Litter box on carpet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Citrus333
  • 1 Post By phoenixrising

#1 Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

Litter box on carpet?

Due to timing, budget, and a lack of pet-friendly rentals available in my city, my boyfriend and I are renting a small one-bedroom with carpet everywhere. I’ve always been fortunate enough to have space in the bathroom/near the vanity area or kitchen to place litter boxes, but unfortunately with this rental the bathroom is literally a box and the kitchen is a small galley-style with no room to place it. So the living room it is. However, my kitties often track litter and one of them has a tendency to go in the very back of the box to urinate, which sometimes spills over onto the floor...

I want to do my best to protect the carpet. I’ve read a couple suggestions that might work (using a boot mat with a lip to catch litter/protect, putting down vinyl flooring and using a large rug on top, etc.) but I’d like to get more opinions and tips on the issue. Also, since the apt is so small, would it be an awful idea to only keep one box for both cats? It’s large and I scoop it daily. They already share one of the boxes in our current apartment but it’s a flimsy box that does not contain litter at all and I don’t know where I’d put another box honestly, unless I place them side by side. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

One box should be fine as long as you clean it regularly. And in an apartment, I think that is going to be a given.
There are a number of "high sided" litter boxes - some are under $20. That should be a good solution to the "spilling over" issue.
There are also a number of products that go by a number of names but are generally referred to as "litter catcher mats". These too are generally under $20.

My sister actually has found that its best to use two mats. one right where the cat steps out of the litter box and another one in the direct path of the cat after it leaves. They actually work and make the area where the litter box lives to be cleaner and tidier. I think not having litter in the living room would be appreciated by all.

I think your best bet is to go over to one of those big box pet stores and ask for some expert advice. Or check Amazon and read the reviews.

My sister also just got a litter genie. its a "litter disposal system" and we both think its great. Makes cleaning up almost painless.
#3 Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 PM

The two mats suggestion is a good one. Bathroom or kitchen mats/rugs are good if they have "rubber" backing which is fairly waterproof and won't slide around. A larger one for under the box and a smaller one for the "walkway" area would work well. Toss 'em in the washer when needed. There are inexpensive sets on Amazon.
Mr. H. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Forgot to update -- I ended up ordering a Smiling Paws litter mat off of Amazon in their "jumbo" size. I set the box on top of it and it's been doing a great job catching everything from all sides! It's also urine-proof and fairly easy to shake out. Thank you both for your suggestions!
Mr. H. likes this.
#5 Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising View Post
Forgot to update -- I ended up ordering a Smiling Paws litter mat off of Amazon in their "jumbo" size. I set the box on top of it and it's been doing a great job catching everything from all sides! It's also urine-proof and fairly easy to shake out. Thank you both for your suggestions!
Is this the one you got? I'd like to get something similar but don't want the leather edge.

Smiling Paws

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page