Stinky Dog Feet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I am sitting here indian style on my bed checking out threads and my dogs are curled up on the bed snoozing next to me. Now, I have been known to have odiferous feet when wearing shoes and no socks like I was today, so I'm thinking p.u. I need to go scrub my piggies, until i turned my head and discovered that the stinky feet smell is coming from my dogs.

Their paws smell worse than my most disgusting pair of shoes.

Anyone else ever notice this, or am I the only one here that gets close enough to their dogs feet to be able to smell them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

It makes sense, they sweat through their feet... but stink? Not my doggies...

Seriously, how bad is it? I'm tempted to go smell Khan's feet now...
#3 Old 05-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, smells like pongy grass, but isn't offensive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

time to clean the yard
#5 Old 05-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking you're right kpickell. Dogs are bad for walking in feces, especially when they're running around having fun.
#6 Old 05-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish it was as simple as cleaning the yard. I have a concrete back yard that gets picked up every day, by yours truly. And, if there's anything out there when they go out the dogs avoid it like the plague. Even when I take them out for walks to feces littered parks, one of my dogs sort of hops over the stuff that's there. I think I have an obsessive compulsive animal....he's the one that won't go if I'm watching too.

I think they just have sweaty little feet! I think it's funny actually. Kinda like little baby feet. I think a bath is overdue too, but my "guy" has sensitive skin so I try to hold off as long as possible on bathing.
#7 Old 05-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Beginner

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the smell of my dog's feet. They sort of smell like corn chips! I have no idea why.

My suggestion, if you don't want to bathe them too often, is to just clean their paws (really get between their toes, btw, there's some funky stuff lurking in there!) every couple of days.
#8 Old 05-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

my dog gets the cheesiest feet i know, but hes a spaniel and apparently they r known for cheesy feet.
#9 Old 05-30-2003, 11:14 PM

My dog has smelly feet (I hope he's not reading this!) It's not a dirty-smelly, it's just a body odor-smelly. Weird.
#10 Old 12-27-2005, 11:21 AM

I too have some issues with my dog Boogers feet...I am thinking it is a sweating issue too because it has that type of oder rather than doo doo or somthing from outside. But still love him anywho....stinky feet and all.
#11 Old 12-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Could be a yeast infection. Yeast is some of the stankiest stuff I've ever smelled. Part the toes, and if there is a lot of gunky yellow stuff, then its most likely yeast.

Treatment would be a bath in a medicated shampoo and a course of oral antibiotics.
#12 Old 12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Ankle Biter

No stinky dog toes here....

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#13 Old 12-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever my dogs go outside, they get their feet promptly shampooed upon return. I don't want them tracking in any outside filth. *I* take off my shoes. *They* don't like to wear shoes. So, shampooing the feet is our compromise. They are so cute....they'll stand there holding up one foot after another in turn for me to wash them. My little one has sensitive skin as well, so I use a little conditioner on her feet after the last outing of the day. They used to still have stinky feet, especially in the summer when they would get hot. But, since they've gone vegan, a lot of icky smells have disappeared. Breath is usually tolerable or actually sweet. Feet have little to no smell. Then again, it's winter now, and they aren't going out as much...so that might change in the summer. *hope not*
#14 Old 12-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Please, get the "sweaty feet" idea out of you heads. Dogs, cats, humans, horses, etc have two types of sweat glands: merocrine that open directly onto the surface of the skin and apocrine that open into hair follicles. Domestic animals have apocrine glands all over their bodies and the merocrine ones only on the pads of their feet. Humans have the merocrine ones all over the body and the apocrine ones restricted to armpits, nipples and and pubic region. Profuse sweating can be done through either type. Dogs and cats do not cool themselves by sweating.

Smelly feet are more likely due to yeast over growth. Look at your dogs feet, is there a thick yellow crust? Is he licking them excesivly? Is the hair turning a reddish brown? Sometimes all you see is an accumulation of gunk on the nail bed. If your dog is having any of these, he may have a problem with yeast. Unfortunately, this is often secondary to allergies. Does he have any other skin issues? Waxy ears? Impacted anal glands? All possible indications of allergies. Dogs and cat show allergies in their skin (as opposed to respiratory in humans) and the outer ear and anal glands are just extensions of the skin. If any of these issues are going on, have your dog checked by a vet. Your dog really shouldn't have stinky feet unless he just stepped in something.

What type of dog do you have? Sometimes trimming the hair between the toes helps. Also keep the paws clean and dry.
#15 Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM

My dogs' feet smell like popcorn. I like it.
#16 Old 01-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

my dog's feet used to smell like corn chips/popcorn too
#17 Old 01-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

we just have a stinky dog

he rolled in muddy horse poo

yuck
#18 Old 01-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I wipe my puppy's feet with baby wipes when we come in from playing or walking.
#19 Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 AM

lol thats so funny my boston terrier has frito lay feet too

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_81 View Post

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the smell of my dog's feet. They sort of smell like corn chips! I have no idea why.

My suggestion, if you don't want to bathe them too often, is to just clean their paws (really get between their toes, btw, there's some funky stuff lurking in there!) every couple of days.

#20 Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaVeggie View Post

my dog's feet used to smell like corn chips/popcorn too

what is with the corn chip smell?? My girl rats smell like sweet corn chips!! and then in Mulan, Mushu claims that he likes "that corn chip smell" of the dirty men!! and now dog toes smell like corn chips!? hahaha
#21 Old 04-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

My doggie gets stinky feet too. Sometimes they are really awful. I just checked for crusty gunk in her paws, and they look clean. Her ears are clean too. She does get dry skin though. I always wondered if her stinky feet were due to that when she chews her bones she holds them w/her paws and maybe that's what's causing the smell. I'll have to let my vet know about it and see what she says.
#22 Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 PM

My German Shepherd has the worst foot-funk ever! The only thing that works are the doggy bath wipes made by Boots & Barkley (found at some Target Stores or online). They come in a handy pop-up box like regular baby wipes - very handy - I've tried other brands but they all suck! So, there it is: Use BOOTS & BARKLEY DOGGY BATH WIPES and you'll only have to worry about your own foot odor from now on. Not to worry though, I'll bet they'd work for you too.
#23 Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 PM

My German Shepherd has the worst foot-funk ever! The only thing that works is Boots & Barkley doggy bath wipes (found at some Target Stores or online). They come in a handy pop-up box like regular baby wipes - very, very convenient - I've tried other brands but they all suck! So, there it is: Use BOOTS & BARKLEY DOGGY BATH WIPES and you'll only have to worry about your own foot odor from now on. Not to worry though, I'll bet they'd work for you too.
#24 Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 AM

Also, look into that "yeast" stuff too - I know I will.
#25 Old 11-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Your dog has probably got 'atheletes foot' which is a fungal infection and can be treated by your vet. A friends dog had this problem and thats what she was told. BTw Her dog not only had that he snores and farts also!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page