Feeling guilty about preferring purebred dogs/cats... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By Tom

#1 Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 AM

Feeling guilty about preferring purebred dogs/cats...

I genuinely love all animals (mammals anyway).

While I believe in choosing rescue dogs (and cats), the companion animals that I'm most drawn to are the result of deliberate breeding and often deliberate training.

Eg, a well-proportioned, well-trained, yellow Labrador is simply heart-melting to me. Beautiful in appearance and without a mean bone in their bodies.

Similarly those stoic, intelligent police GSDs, which always come from select lines, are so majestic.

Same point applicable to, among cats, Siamese and Maine Coons. (Though I personally wouldn't likely own a cat.)

I know it's a bit of a false dichotomy as you CAN find well-bred rescues.

Still the scrappy, often healthier, mixed breed does have a charm all of its own.

I'd guess most of us advocate rescues, but anyone else very fond of purebreds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2017, 04:56 AM
Vegan since 1991

My friend, I think you are trying to create a ****storm here.

Don't go there. Not in this forum, please.

Take this topic elsewhere.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-09-2017 at 05:08 AM.
#3 Old 10-09-2017, 05:11 AM

They didn't say anything about buying or advocating for buying purebreds, they just said they like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Once I begin to feel guilty about something, I realize there's a damn good reason, and I work hard to figure it out.

Sort of like with my hard-learned consumption choices. I'd always been taught one thing by many highly respected and highly "educated" folks, but had a very vivid awakening of how things truly go down behind the curtains as well as within my own body and could never turn back. Once I learned I couldn't stomach the process(es), I learned how to healthily no longer make it necessary stomach the product(s).

If I can still comfortably sleep at night and live with whatever it is I've learned, having that guilty feeling no longer linger, I'm good. If it continues to bug me, then I know change must take place. I don't own pets as I have this thing about living beings owning one another and teaching them to be just what they want them to be, be it a domesticated animal, farm animal, etc.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#5 Old 10-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Impeach the gangster

I think all prejudice springs from a perceived need to compensate for one's own shortcomings, real or imaginary. Aspiring to an elite group, preferably with notarized certification, can bestow a false sense of self-value on an individual. Yes, you should feel guilty, @APhilosophicalGent , and learn to embrace the mongrel within yourself. Cheers!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM

To me, it's not about looks. Just like how it is and should be with people, it's what's within that counts. I think it's quite shallow to like or dislike a breed solely based on looks. Get out there, visit some rescue groups, and see if you connect with a dog! In my experience, rescue dogs can be so very grateful when you save them.
#7 Old 10-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitratedtofu View Post
They didn't say anything about buying or advocating for buying purebreds, they just said they like them.
I'm glad you pointed this out as I was about to go Nazi on the OP!

I'm absolutely and positively opposed to breeding, but I still have a fondness for Dobermans and Schnauzers! and Rottweilers

But then again, I'm every bit as fond of most every other dog and cat...

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Last edited by silva; 10-09-2017 at 09:04 AM.
#8 Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I think adopting any animal in need of a home is a great thing! But if I wanted to adopt a purebred animal I'd go to a breed rescue outfit.

Over the course of 19 years, I adopted 5 cats, 5 gerbils, 3 rabbits, and 1 hamster. I suppose the gerbils and hamster were purebred, and from the appearance of 2 of my rabbits, I could discern at least some evidence of their breed: Hans was at least partly mini-Rex, going by his size and ultra-fine, soft plush fur, while Franz had clear Dutch markings. Another time at the shelter, I saw a Palomino rabbit- a beautiful animal!- but at the time I was not in a position to adopt a rabbit (I think it was when I already had the two rabbits I mentioned above).

Anyway, for me it's all about personality. My cat Harriet and my rabbit Sony nose-butted me when I first opened their cage to meet them. But another time, I was looking specifically for a cat about the same age as the two I had (Harriet and Riley), but who wasn't that outgoing and might have been overlooked by potential adopters for that reason. She wasn't hostile- just very quiet and passive- so I took her home and quarantined her in my bedroom. Initially she hid under the bed, so I left her alone with food, water, and litterbox- but later that night she crept out, came up on the bed, and laid down with her back next to mine. It later turned out that she had an intestinal impaction which needed to be irrigated (enema) over the weekend. That was probably why she had been so quiet.

All my adoptions worked out fantastically for them and me.
Capstan and Mr. H. like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'm glad you pointed this out as I was about to go Nazi on the OP!

I'm absolutely and positively opposed to breeding, but I still have a fondness for Dobermans and Schnauzers! and Rottweilers

But then again, I'm every bit as fond of most every other dog and cat...
Not sure why you'd "go Nazi" on me. Your position seems similar to mine.
#10 Old 10-10-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicedoglover View Post
To me, it's not about looks. Just like how it is and should be with people, it's what's within that counts. I think it's quite shallow to like or dislike a breed solely based on looks. Get out there, visit some rescue groups, and see if you connect with a dog! In my experience, rescue dogs can be so very grateful when you save them.
I am not against rescue dogs. If I get one it's cos it's more moral thing to do - and naturally I would come to love the animal. One day hopefully there'll be no rescue dogs because more intelligent humans will never give up a pet after taking it on, and never allow dogs not meant to be bred to go un-neutered.

Also, it's also not only about looks for their own sake. Breeds have known temperaments. It's why I have virtually no fear of a Lab wandering alone on the street, but would be hesitant to pat a pit bull terrier even with its owner present.

Last edited by APhilosophicalGent; 10-10-2017 at 02:56 AM.
#11 Old 10-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhilosophicalGent View Post
Not sure why you'd "go Nazi" on me. Your position seems similar to mine.
At first I read your post as suprematist. I was feeling silly when I wrote 'go nazi' though. Sorry!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page