Vegans can not have cats - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

#31 Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesprinkles View Post
Oh, I was looking at the cheap packages I buy the feral cat who is just using me for my food. I have Friskies and Meow Mix. Both of them list yellow corn as the main ingredient followed by soybean meal and corn gluten meal. I just buy what they have at the gas station across the street.

This is good information. Thank you.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM

So by your logic I'm curious about what you think is a better option: eating vegan yourself and feeding your cat meat, OR neither you nor the cat eating vegan?
#33 Old 07-21-2017, 08:24 PM

This obsession with the "vegan" label is really hurting the vegan cause. We need to constantly remind ourselves that veganism is not about vegans; it's about the animals. Instead of telling others that they shouldn't call themselves vegan, we should be thinking of ways to help animals even more. Shaming another vegan does not save any animals; it just discourages that person, who may decide that it's pointless to work so hard to reduce animal cruelty if she can't even call herself "vegan". Just getting one person to cut their meat intake in half would save many more animals than a vegan getting rid of his cat. Why is it that someone who is 99.9% vegan but turns everyone around her off of veganism is a better vegan than someone who is 99.0% vegan (because he has a cat or wears second-hand leather shoes) but has convinced several of his friends and family members to go vegan?

I've been vegan now for 4.5 years. Until very recently, I went out of my way to avoid calling myself "vegan" because, as much as I cared about animals and lived my life so as to minimize their suffering, another vegan could pick at tiny details of my life and shame me for not being "a real vegan". In other words, even though I was 99.95% vegan, there was still 0.05% that a purist vegan could attack. When non-vegans asked me if I was vegan, I would explain that I wasn't really vegan and go into the details of why other vegans might not consider me a vegan. I realize now that this probably discouraged those non-vegans from trying veganism. The more purist we are and the harder we make it to be vegan, the less successful we will be in converting others to the cause. And the less successful we are at converting others, the more animals will suffer. Let's face it: we live in a world that makes it not just extremely difficult but downright impossible to be a pure vegan. The way to change that is by getting more people to be vegan, not by shaming other vegans. (And before you claim that you are a perfect vegan, note that the vegetables you eat were probably pollinated by rented bees and fertilized with animal feces from a factory farm.)

I suggest that we use the word "vegan" simply to refer to someone who is doing his/her best to reduce animal suffering. Period. It is not up to any one of us to decide whether someone else is doing their best. (Remember the proverb about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.) Let's just focus on doing our own best. If every person who shamed another vegan would instead spend that energy on something else -- a modern issue that the original vegans could not have foreseen, like avoiding plastics, taking the train instead of flying, planting native plants to help wildlife, or maintaining a birdbath -- there would be much less animal suffering.

Last edited by poivron; 07-21-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that is absurd, I am vegan and have a cat and a dog. I love my cat very much and feed her cat food because I want her to be happy and healthy.
#35 Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necter View Post

If you feed your cat non-vegan food, you should not call yourself a vegan.
I am going to reply to the original post. I appreciate it's pretty old and the poster is probably no longer around.

I think the basic issue here is that one person is vegan based on what they do, not what others that live with them (whether humans or other animals do).

If feeding your cat non-vegan food were to make you not vegan, surely feeding your boyfriend/girlfriend non-vegan food would make you not vegan. And I think hardly anyone would agree with that.

I think a problem with this thread is that is focuses too much on the "don't call yourself vegan" attitude. It would have been better to raise the question of the morality of pet food without making it a "you are not vegan" type argument.
Tom likes this.
#36 Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Question Who says cats arent vegan??

Are cats really so desperate for meat?? I dont think a vegan diet is wrong (especially considering the disgusting crap they use in cat food.) Firstly cats are a domestic animal so eat what they are fed they rarely hunt,maybe a mouse or bird here and there but hardly ever to eat...and i know cats dont go fishing as they hate water, unless somewhere a cat is fishing for salmon and not told me
#37 Old 01-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Feeding cats vegan diets is cruel. It's not in their nature.

