Tips for raising a happy and healthy Betta - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Since there was no thread about raising Bettas, I figured I should start one. Please post your knowledge and experience with Bettas here. Thanks!

I recently received a Betta as a gift. I'm pretty excited. He's a very nice blood red. Haha, and my 2 year old Nephew oddly already named him Pivo, which means Beer in Czech. I guess my fish is a commie

In any case, I was hoping to get any tips on taking care of this fish properly. Anything anyone can share with me that will ensure that my buddy Pivo lives a long and happy life will be appreciated.

I also plan on buying a proper tank as i only have this crappy plastic tank that came from walmart.

What's a good size tank and how much can i expect to pay?

How much are filters?

How often do they have to be replaced?

What kinds of fish can i place in the tank with my Betta safely?

Any info would be appreciated as well as any info that i haven't asked about that i should know about would be appreciated too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I would look for one of the betta kits. They are really intesting. They come with a good tank, some nice rocks, and a plant. Stick water in the tank, the fish in teh water, and the plant on top. Then feed him. Its hard to kill a betta.
#3 Old 02-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

www.bettatalk.com is a really good resource for betta care every betta breeder/owner on a pet fourm I used to go to used her page like a bible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a kid I kept a betta for a year in a glass bowl that was prolly about 1/2 gallon without a heater, filter or bubble maker. In general the more water a fish has the better because its waste products will be more dilute. Some people say the water should be changed weekly but I am of the opinion that its not worth the stress to the fish, but I'm no expert. To clean the bowl and gravel I used salt and rinsed it really well. The salt kills bacteria and doesn't leave chemical residues. I'd put the bowl where the temp is relatively constant and where there is natural light (for biorythms) As I recall it like freeze dried bloom worms the best (if you're OK with that).

Have fun with your fish.
#5 Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

When I was a kid I kept a betta for a year in a glass bowl that was prolly about 1/2 gallon without a heater, filter or bubble maker. In general the more water a fish has the better because its waste products will be more dilute. Some people say the water should be changed weekly but I am of the opinion that its not worth the stress to the fish, but I'm no expert. To clean the bowl and gravel I used salt and rinsed it really well. The salt kills bacteria and doesn't leave chemical residues. I'd put the bowl where the temp is relatively constant and where there is natural light (for biorythms) As I recall it like freeze dried bloom worms the best (if you're OK with that).

Have fun with your fish.

I am no expert, but I can tell you what I do with mine. I recently just got my 10 gallon up and running again, and put my existing female betta, Adela, in it. I added in 3 other betta ladies (Magdalena, Martirio and Amelia), and they are all co-existing quite nicely...and looking lovely to boot.

My boys (Arthur Weasley and Linus) are each in a big, wide-mouthed container that is about a gallon.

The ladies are all pretty active swimmers, and quite fast. The boys, however, are lazy and like to leisurely paddle about and rest in their plants- so they are fine in their 1-gal homes.

I change the boys' water every week, but the 10-gal tank that the ladies are in stays pretty clean and doesn't need so much maintenance. (lol- sounding sort of like human bathrooms, in respect to men and women....)

I don't use salt, or anything to clean the bowls. Just really hot water, and an algae-removing scrub pad I got at Pet Smart. I net the boys, and herd them into a little glass- so there isn't much stress at all, other than having to be in the glass for a few minutes. When it's time to put them back into their nice, clean home...I just sink the glass in the container and let the fish swim out on its own. No fuss, no muss.

Bettas don't need a heated environment, but like hummusisyummus said, keeping the temperature fairly constant is a nice thing...since they are cold-blooded little guys.

