Latting Go Of Berlin - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I woke up this morning to hear that I have one hour till our (mine and my fiance's) cat Berlin has to be put to sleep. I would be holding him right now but my uncontrolable sobbing is just upsetting him.

I've never been put into this position before. Any pets that I've had that passed away all passed away when I was too young to really become fully attached to them. I've also never had know know almost exactly how much longer that they were going to be alive. My parents either took them to the vet in secret or they slipped away into the night while I was asleep.

I didn't think I'd take this so hard...Berlin is old, he's partially blind, he can barely walk...I knew this was coming but right now I'm bawling and I can't stop. I don't cry infront of people but I can't even hold it in right now...I feel so silly because he's my fiance's cat and I've only known him for 3 years but I just want to hold him tight and say "No, I'm not ready, don't take him away from me yet!"

(the following was added later to give you guys more info on why this is happening)

In the past 3 weeks he's been having seizures every 3-5 days or so, he had couple strokes and last night he had the stroke that just clinched it. We all were holding out as long as possible until we knew Berlin just was having any fun anymore and he stopped being a happy cat lastnight. His back leg stopped working because of a blood clot, he couldn't stand the light anymore, and he soiled himself this morning. That's just not the quality of life any of us want for him and even though I'm not ready I can't make him live like that.

I have to go now . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh gawd, I am so sorry.
#3 Old 07-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

oh Kitten... I'm so sorry... I wish I could say something to make this easier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry Its such a hard choice to make, but at least you know that you did the best you could for him, and you gave him a great gift letting him end his life with dignity, and not suffer.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I am very sorry Kitten.Reading your post made me cry.It's so hard to let a pet go,even when you know it's for the best.
#6 Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I am very sorry Kitten.Reading your post made me cry.It's so hard to let a pet go,even when you know it's for the best.
#7 Old 07-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry Kitten.
#8 Old 07-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you and your fiance are going through this, VK and I'm sorry Berlin had to suffer so much. Just be glad he's not suffering any more. It's not an easy thing for either human or animal to deal with.

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 07-16-2005, 03:31 PM

I know he's a special person, and you will remember and cherish him always.
#10 Old 07-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

times a million dear. Its always so hard to lose a pet and I don't know of anything that can make it much easier. At least now he won't be having any more problems or pain
#11 Old 07-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Beginner

((((((Kitten))))))) I'm so sorry.
#12 Old 07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I started to feel alot better a few hours after Berlin passed. I think it was really important that I be there to see it because it made me feel alot better seeing that it wasn't a bad experience for him. Knowing that his last few moments were spent with me and my fiance Chad petting him gives me some peace.

Being there with him was still hard though. I wanted to hold him tight and justnever let him go. Also, I really had to grit very hard to keep from sobbing as he was passing (I didn't want his last memories to be of me crying). When the vet said "He's gone now." me and Chad just broke. It was really hard to see Chad sob because he just never crys at all, not even a few tears.

Of course I'm crying while writing this but for the most part I've been able to deal. The hardest thing is that sometimes I'll get up to go pet Berlin and then I realize he's not around anymore or coming home and seeing that he's not waiting by the door like he usually does. Sometimes my eyes play tricks on me and I could swear that I just saw him but then I realize it's just a book or a piece of clothing or something like that that has his colouring.

I feel bad for our other cat Shortie. Berlin is all Shortie ever knew. When Shorties was a little kitten he refused to clean himself and Berlin couldn't stand his stinkiness so he'd sit ontop of him and clean him. . . towards the end of Berlin's life he couldn't clean himself so Shortie started cleaning him. Returning the favour I suppose.

Saturday night we all went out for some fast food. When we got back I realized that was the first time ever in Shortie's life that he'd actually been alone. I felt so bad for him. Berlin was his best friend and Shortie is an emotional and needy cat so I can imagine it was hard for him when he realized that Berlin isn't just gone for one of his over-night vet trips. I think he kinda knew lastnight, he just seemed to have lost a bit of his lightness.
LL
#13 Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegKitten84 View Post

I feel bad for our other cat Shortie. Berlin is all Shortie ever knew. When Shorties was a little kitten he refused to clean himself and Berlin couldn't stand his stinkiness so he'd sit ontop of him and clean him. . . towards the end of Berlin's life he couldn't clean himself so Shortie started cleaning him. Returning the favour I suppose.

*cries* That's SO sweet!

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 07-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Berlin was a handsome kitty! I'm so sorry for your loss. It's good that you were able to be there with him...I completely fell apart when I had to put my cat down years ago but I felt better later knowing that I was able to comfort her in her last moments.
#15 Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry.
#16 Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry VegKitten. It sucks that we outlive our animal friends.
#17 Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Beginner

How beautiful that you and Chad had the opportunity to show Berlin your love right until he passed. We should all be so lucky to be surrounded by that much love in our last moments. He sounds like such a wonderful little person; how lucky you were to have him in your life. Take care, sweetie.
#18 Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm so sorry! Sounds like he was a lucky kitty to have such good owners though.
#19 Old 07-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

#20 Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so sorry.
#21 Old 07-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG, I'm so sorry. I'm sitting her crying!
#22 Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, VK. Very sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page