For me, being vegan has always been about intent - my will and choice to not participate in the cruel treatment of animals and the industries that abuse them. I choose to have two cat companions, and thus I need to care for them properly. There are some foods for cats made more sustainably or from companies that are 'less cruel' than others, but if you care for an animal that requires meat in it's diet, then you just have to suck it up and make the most ethical choices you can. You will never avoid the fact that another animal will have to die for your animals to survive and be healthy. If you don't want to do that, care for a naturally vegetarian animal like a rabbit instead.
#38 Old 01-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necter View Post
Unless they feed the cat a completely vegan diet, which may be expensive.

If you feed your cat non-vegan food, you should not call yourself a vegan. If you buy non-vegan food for your cat, you should not call yourself a vegan.

I don't understand how any vegan can in good conscience feed any pet non-vegan food.

There are some who excuse feeding meat to cats, calling themselves vegan at the same time. This is not possible.

If you are vegan, please make sure your cat is too.
Cats can't be vegan, or they will die. There is still the balance of nature to consider :/
#39 Old 01-10-2018, 12:34 AM

AmiCat is very cost effective and high quality - it has everything a cat needs and they love it.
#40 Old 03-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Vegans should at first support animal liberation , not prisoning them even if they are lovely and may seem happy at the first sight . Vetter not to have cats or any pet and no dilemma about pet diet .
#41 Old 03-02-2018, 01:26 PM

Discouraging people from letting animals into their lives gets rid of one of the primary sources of empathy toward animals, and will damage the cause of animal liberation.

Not to mention, what do you suggest we do with the millions of domesticated animals that are dependent upon humans? They've willingly decided to live with us and if we abandon them their lives will be short and miserable.
silva and David3 like this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#42 Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlady View Post
Vegans should at first support animal liberation , not prisoning them even if they are lovely and may seem happy at the first sight . Vetter not to have cats or any pet and no dilemma about pet diet .

Hi Vlady,

Yes, it would be ideal if all animals lived in their natural habitat. However, dogs have been radically changed, biologically and behaviorally, by thousands of years of domestication. Many breeds of dogs are completely unable to live in a natural habitat. It's better that people adopt these dogs from shelters, and care for them. You wouldn't force this dog to live in a forest like a wolf, would you?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#43 Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone involved in dog or cat rescues could not have that opinion.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#44 Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 PM

The idea that vegans must feed obligate carnivores a vegan diet is preposterous. Vegans don't have the right to inflict their values on others. Veganism is about creating the least harm, not about martyrdom. Cats are obligate carnivores. Can they survive on a vegan diet with sufficient nutrients?...of course they can. But the fundamental thing about caring for the beings we humans created (companion dogs and cats) is first, keeping them safe, and then helping them to live full and happy lives. Because they can survive doesn't mean they're happy or that their food is psychologically and emotionally fulfilling.

That said, I believe that some (few, but some) cats can and do thrive on a vegan diet. They are few and far between, but it does happen. We should be concerned with giving them food that they enjoy physically, emotionally and mentally. If your cat truly thrives and is happy with a vegan diet, go for it. But be sensible and sensitive enough to know if your cat is just eating because s/he is very hungry because her/his food never really satisfies, or if s/he is eating because the meal is enjoyable and s/he has a normal appetite.

These arguments are tiresome and do not reflect genuine respect for other beings. If we truly respect our cats, then we give them food their bodies were designed to eat. The best diet for companion cats and dogs is a BARF diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food). Second best is homemade food. Third best is human-grade pet food, which is superior in every way to grocery store pet food. Even a quick search online will turn up many brands of human-grade cat food.