As for food, I use either the Betta Bites pellets, or the Betta-Min flakes. The blood worms weren't too warmly received by the bettas, or me either one. .......they feel like little rubber bands. ::bleah::

Hope this helps, newstars. Also, the site that thebelovedtree recommended is really good. The lady that runs the site knows her betta stuff, for sure.
#6 Old 02-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the input and links

Well since my last post, i've become a fish nut. I picked up a 10 gallon glass aquarium kit. I'm so excited. I also picked up 3 neon tetras. I have a problem though. My brother, who was into this stuff years ago, said his tetras co-existed with this male betta no problem, among other fish too. I'm still a little worried that Pivo (my betta) might attack them. I'm probably going to put the tetras in a bag and drop them in the tank and see how Pivo reacts.

I'm not a fan of nets as i don't like to freak Pivo out too much when i clean out his current 1/2 gallon tank i dip in a tupperwear container and scoop him that way. He still doesn't like it, but i don't like when they flap around in the net. Plus i don't want to miss him and hit him with the rim of the net. I haven't added anyone to the big tank yet. I just got it last night and im letting the filter run for 24 hours as suggested by the manual.

So i was wondering if anyone had any input on whether or not it's a good idea to put the tetras and Pivo together.

The petsmart website suggests smaller peaceful fish with the betta.
#7 Old 02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried putting a male and a female betta together one time. They got along for a few weeks, and I guess at some point he got tired of her and killed her. They were in a 10 gallon, so it wasn't a space or food thing. I would think that the neons would be small and fast enough to avoid a male betta, since they aren't great swimmers. If you do decide to put them in together, just keep your eyes on them and have something nearby that you can put either they, or the betta in should you need to separate them.

Maybe someone on bettatalk would know for certain?
#8 Old 02-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Ya, i've been skimming through that site, it's pretty cool. I think the $20 consultation fee thing is kind of rediculous though.

In any case, i gave it a try. My betta did try to attack them off an on but was too slow as you predicted (good call). I watched them for a good few hours and decided they would be fine. The tetras are so cool. It's so cute how the three of them are always together, swimming in a pack. I'm going to have to name them as a gang, since i can't decifer between them. So i woke up this morning and fed everyone and Pivo, my betta, seemed to be cool and not bother the little guys. The tetras were even getting a little brave with him by swimming behind him, Pivo didn't seem to care anymore.

My next fish will definitely be a bottom/algae feeder of some sort. I hope Pivo will ok with that
#9 Old 02-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ For a bottom-feeder that is betta friendly, look into getting a corydora! I have read that they get along well with bettas.

Here's a pic of one http://www.newlink.cl/virtualfish/im...dora_Julli.jpg

They sort of look like little catfish, and you can get them in a variety of colors. I have read, however, that they like to be in pairs or threes, so you might think about that before getting one.

Glad your neons are happy and that Pivo likes them okay!
#10 Old 02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

^^^ For a bottom-feeder that is betta friendly, look into getting a corydora! I have read that they get along well with bettas.

Here's a pic of one http://www.newlink.cl/virtualfish/im...dora_Julli.jpg

They sort of look like little catfish, and you can get them in a variety of colors. I have read, however, that they like to be in pairs or threes, so you might think about that before getting one.

Glad your neons are happy and that Pivo likes them okay!

Thanks! I saw those at Walmart the other day and thought they were cool. I'm actually off to the pet store right now to pick up some new friends. I'm hooked.
#11 Old 02-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Be sure to check out all of the other fish at WalMart before you buy one. I was in WM last night and their poor fish all had Ich. You can tell a fish that has Ich because it has little white speckle-looking things on them. I've heard that they cycle the same water through all of their tanks, so if one fish is sick.....they all are

Just a heads-up, not wanting to rain on your parade!
#12 Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

In case anyone doesn't know what ich looks like:

http://www.koivet.com/images/gfich.gif

I am going to email WalMart tonight about it. It's been bugging me all day, since I posted about it.

EDIT:I did email them. Anyone who would like to can read my email at:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=32465
#13 Old 02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I appreciate the heads up. I picked up my tank and tetras from Walmart. I didn't really want to, but it was way cheaper and my mom was lending me the money to get it. Last night, I checked out PJ's Pet Store, it's 100% Canadian owned chain. So i like that. Plus, they have way better selection, and I was able to get better answers to my questions. The guy i talked to does his own breeding and supplies some of the fish for the store.

