Pregnant Kitty?Need info - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

So about 4 weeks ago,(maybe 5) my cat suddenly started running outside.A couple weeks after that I noticed she looked like she was gaining weight and her stomach felt hard not squishy.Then she started throwing up.Just a couple times.I think she is pregnant.Are there other signs I can look for?I have never had a pregnant animal before.How long are they pregnant for?Do I need to take her to the vet?I'm really broke.Any advice,information,website recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Take her to the vet. If she is healthy but not pregnant, get her spayed.
#3 Old 05-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

How old is she? Well yeah she definetely needs to go to the vet to get spayed if she's going outside! I'd take her to get spayed now and if she's pregnant the spay surgery will terminate the pregnancy. Perhaps she's been running outside because she was in heat. Is she up-to-date on shots and vaccinnated against common illnesses in your area? Hopefully so if she's going outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Is she spayed? If not, and she's been outside, they YAH she's probably pregnant. It's a little late for the lecture (are there not enough PSA's out there to educate folks on spaying/neutering???) but there are MANY low-cost spay/neuter clinics and programs all over the country. An unspayed cat shouldn't be let outside... unless the owner WANTS (and can afford!!??) kittens 'cause that's what you're asking for by letting her out!

You need not take her to the vets if all is well (unless you want to abort the kittens and spay her now- which is more expensive w/ the "abortion"). Read up on welping kittens and start looking for homes for the babies and looking into that low cost spay clinic!!

#5 Old 05-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

For god's sake, take her to the vet. Why wasn't she spayed before going out?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

We got her from a family who had satelite installed by my BF.They had a bunch of cats,and had said she was spayed.So I wasn't worried about that when she got out.But,obviously I think we were misinformed or my BF misunderstood.I will certainly be getting her spayed now,but aborting the kittens is not an option.I have a couple homes lined up and will be keeping two myself.

Normally I could have taken her to the vet already,but we've hit a rough spot and I'm worried I won't get her there before she has them.What I need is some general facts and information on caring for a pregnant cat,the birthing of them,potential complications,etc.

We were also told she'd had all her shots and such,but now i don't know if I should trust that since we thought she was spayed.Maybe I came to the wrong place for these questions.
#7 Old 05-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Damn people who don't get their cats spayed. Double damn people who lie about it to get rid of them.

#8 Old 05-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Ok, most cats are very good with giving birth naturally, but you should still get her to the vet. You need to know for sure she's pregnant, and healthy. If you don't have the cash up front can you hock something? Borrow money from friends? It's very important not to try and save on your pet's health.

#9 Old 05-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Damn people who don't get their cats spayed. Double damn people who lie about it to get rid of them.

I was quite pissed to myself to think that might be the case.However I am very excited about the kittens.
#10 Old 05-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok I'm convinced,I suppose I can not pay the auto insurance.
#11 Old 05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Well, good luck with it. And I'm serious about the borrowing money for the vet. 99% likely it's kits, but what if it's a bowel growth? Eek!

#12 Old 05-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Ah... you posted before that. Sick or pregnant animals and no money sucks.

#13 Old 05-14-2005, 04:56 PM

Yeah, I would get her to the vet as soon as possible. Lots of vets work with their clients to form some sort of payment plan if you are unable to pay in full at one time.

If she is pregnant - she should go to the vet to make doubly sure that she is and get a checkup, blood work done, everything. Also they'll do x-rays, depending on far along she is just to see how the babies look and check how many there are.

And if it's not pregnancy - she still needs to go to the vet to checked out and see what's causing the bloating in her stomach. Plus, this will be a good time to go and ahead and get her spayed, get her shots, etc.

I've never dealt with a pregnant cat nor been around for the birthing. I've only always rescued abandoned day old kittens or 2-4 week old kittens. *sigh*

If she is, indeed, pregnant.....the vet there will probably have lots of papers and advice for how to deal with everything. They'll probably even have some books or websites to recommend to you.
#14 Old 05-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

about.com has an email course on caring for a pregnant cat.

http://cats.about.com/c/ec/95.htm

I never thought about people lying about pets being spayed before, but I believe that someone would do that. I am taking away from these various stories I've heard about pets becoming pregnant even though they were supposedly spayed that if I take a cat I will either have the vet feel for ovaries/uterus or keep her indoors for the length of a cycle (how long?) to see if she goes into heat.
#15 Old 05-14-2005, 05:27 PM

http://www.thedailycat.com/happytail...chive/estrous/

Quote:
Is My Cat Pregnant?

Whether you have purposefully bred your purebred cat, or are faced with a not-yet-spayed young pet who (you suspect) has had a tryst with the neighborhood tom, you may wonder just how to tell if she is pregnant. Cats are notoriously stoic animals who reveal little information about physical changes. In fact, many cat owners have no suspicion of their pet's pregnancy until the day a litter of kittens is discovered in the laundry hamper.

One of the earliest indications of pregnancy is the "pinking up" of nipples, which change from a pale pink to a deeper reddish shade, and appear more prominent. Pinking in most cats tends to appear two to three weeks into pregnancy. However, some cats will not show this change until later, even up to the time of delivery.