I feed my companion animals a BARF diet and would no more consider forcing them away from their natural diets than I would have considered forcing my 88-year-old father-in-law to change his diet because his food choices didn't reflect my values. At some point we get mean, and that's never a good thing. At some point these arguments become exercises in mental masturbation. A little common sense goes a long way.
#45 Old 03-09-2018, 03:03 AM
Beginner

The problem with cat food is that it contains trash from slaughterhouses . Another problem is cat on a vegan diet which is not natural . Cat needs a fresh meat butprobably most vegans will not kill an animal and serve it to a cat , people can not hunt without instruments therefore it is not natural as well . The only rational solution is to let cat hunt , but than it will be not a pet anymore , but cats obviously can hunt . So yes , cat should not be a pet
#46 Old 03-09-2018, 03:04 AM
Beginner

Especially like they are presented in so- called ,, cat caf?s " .
#47 Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The problem with cat food is that it contains trash from slaughterhouses
That's not exactly true. It's true of grocery store pet foods, but not true of human-grade pet foods. It takes very little effort to find and purchase human-grade foods. I remember when there were just two companies who made dog and cat food from human grade ingredients. Now there are many.

We created these cats and dogs and we are responsible for them.
silva likes this.
#48 Old 03-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Necter, you sound just like the rather demented bully on what used to be vegan-l. I forget what it's called now. You must be a very small person inside. Or maybe your shoes are too tight. Have at it, dude. You don't and won't bother me. You just make yourself look juvenile and in need of long-term professional mental health treatment.
silva likes this.
#49 Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 AM

Necter,

you might be happier if you spent some quality time with a puppy. Maybe you could donate some time and vegan dog food to your local no-kill shelter.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Last edited by AspiringBuddha; 03-11-2018 at 01:54 AM.
#50 Old 03-11-2018, 03:50 AM

Damn science! Make a properly satisfactory vegan cat food that all cats will eat and thrive on already! I'm sure it could be done if there was enough will. Short of that I'm kind of in Necter's camp insofar as I think choosing to get a pedigree kitten from a breeder would be a strange choice for a heartfelt vegan. I know it's a grey area when theyre rescue cats etc. Also some have cats from prior to their vegan days.
Tom likes this.
#51 Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a reminder folks that if you think that someone's posts are rude and unacceptable, you can always block that member so that you don't have to see their posts. I'v occasionally done it before and I'm now doing it again. Life's too short etc.

leedsveg.
#52 Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ruthwfortunato
I like to eat like a vegan but I don't ask my cat to be like me.
Whatever it is, being called Vegan or not is not the matter.
leedsveg and Citrus333 like this.
#53 Old 03-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The problem with cat food is that it contains trash from slaughterhouses . Another problem is cat on a vegan diet which is not natural . Cat needs a fresh meat butprobably most vegans will not kill an animal and serve it to a cat....
I dunno about that. Don't people often argue that predators tend to kill prey animals who are sick or injured, and that predators perform some sort of function that way? And it's not at all unusual for a predator to consume an already-dead animal who might have been dead for a bit of time (carrion)... Also, if by "trash", you mean parts of the animal considered unfit for human consumption anyway (bone marrow, guts, etc), wild predators often eat these parts from the animals they hunt anyhow (hope I didn't gross anybody out...)

That said... I want to see this problem solved by the invention of nutritious, satisfying vegan food for our carnivorous pets.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#54 Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 PM