So anyway, he strongly recommended not keeping the Betta with any other fish. He had one in a tank with other fish and everything was fine for weeks until he woke up one morning and half of his fish were dead and he was working on some others. He also reccomended that i not put a cory with the Betta as they sting. He actually got stung 3 times by one that day and his whole left arm went numb, haha. I couldn't believe that. Such a small fish cabable of numbing is whole arm. So he was concerned that if there ever was a problem with the cory and the betta, that the betta would get messed up. So i picked up a Hypostomus, i think it's called (which he recommended). Which worked for me cause I think these ones look the coolest.

So anyways. There was some bad news when i got home. One of my tetras was stuck to the filter nozzle. My mom told me she caught him like that 3 times. So I lifted the tube from the filter so it would stop sucking and the tetra swam off, then he turned around and his eye was missing Must've got sucked out by the filter He was still alive, barely. Half swimming, half drifting. So i scooped him into a plastic container and he died within a minute or so.

It was odd though. The Betta didn't take advantage of him. He swam towards him and i thought he was gonna have his way with him and he gently poked him. Seemed more like a "yo, what's wrong with you?" rather than when he would dart at them when i first introduced him with the tetras. So it was amazing to see that much of a change in attitude towards the tetras from my Pivo.

So i had a funeral. Chanted some "Amens" in my bathroom, haha, and flushed him into fish cemetary. So the trio is now a tag team. I will have to get a few more.

The bad news doesn't stop though. I added the Hypostomus. I dropped him into the tank still in the bag to let him adjust to the temp. After about 5-10 minutes i let him in. He swam for a bit and then just hung around the bottom. I thought that was normal for a bottom feeder. But that's all he did. It took a while, but Pivo eventually swam down to him. It looked like he was sizing him up. He first was staring at his head. The Hypostomus just stayed there chilling. And Pivo moved along down to his tale and started to stare at it. Gave him a light poke, and i decided not to risk it and scooped him up and put him back in his plastic 1/2 gallon.

I went out for a bit, came back, and the Hypostomus was still chilling in the same spot, still breathing. Then like 10 minutes later, i check on him and he's upside down, stiff That was just a kick to the nuts for me. I was already upset about the tetra, then my brand new guy is mysteriously dead too

Kinda made me feel guilty, like "what the hell am i doing wrong here?".

I also figure that when Pivo went to poke him, he was again trying to figure out what was wrong.

So ya, bad night last night. Any idea as to the possibilities of what went wrong with my Hypostomus?
#14 Old 02-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, does sound like a bad night! Does your filter have a flow control on it? If so, you might make sure that it is set to the lowest setting, so that there isn't a lot of current and the intake of water into the filter isn't sucking the water in too hard.

That might help your tetras avoid getting sucked in.

I'd never heard that Corys can sting! A friend of mine has them, I'll have to ask her if she knows that, or has been stung. I've not heard of a Hypostomous. It is very odd that he died so soon after being put in the tank! I'd definitely go back to the pet store and talk to the person who sold him to you- is it possible that he was sick when you got him? You might try taking a water sample from your tank with you, as I know that a lot of pet stores can/will test your water quality for you and tell you what to do if it's not right.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. However, it sounds like Pivo is a docile, inquisitive betta. If you do go back to the pet store about your Hypostomous, I'd be curious to hear what they had to say.
#15 Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm definitely heading back to the pet store. The Hypostomus might actually be a Plecostomus. I'm not sure. I'm an idiot. Either way they're all bottom feeders and known as "catfish".

Mine looked like this. Not as much contrast in the colours though.

http://www.gpas.org/2001_show/all200...stomus_L66.jpg
#16 Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, that's a Pleco. I had one once before I learned not to mix any other fish with goldfish (the goldies put off a lot of ammonia).