Changes invisible to an untrained (but concerned) cat lover may be detectable by a veterinarian, who can gently palpate (feel) fetuses by 17 to 25 days. An ultrasound examination can detect fetal heartbeats by the 26th day of pregnancy. Less expensive for those who need confirmation is a simple X-ray which, by day 45, will reveal the skeletons of growing kittens.

At some point toward the end of gestation, approximately 2 weeks before the birth of kittens, milk may be present in the mammary glands. Some cats, however, may not have evidence of milk until the kittens are actually born).

In many cases, the only sign of pregnancy may be a change in your pet's behavior. Pregnant females often tend to rub against their owners, knead their paws and purr more than usual--not unlike the behavior changes seen during estrus.

#16 Old 05-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Knowing kittens from the day they are born is an amazing thing.

*loves kittens*

#17 Old 05-14-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Knowing kittens from the day they are born is an amazing thing.

*loves kittens*

Yeah. Bailey, my 2yr old cat, I've known since the day he was born. But it wasn't because I witnessed his birth. It was because someone came up to where I used to work (a pet supply store) and handed us a box with four kittens in it. They were filthy and still had their umbilical cords attached. I wasn't at the front of the store when it happened, or else the guy would've gotten an ear full and be reported. They were only hours old and cold, cold, cold.

One of them ended up dying, due to being sick, but the others made it. I was the first thing he saw when he opened his eyes. He'd nuzzle in my neck and then try to suck on my earlobe or my lip. It really is an amazing thing, for sure.
#18 Old 05-14-2005, 09:21 PM

Ive had three female cats that all got pregnant around the same time. I basically just let them be. I made sure to give them lots of food and I made sure they had a good place to have the kittens.

One of them ended up giving birth in the middle of my moms bedroom, but I think it was a good thing she did. She was a very petite cat (she only had one kitten) and she was having some problems. So it was good that my mom and sister were able to help her out. I still have that one kitten, and she is now a very large grumpy cat.
#19 Old 05-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

thanx for the info guys.Very helpful.I'll keep you posted.
#20 Old 05-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Just in case anyone was wondering,I took Baby to the vet last Saturday.Turns out she is not pregnant,just fat and happy.And she was spayed.So even though I'm a little sad i don't get kittens,I'm sure it's better that way.I suspect the reason she was throwing up was caused by the off-brand of flea treatment i used on her.There was some irritation where i had put it.So I spent the money on Advantage,hopefully it won't bother her like the other one.
#21 Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Advantage is pretty good - used on my dog and any cats, and never had any problems. Or fleas hehe.

glad the munchkin is ok!
#22 Old 05-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

I had a similar thing with my cat as you do. My neighbors gave me to her because they were moving. They told me she was spayed, and they lied. I figured that out after her having 4 kitties.

You mentioned that you needed feeding info. Feeding the pregnant cat a good quality kitten food is fine. It has all of the extra nutrients a pregnant cat needs. You can also get a vitamin supplement if you want. Make sure you keep lots of fresh water out too. Also, make sure you keep plenty of food out. They sometimes triple their food intake when nursing.

When my cat had her kittens, she didn't make a sound. If I hadn't moved her off of my lap to go to the bathroom, she would have had them on my lap. She had them in my suitcase in the closet, with no complications. I didn't even know she had had two already when I found her. Cats usually don't need our help.

I would call the SPCA to ask about what complications could arise. It's a free call. I would get all of the info. out of them you could.

Good luck! Kitties are so much fun, and so cute!
#23 Old 05-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

You can't afford to take your cat to the vet but when it has the kittens you're going to keep two of them????!?!?!

People like you SHOULD NOT HAVE PETS.
#24 Old 05-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFaery View Post

Just in case anyone was wondering,I took Baby to the vet last Saturday.Turns out she is not pregnant,just fat and happy.And she was spayed.So even though I'm a little sad i don't get kittens,I'm sure it's better that way.I suspect the reason she was throwing up was caused by the off-brand of flea treatment i used on her.There was some irritation where i had put it.So I spent the money on Advantage,hopefully it won't bother her like the other one.

I've seen a cat with neural-toxicity from the OTC flea treatments. Enough valium and pheno to down a horse couldn't stop the seizures in this cat. It is VERY dangerous to use non-veterinary topicals on cats. It can result in severe toxicity and death. Definitely stick to the advantage.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#25 Old 05-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

That's really scary Rabid! It took me about 15 minutes of staring and reading this product at the store before i bought it.She was new to being outside and i didn't want to leave her with fleas ,but at the same time it was a very bad month with the finances.We had gone a month without groceries ourselves.So i got the cheap stuff thinking it must be better than nothing.I certainly won't do that again.She absolutely freaked when I applied it,and she wouldn't come out from under the couch and see me all night.I felt awful,lots of tears on my part.Only the best for my Baby now!
#26 Old 05-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFaery View Post

That's good to hear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page