I haven't looked at any of the comments yet but I'm sure the replies are saturated with comments like this (or I'm at least hoping they are) but cats CANNOT be fed vegan diets. They literally cannot survive without meat. I've heard of a few off cases where cats have survived and lived long lives but you hear a lot of cases about them dying and veterinarians strongly advising against it. You are vegan if you do not consume animal products, but any non-militant vegan will tell you that you do what you can and sometimes you can't help having a cat and buying them products with meat. EXAMPLE... my cat (who passed away a year ago) came to me as a stray while at work of all places. No one could take care of him, he was declawed and had one tooth, and I absolutely do not like dumping animals at shelters. If I can't find a person for them, I hold onto them until I can. It's not as if I've encountered enough strays to do that very often but that's my philosophy. I also wasn't about to force my beliefs onto my cat as much as I wish I could. If a vegan goes out of their way to do anything that they believe may involve purchasing or consuming meat, then I would have to agree they're not 100% vegan or just not 100% committed to their cause yet. People like you set these harsh rules and scare people away from veganism. I'm a wavering vegetarian/vegan myself and comments like this make me lose motivation, as if I'm not doing enough. I've had one cat for 12 years (before becoming vegetarian) and had my other cat for 7 before I lost him and will continue to feed her meat products because she needs them to survive and live a healthy life. I'm not going to rob her of that because militant vegans like you try to shame me.
#55 Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nms563 View Post
I haven't looked at any of the comments yet but I'm sure the replies are saturated with comments like this (or I'm at least hoping they are) but cats CANNOT be fed vegan diets. They literally cannot survive without meat. I've heard of a few off cases where cats have survived and lived long lives but you hear a lot of cases about them dying and veterinarians strongly advising against it. You are vegan if you do not consume animal products, but any non-militant vegan will tell you that you do what you can and sometimes you can't help having a cat and buying them products with meat. EXAMPLE... my cat (who passed away a year ago) came to me as a stray while at work of all places. No one could take care of him, he was declawed and had one tooth, and I absolutely do not like dumping animals at shelters. If I can't find a person for them, I hold onto them until I can. It's not as if I've encountered enough strays to do that very often but that's my philosophy. I also wasn't about to force my beliefs onto my cat as much as I wish I could. If a vegan goes out of their way to do anything that they believe may involve purchasing or consuming meat, then I would have to agree they're not 100% vegan or just not 100% committed to their cause yet. People like you set these harsh rules and scare people away from veganism. I'm a wavering vegetarian/vegan myself and comments like this make me lose motivation, as if I'm not doing enough. I've had one cat for 12 years (before becoming vegetarian) and had my other cat for 7 before I lost him and will continue to feed her meat products because she needs them to survive and live a healthy life. I'm not going to rob her of that because militant vegans like you try to shame me.
Considering that humans domesticated cats i find it self serving to ignore their needs in the guise of being 'vegan'. Ignoring the needs of other animals is unkind
Nms563 and Regie’93 like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#56 Old 08-05-2018, 12:40 AM

someone has to SLAUGHTER those lambs, cows, chickens etc that go into cat food. It's not a nice thought. The bleating lamb does not feel better that it will become pet food, not human food.

Neuter your cats! We have obligation to those in existence, but, short of lab grown meat becoming feasible, they cant be part of a distant vegan utopia.
#57 Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 AM

As human beings, we're responsible for our pets. Yet still we can't change their nature (and we're not allowed to do so). Even if they're domesticated creatures, that's unnatural for cats to consume only grass food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Considering that humans domesticated cats i find it self serving to ignore their needs in the guise of being 'vegan'. Ignoring the needs of other animals is unkind
So this ^
Ignoring the basic needs of a cat doesn't make you a better person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhilosophicalGent View Post
We have obligation to those in existence, but, short of lab grown meat becoming feasible, they cant be part of a distant vegan utopia.
Until then we should keep our pets healthy and happy

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir
#58 Old 08-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Vegan & Proud

My understanding is that cats, felines broadly speaking, are genetically designed for the consumption of meat - their digestive systems are small so that the meat passes through the body quicker. It's in their DNA. SO from this, it would actually be ethically questionable to force a feline to eat something they're not suited to consume and digest properly.

HUMANS on the other hand... our digestive systems are naturally made for consumption of plant based foods. Our long digestive system is designed for slow digestion to get the most out of our plant based diet (as it should be). We only started growing canine teeth because of the millennia of people eating meat, so this was an evolutionary mutation.

So we're all good being vegan, but cats aren't.
#59 Old 08-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Impeach the gangster

Our so-called "canines" are nothing like a canine's fangs. A wolf's fangs are shaped for piercing and holding prey. Our so-called "canines" are short and flat- shaped like little knives- ideal for slicing- just right for eating, say, a raw carrot. Whoever named them "canines" got it wrong.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#60 Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page