I have a thought, but it's kind of a shot in the dark:

Maybe he died because your tank is new and there isn't much for him to live on? I don't necessarily mean food, but I know that over time bacteria builds up in a tank that is actually beneficial to the fish and their slime coat. I'm probably way off.

Anyhow, good luck at the pet store....
#17 Old 02-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

that's really weird about the plecostomus, because they are usually really resilient. i had a couple goldfish for several years, and i had in the same tank one plecostomus and 3 corys and they all lived for several years... all my goldfish died and the cory and pleco are still alive after 3 years!!

corys and plecos usually can live with goldfish, even with the high ammonia content, if you have a big enough tank and change it often enough/don't overfeed. mine never had a problem.

i had a friend when i was in iowa who was a fish expert... she bred her own bettas! she basically said that you can put female bettas in with almost any kind of fish. they are pretty tame. male bettas are another story- but as long as you don't put them with other bettas or any aggressive breeds of fish, you should be ok. my friend had a betta in with some other fish, and had this secluded plastic shelf thing that the betta could hide on. so if you give them a place to hide and chill, it improves their chances of getting along w/ other fish.

when male and female bettas mate, the male usually ends up getting the crap beat out of him and a few fins chopped off, and males can be aggressive toward females, so it's not a good idea to keep them together.

hope your fish luck gets better!

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#18 Old 02-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Totally OT: I love my 10 gallon with my betta girls in it. They are so cool.
#19 Old 02-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I have a thought, but it's kind of a shot in the dark:

Maybe he died because your tank is new and there isn't much for him to live on? I don't necessarily mean food, but I know that over time bacteria builds up in a tank that is actually beneficial to the fish and their slime coat. I'm probably way off.

I pondered this myself, but I don't see how he would die so fast. He only lasted approx. 5 hours in my tank. But i'm also new, so i dunno either.

But aynways, to update you. I took back my dead pleco today (RIP little buddy) and the person i talked to said it could've been stress or shock. I put the Pleco in the tank still in his bag to bring him to the temp of the tank. I did this for around 10 minutes. One of the websites i read up on suggested 5-10 minutes. The guy at PJ's Pet Store said to leave him for at least 30 minutes. So i may have screwed up there

So i got my new pleco and my brother got me a Red Cobra, which are very cool looking. Also two days ago my mom picked me up a dwarf frog and another neon tetra, who is getting along well with the other two. So i have quite the family going. I'm worried about my new pleco though. Cause he doesn't seem to active. I'm probably just paranoid, but i'm gonna be worried, hoping he'll make it through the night.

I also took the time to get another opinion on mixing male Bettas with other fish. This employee said that theoretically, they should be able to live with each other. So i feel bad for Pivo, cause it seemed like he was getting along with the other guys, but i just don't want to risk it. I'm gonna spoil him with some blood worms that i picked up today.

So i may consider getting a female Betta for the 10 gallon. Or is it possible to give your fish a sex change? haha.
#20 Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

By the way, here's some pics of Pivo and my other buddies.
#21 Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Cobra Commander? That rocks!!!!!! And he's quite a handsome guy- a guppy, right?

As for pleco's...they aren't active by nature. They usually are attached to the glass, or a rock or whatever. They will sometimes swim like crazy, then settle (from my experience with them). I would guess that Pleco #1 was sick or had something wrong with him, from what it sounds like. Hope that number 2 has better luck!

I've heard that the dwarf frogs are tough to keep alive, but I have no evidence or links to back that up.....heresay at best. They are cool-looking, for sure!

So, you've taken Pivo out of the tank? If so, a female betta would probably be very happy in there. The boy bettas are much fancier, but I think that the females have all the personality. My girls are great eaters, and always swim up and look at me when I look into their tank. I have been feeding them betta min flakes, and their color(s) have gotten very vivid. They are sweet.

