Domesticating a Feral Cat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 PM
Newbie
 
zombiesprinkles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Domesticating a Feral Cat

I have been feeding a feral cat for several years now. I have had her spade and am planning to move. I live in an apartment complex and can't leave her. There's no way she'd let me pick her up. I'll have to trap her. Should I bring her into my apartment now and let her get used to living indoors before I move? After I relocate, for how much time should I keep her indoors before I can let her go back out? I can't turn her into a house pet. I'll just continue to feed her but outside.

Has anyone else done this before?
zombiesprinkles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
zombiesprinkles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMyPetz View Post
If she's feral it's not likely that she would be happy living cooped up in a home, in my experience cats prefer living outdoors. I would leave her honestly. If you did take her and have to release her she's more apt to get hurt because she would not be used to the new area.
She meows really loudly outside my door when she wants food and she rattles the screen in my sliding screen door. If whoever moves into the apartment after I move out, doesn't like it and complains management will have her trapped and she'll be put down.
zombiesprinkles is offline  
#3 Old 08-30-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,951
Relocating a feral cat is really a bad idea. I strongly encourage you to speak with your neighbors, or local rescue, to try and find other support for this cat, or a possible home.
Does this cat allow any interaction with you? Are they really the only cat you feed?

I have worked with cat rescues and have taken in a mother and her older kittens- all very feral- and they have worked out being domesticated. the mother had obviously had a home. All were at risk of being trapped and put down. It is far easier when only one cat!

https://www.alleycat.org/community-c...e-last-resort/

There are very few places that are safe for cats to be outdoors, diseases are vicious, there are many predators, and animal abusers. Cats are not wild animals at all, they are invasive species. It is best for them to be altered and indoors, or at least monitored outdoors in daytime only.
I completely understand how little can be done for existing feral colonies, only responding to the post that cats prefer living outdoors

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Newbie
 
zombiesprinkles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Relocating a feral cat is really a bad idea. I strongly encourage you to speak with your neighbors, or local rescue, to try and find other support for this cat, or a possible home.
Does this cat allow any interaction with you? Are they really the only cat you feed?
She'll let me pet her but I can't pick her up and she won't come into my apartment. There's another cat who eats the food I put out but he belongs to someone. I volunteer for our local rescue and I can't think of anything they can do for her that I can't do. I'm certainly not going to surrender her to them. She'd end up on death row.
zombiesprinkles is offline  
#5 Old 08-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,951
oh, not much of a rescue!
If you try and displace her she could be in a whole world of trouble. I don't know how far you're moving, but very likely she'll try and go back, esp a female.

If she lets you pet her it's likely she could adapt very well if you try and keep her inside. It would take some doing, and time, but quite likely you'll both be fine.

You don't know any other neighbors that would care for her? Or a kind of neighborhood "facebook" type of message board you could trust?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#6 Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Newbie
 
zombiesprinkles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
oh, not much of a rescue!
If you try and displace her she could be in a whole world of trouble. I don't know how far you're moving, but very likely she'll try and go back, esp a female.

If she lets you pet her it's likely she could adapt very well if you try and keep her inside. It would take some doing, and time, but quite likely you'll both be fine.

You don't know any other neighbors that would care for her? Or a kind of neighborhood "facebook" type of message board you could trust?
I'm just moving around the block and she's used to living in an apartment complex so she knows how to watch for cars. I have a neighbor who feeds ferals. I could ask him if he's familiar with her. The thing is tho that she's used to meowing loudly by my back door and it's not like she'll just stop doing that when I move out and someone else moves in and one of the maintenance guys has already pestered me about how I'm not supposed to be feeding cats. I could try and keep her inside but I'm assuming she's not going to like it and I'm not going to drive myself crazy trying to keep her imprisoned for the rest of her life.
zombiesprinkles is offline  
#7 Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,951
Well if you're thinking of keeping her in long enough for her to get used to new surrounding you may as well try and do your best. You might be quite surprised! I've turned around some wild cats without completely meaning to by fostering them-although there were other cats in the house and I had a room for the fosters. many have stayed and are very very different than the wild things they came in as!

I would be afraid of her continuing to scratch at the door! I hope your neighbor can acquaint herself with her

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#8 Old 12-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Newbie
 
Soulwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesprinkles View Post
I have been feeding a feral cat for several years now. I have had her spade and am planning to move. I live in an apartment complex and can't leave her. There's no way she'd let me pick her up. I'll have to trap her. Should I bring her into my apartment now and let her get used to living indoors before I move? After I relocate, for how much time should I keep her indoors before I can let her go back out? I can't turn her into a house pet. I'll just continue to feed her but outside.

Has anyone else done this before?
Feral cats will usually die if you take them out of their environment. If you want to try and domesticate her then thats fine, but you cant put her into a new environment. And I know this because my wife is big on helping feral cats and the vet she goes to said that they have to be released in the same environment or they will most likely die. Because they are used to their surrounds and they will not know what to do in new surroundings and could get run over etc.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Soulwatcher is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off