teeth with a child tooth brush and doggy toothpaste (not irritating if swallowed). Regular dry food will not help, after a fer chomps it's the same as wet food. You can give special treats that will help, but be careful with real bones (they can cause the teeth to wear down, a problem that your dog already has). Raw bones can cause disease like salmonella, even if your dog doesn't get sick, other people or animals can get it from petting your dog. Even cooked bones could cause disease if you leave them out for too long. You could also get a very greasy floor if your dog chases the bone around (like our first springer did) and have a very nasty mess to clean up. With an appropriate sized bone (like a leg bone of cattle or pigs), there is little risk of the bone splintering. Smaller bones can be swallowed and rip the insides of the GI, which can be fatal.

Horse hooves are great for keeping teeth clean. I saw a 12 yr old shep-x with teeth that made us think he was only a year old. The dog belonged to a farrier and ate the hoof trimmings all the time.

To decrease the mess, etc with real bones: freeze them as soon as you get them. Let your dog have them outside. When they are done with them, you can throw them back in the freezer if they haven't been out for very long.

Smaller bones are definitely a risk. So are cooked bones (they tend to splinter). Any bone your dog can chomp through is a risk. There are some who say that raw bones won't hurt a dog if your dog swallows them, but I'm not so sure about that. That's why I would never let my dog break up a bone and swallow it.

My vet once showed me a sliver of (cooked) bone that came out of a dog - it had killed the dog. Then on the other hand, I've seen dogs who have gotten into the garbage and eaten a bunch of pork chop bones and made out just fine. Cooked bones are always a definite risk. The raw bones thing is up in the air - and even vets can't seem to agree on it. It's a judgement call we all have to make for our dogs.

If you think dogs who eat kibble have bad teeth, you should see dogs that get all wet food. Yuck!!
#11 Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your response. I don't think it's any of those, I'm more worried about the wearing down on her front teeth. She has a little bit of tartar so I will start brushing her teeth anyway. How often are you supposed to brush them? Is baby toothpaste alright? I already have that, so if I can use that that'd be easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page