Could use advice on moving cats.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf and I are moving in together Nov 1st

I have two cats, brother and sister, two years old. He has one, 5yrs old.

We are moving out of both of our apartments and into a new one. All of the information I have seen online about introducing cats is when one already lives there, and another is introduced. What about introducing them to new cats and a new house all at once?

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks guys!

Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd suggest keeping them in seperate rooms at first. Let the adjust to each new room before you plunk them together. And if you rotate them around, their smells will mix before they even meet. So no one will have anything to be territorial about.

Good luck!
#3 Old 09-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

I'd suggest keeping them in seperate rooms at first. Let the adjust to each new room before you plunk them together. And if you rotate them around, their smells will mix before they even meet. So no one will have anything to be territorial about.

Good luck!

Ok that makes sense. So just use a similar approach as I would if one of them was living there already. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can rotate them into using the common areas, that might be good, too. If they can smell each other, or see each other under doors, that breeds familiarity, which eventually moves them toward being curious about each other, I've noticed.
#5 Old 09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks epski! about how long would you suggest? A period of a week? 2?

Thanks!
#6 Old 09-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever it seems like they might be ready. If the first introduction doesn't work out, put them in separate spaces again. Eventually they'll sorta deal with each other. You can spray them with water from a spray bottle if any fighting gets serious.
#7 Old 09-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I imagine it might...There will be an awful lotta claws in that house. Harp has extras lol. Thanks ep!
#8 Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

All cats may hide under beds for a week. I don't know how much one can do about that. When I moved back home, one of my cats had already lived here for 11 yrs, and she was like "Oh good, we're back here. When's dinner?" the other had only ever lived in my apartment and while he visited my parents with me every weekend, when we MOVED here, he freaked out!! How he knew the difference, I don't know. He hid under my bed for a week. There were two other cats in my parents house who he didn't know very well, though being very young he still was cool with other animals.

Maybe rotate bedding back and forth between the cats so they get accustomed to the smells of each other. You may let them encounter each other on their own (supervised) terms once they're comfortable with the house. As in, don't just grab two cats and stick them in each other's faces. When they are together, lavish them all in treats and love, and hope for the best! Your cats may get used to your bf's cat before your bf's cat is used to them, considering yours are younger and have not been only cats! Good luck!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 09-24-2004, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the advice is all good.

It should be easier overall than if one was already living there, as no-one will be trying to defend their own territory.
#10 Old 09-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

One more question...Since Harp and Guinness are brother and sister (my kitties) should EACH of the three cats be in a seperate room or should Harp and Guinness stay together, and Amber be in a seperate room?

I ask because about a year ago, I brought the kitties over to bf's house to meet Amber. Not only did they hiss at her the whole time, but they hissed at each other

Thanks so much for all your answers everyone I want all the babies to be happy and comfortable.
#11 Old 09-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I think Harp and Guinness would probably be happier in a room together. Since they know each other, they may take comfort in each others presence.

I moved my cats from Ontario to Saskatchewan. It was a three day drive with hotel stays. Molly and Oscar had grown up together but Squeaker was fairly new to the household when I had to move and she didn't get along well with the other two. The first few months, Squeaker would come out from under the bed only to eat. Now, while she tolerates the other two cats, they are definitely not best friends. When Molly and Oscar groom each other, Squeaker sits alone on her chair so I go over and groom her to make her feel like part of the family.

Hopefully all your little babies will get along.

BTW, I'm moving in a couple of days too. I'm trying to figure out where to put them when the movers come and how to get them over to the new place and settled in with the least amount of trauma.
#12 Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes! I too was wondering about where to put them while we are moving, etc. I'm thinking locked in the bathroom with litter and water is the safest bet. once all of the furniture and boxes are moved, my bf will go back to his old apt and i will go to mine to gather all the kitties!
#13 Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

The bathroom sounds like the best idea for you. My bathroom here is really small and since one cat doesn't particulary care for the other two, I don't think that's an option. I think I'm just going to have to talk to the movers and have them move the stuff out of my spare room first and then put the furkids in there until everything is out. No matter what I do, they won't be happy but at least they won't have to spend 3 days on the road!
#14 Old 09-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Watch out: my cat pissed all over everything when we were moving out of our last partment. She could tell something was up.
#15 Old 09-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I hear ya and I'm on watch for when the pee cat may strike!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page