Something To Ponder - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Administrator

To people who say we own animals. Hello!?!? We clean up their poop. Kind of degrading when you think about it.

Please feel free to discuss.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Banned

i don't clean up any animal's poo, thank you very much.
#3 Old 05-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

One word: Diapers*

*nappies in English
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I'm trying to convince my sister's dog to clean up after herself. It would make some aspects of life so much nicer. I hope she realises that eating it doesn't count.
#5 Old 05-10-2003, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't understand what we're discussing?
#6 Old 05-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Banned

When will they genetically modify/engineer Dogs with Cat genes so Dogs bury their own ****? C'mon Science!
#7 Old 05-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's something to do with the animals owning us, because we're working to clean up after them. I'm not sure it's the strongest argument against using the phrase "own" an animal. Sure people own animals. People also used to "own" slaves. Now depending on your definitions of property, and that can become a very lengthy--and separate--side debate, ownership of a living entity is currently legal (so long as that entity isn't human or, for a California example, a ferret).

I know the PC description is pet guardian, but it's all simply in how you look at it. Sure, I'm my cat's guardian. If the vet asks me whether or not the cat is mine, I will say yes, as I have a claim on my cat, whether true ownership is assumed or not is not my problem. I will have a "claim" on my children some day, but I will not "own" them. I think many people confuse this issue even with children, thinking they "own" their kids until they're 18. Don't take that comment too far. I'm simply saying that some people have a mentality that doesn't respect other living creatures as independent, sentient entities. I dislike that type of thinking for both people and animals.
#8 Old 05-10-2003, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I own one cat. He can't leave my house, even though he might want to. But I like to keep my property clean, so I do clean his litterbox every once in a while (not as often as he wants me to).
#9 Old 05-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

I own one cat. He can't leave my house, even though he might want to. But I like to keep my property clean, so I do clean his litterbox every once in a while (not as often as he wants me to).

See? It always comes down to self-interest. We clean up after our pets to keep our own spaces clean.
#10 Old 05-11-2003, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spud

One word: Diapers*

*nappies in English

LOL
#11 Old 05-11-2003, 09:25 PM

This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld opens up in one of his monologues. He was saying that if aliens are watching us, they'll think that the dogs are our masters because we walk around with them, cleaning up their poop and carrying it around in little bags. Anyone see that episode?
#12 Old 05-20-2003, 06:57 PM

I had a roommate whose beagle / foxhound pup used to clean my foster cat's litter box. ::shudder::
#13 Old 05-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Now that sounds like a dog that needs an animal psychologist...
#14 Old 05-21-2003, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah all of my dogs would clean the cats litter box if they could! Thankfully the litter box is locked in the cat's bedroom and only accessable through a kitty door which none of the dogs can fit through.
#15 Old 05-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I clean out the litter box and such. I don't really think it is degrading. If we (humans) had have left the natural environment even close to the way it would have been without us, maybe we wouldn't need to have litter boxes for cats. There is so much concrete around here, Waffle digs in pot plants and has gone to the toilet in one a couple of times.

It might be discusting? Maybe it is the least of what we deserve?
#16 Old 05-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

#17 Old 05-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I clean up after my dogs because they aren't toilet trained...Oh what a dreamy thought.

I also do it so as not to get fined or annoy the neighbors. I can't count the times I've been loaded down with plastic bags and walking my dogs when someone has stopped to question if I had a bag. Then there are those times that someone driving by has stopped and said, thanks for cleaning up, while I'm scooping poop.

I live in city and the parks are the only real greenspace we have, so I think it's my responsibility as a "pet guardian" to leave the park free of dog poo, as well as any other patch of grass that I happen to walk where my pets decide to relieve themselves. There are already a couple of places in my neighborhood that have put up signs asking people to not walk their dogs there. I've actually been chased away from one area by a neighbor, after they'd watched me pick up.

Sorry I could go on about this one forever...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page