Mean cat. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone else think, just as there seems to be mean-natured people, there are also mean-natured cats?

My sister's little cat...ugh it's so unattractive and gangly...and it can't even make up for it's *un*cuteness (please don't flame...ugly cats exist!) by being nice.

NO!

It's mean. It "tolerates" her...being petted and whatnot, but on occasion it'll freak out on her too. I've tried to pet her before...letting her sniff me first, without any other cats in the room, but as soon as I go to pet the head she draws back and gets all pissy. She even looks mean.

I think she's just a mean cat.

N/C for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

If you think she is ugly and gangly and mean it probably shows in your body language. I wouldn't want to be petted by someone who thought of me like that either. Tolerating being petted and freaking out sometimes sounds like nerves to me. The poor thing just needs some understanding. Besides, like people, not all cat's enjoy physical affection.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM

I think there are mean-natured cats.

I have a cat that is a grouch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Populace View Post

I think there are mean-natured cats.

I have a cat that is a grouch.

I had a cat like that too. She could be a real sweetie, but when she got cranky (which could be in an instant) she got a tone, like "don't mess with me." As long as I respected that, we got along famously! I've been around enough dogs and cats to see that they have their own personalities and just like some people are grouchy, some cats are too.
#5 Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

If you think she is ugly and gangly and mean it probably shows in your body language. I wouldn't want to be petted by someone who thought of me like that either. Tolerating being petted and freaking out sometimes sounds like nerves to me. The poor thing just needs some understanding. Besides, like people, not all cat's enjoy physical affection.

I do agree with this. And I've never seen an ugly animal in my life. There is something pretty about all animals.

PV, how long has your sister had the cat? How old is the cat? You say your sister can pet the cat but then the cat just freaks out, just like that? If cats don't like being touched/petted, they'll give off a lot of "warning signs" with their body. Usually they only strike out (biting, scratching) if they feel like all their other signs haven't worked - the tail twitching, the ears, in their general behavior.

One of my cats, Callie, is quite a *****. She's gotten better as she's gotten older but it used to be that I could only pet her for a minute or and she'd freak out on me or anyone else (kids, adults, the other animals). I noticed with her that I didn't pay close enough attention to those tail twitches or her facial expressions and would keep right on petting (even if it had only been a few seconds) until she jsut couldn't take it anymore and would lash out. Cats are individuals, just like humans. They're not all the same. My four cats have such different personalities, you just have to learn about each one.

If I was around your sisters cat, I'd probably fall in love with her instantly. She's got a lot of personality, she's fiesty and she's not afraid to give you a what-for. I really bet she'll come around eventually. She just needs her humans to show some patience, forgiveness and a little tolerance.

Try giving her some treats or a cat toy some time. Don't try to force it on her, but let her know you want to be friends.
#6 Old 05-16-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

My sister's little cat...ugh it's so unattractive and gangly...and it can't even make up for it's *un*cuteness (please don't flame...ugly cats exist!) by being nice.

Are the unattractive under a special obligation to be "nice"? Give me a break!

I agree with Jenna Rose and Kiz. And besides, the cat is under no obligation to be lovey dovey.
#7 Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, some cats are just miserable grumps. Some have special people that they tolerate, but won't warm up to anyone else. Some just don't like anyone.

And of course there are ugly animals, just like there are ugly humans. Goodness, do we have to be so PC about everything that we can't admit the obvious?
#8 Old 05-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Every time...

The fact that she is a sour-puss [literally!] is...what's the word..."compounded" with her mean-looks. She doesn't even LOOK nice. Except for when she's sleeping.

And those warning signs...I've been through those when I was adopting my own cats...but she doesn't even give enough time with one's hand on her to look for them! And my sister gives her treats. I think she's mainly indifferent; to her they're just food--not a gesture of friendship, etc.

Maybe I'm a sour-puss because she's seriously the ONLY cat/animal I've had "problems" with. Even my aunt's dog, who was rescued from an abusive breeding-house and still has signs of fear, dettachment, etc. came to me the first time I visited the house. Whatever. I don't even care. I still have my Simon and he loves me

Cheers.
#9 Old 05-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I think there are mean cats, yes. I knew at least one. There are "ugly" ones too, I suppose, but I don't care about that. For me, it's all about personality.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My neighbor has 4 cats. Three of them are sweet and a little on the shy side and the other one is not even the slightist bit nice to anyone other than my neighbor. If you even look at him, he will hiss and swipe at your leg. My neighbor has to warn people before they come in her house not to call him over or try to pet him, because he will attack and draw blood. If you try and talk to him, he'll growl and make horrible sounds. I know not to mess with him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page