Thanks for putting up the pics, Newstars! I always enjoy fishie pics. I have a few in my album, if you want to see some of my finned kids....

https://www.veggieboards.com/pics/sho...00&ppuser=4646

My furry ones are in there too.
#22 Old 02-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

haha, ya Cobra Commander is a guppy. They call these ones Red Cobras now. Most likely for marketability purposes. At least it's a good excuse to name him Cobra Commander The pic i added of him here is really cool, check it out.

So far so good with Pleco #2 , aka Pawet the Pleco. I had to give a polish name to one of them! haha It's so cute, my Dwarf Frog as taken a liking to him. He follows him around, climbs over him as the Pleco just hangs off the glass, doing his thing. He doesn't seem to mind. I love it.

Ya, Pivo has his own home. I plan on getting a few more fish for the tank and i think it will just be too busy for his liking.

Nice pics! I think i'll set up my own album too. Here are a few more for the time being.
#23 Old 02-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

KerBit is awesome!!!! Your tank is looking good!
#24 Old 02-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I mentioned this in your Walmart Live Fish thread, but i thought i'd leave an update here as well. The "replacement" Tetra my mom picked up from walmart died last night. No more Walmart fish for me.
#25 Old 02-18-2005, 05:08 PM

Never put a pleco of any type into a newly set up aquarium. Never put a pleco of any type in a 10 gallon tank. Even the plecos that stay small, like a bristlenose, needs a minimum of a 20 gallon tank.

The hypo....(I can't spell it without looking it up) that you had first is a common type of pleco. In the Amazon, it grows 3 FEET long. I personally think it's cruel to have a fish with that size potential in any kind of aquarium. (I had "inherited" one from my stepdaughter, and learned about it after I started taking care of her tank. I eventually moved to a 55 gallon tank just to house Tigerlily, but she eventually got so big that she couldn't turn around width wise in the tank. She died at about 10 years of age, and I suspect that if I'd moved up to a 100 gallon tank, she would have lived longer.

Also, do NOT add more fish to a 10 gallon tank. A 10 gallon is good for nothing more than maybe one or two bettas, a few small tetras, and a couple of cories. Even then, it's not a terrific environment, since cories are happiest in groups of a minimum of two, and better at 4, 6, or 8. (Cories aren't schooling fish, as such, but they are very social little people.) Tetras are schooling fish, and should be kept in groups of 7 or more. At that point, you've got too big of a fish load in a 10 gallon.

BTW, cories don't eat algae, and I don't know of any algae eater that stays small enough to be well of in a 10 gallon tank. If you add a couple of live plants, it'll keep the algae down, since the plants will use up nutrients that would otherwise encourage algae growth. Also, keep the tank away from sunlight to inhibit algae growth.

By the way, the 55 gallon, which is now Budda's, has 2 pairs of angelfish, a bristlenose pleco (which is full grown at approximately 3 inches) and two cories. (We need to get two more cories to maximize their happiness.) That's about the limit of a 55 gallon tank, if you want to keep a happy and healthy tank.
#26 Old 02-27-2005, 03:37 PM

Just had to comment on the stinging that corys supposedly do. I had my whole arm in the tank earlier to clean algae, and my corys were quite content to attach to my arm. I'm sure if they were stingers, Jose Cuervo and Motley would have stung me to death for disturbing them, instead of fondly latching on. Then again, all my fish love me!!!!!

oh and o/t Brandon, Arlo is the pimpest cat evah! so cute!
#27 Old 03-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomunky View Post

oh and o/t Brandon, Arlo is the pimpest cat evah! so cute!

Why, thank you from he and I both!
#28 Old 04-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Brandon - you said you were upset about the fish at WM - here is a link from PETA to stop WM from selling fish (etc)

http://www.peta.org/alert/Automation...em.asp?id=1253

pls read
#29 Old 04-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is more info on Bettas from PETA

http://www.helpinganimals.com/f-betta.html
#30 Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.peta.org/feat/aquab/

meant to put this one in the last post too - sorry, hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page