VeggieBoards banner

My cat has salivating issues.

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  berrykat 
#1 ·
So, my cat, Artemis, whom I love dearly, has a couple annoying and kind of gross habits.

First, when she gets really happy, she drools. She'll just be sitting and purring, with her eyes closed, and all of a sudden i'll see something drip from her mouth and then, magically, my shirt is wet. kinda nasty. anyone have any idea why she does this? is it normal?

She also does another thing when she gets really happy. I know cats knead a spot when they are getting comfortable, but my cat seems to find an area, usually in the folds of blankets or in the crook of my neck, and she'll start pawing. she purrs, paws, kneads, and then she'll start making a noise like she's licking something, and it looks like she's biting the blanket or whatever it is. she does it for ages, and if you let her keep doing it she'll leave a huge wet spot of saliva in her wake. what the hell is it? is THIS normal? its kind of annoying, and it can wake me up in the middle of the night, not to mention gross me out, so I dont sleep with her that often. but I want my kitty's company when I'm lonely...is it maybe some sort of nursing habit that she had, and she was taken away from her mother too early? I'm so confused. She's been doing this her whole life and she's like... 3 or 4 now. Any ideas?

thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
One of my cats drool, also. The vet told me it's because she's very, very happy. The only time I think it's kinda nasty, is when she does it while her head is on my pillow, and I roll into the wet spot. heh

When I was a young girl, my family had a cat that would suckle on my furry slippers. I would move my feet and she would follow me. We never asked a vet about it, but I think maybe she was taken from her mommy too young.

#4 ·
My cat, Luna, does the drool thing when she's happy.

It doesn't make me happy, but I guess I should be flattered that my pets bring her that much joy.

Also, I once had a cat that would do the nursing thing.

My vet said it was, indeed, a nursing thing, often happening in cats who were seperated from their mom before they are entirely ready for seperation.

#7 ·
Yep. Drooling is normal.

One of our cats drools so much when we pet him that when he shakes his head, it sprays everyone in a two foot radius. It's like owning a mastiff on a very, very small scale.

There's not much you can do about it. Just have a towel handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.