dogs and cats - can't we all just get along? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-22-2004, 04:51 AM

man, and i never come up with cheesy thread titles. until today, i guess.

ahem. so, my dog. he's a great dog! he found us two years ago. looks like a...husky, akita, shepherd typa guy, except nothing like that that mix makes you think of. heh. anyway, we live with my grandmother who has two elderly cats.

draggin' - my dog - seems to want to eat elliot and snow - my grandma's cats. i have tried getting them together in various situations, but draggin' invariably changes from his dignified, detached attitude to one of eery focus when the cats come in the room. he leans toward them, if you know what i mean. and salivates.

we've all been living together about 18 months. at first, we tried getting them together regularly, but nothing changed no matter what we tried, and gradually we gave up. what this means is that the cats, for the most part, stay in their 'wing' of the house - two adjacent rooms. they're very big, pleasant rooms... but they're still just two rooms.

it's important for elliot the cat to stay in there anyway because he's blind, now, and all sorts of trouble could befall him without our knowing if he tried to get around the house. but snow, the other cat, should really be able to run around, and can't. another thing is that because the cats have to be tucked away, my grandma, for all her good intentions (hey... she went vegetarian at 91!!!!!!) hardly spends any time with them.

we sometimes keep draggin' in our room so she can get out - but this is not a long term solution.

draggin' is now very worthy of trust and we communicate really well, and i'd like to start getting them together again. but how? neither of these cats can or would give him the swat across the nose he needs.

thoughts? ideas? i feel bad for the kitties :/ if i could trust draggin' around the cats, we could leave the door to their room open and put a baby gate in to keep elliot in, and safe - but we'd feel a lot more connected, you know?

thanks, sorry it's so long

so there's the big old story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know an answer, but I did smile when I read this post, I was there in the house with you for a moment.

I'm a great fan of a quick spray of water on the nose of animals who need cooling down. Those plant mister type things. But maybe he's not that kind of dog. Maybe he's just mega friendly and curious? Perhaps it'll wear off when the novelty is over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page