8Likes
  • 1 Post By Shallot
  • 4 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 AM

Getting rid of mice

I'd like your opinion and your advice.

We've recently acquired an old farm house which we have begun renovating, and as they go, there are some residents in there already. Small and furry ones, cute to look at, but able to do a lot of damage to stuff, like the bags we used for transporting old textiles out.

Question is, how do I get rid of the mice, without necessarily killing them? I have cemented two holes they are probably coming out of, but any other ideas? I have got traps, but they are the more definitive kind, so I'm still holding back on them.

We also brought the in-laws cat along, but he seemed more interested in exploring the house. Anyway, as long as the mice don't start wearing their tin-of-whiskas costumes I doubt he would even chase them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have heard that the smell of cat - especially their pee - can put mice off. If it's just mice the problem isn't too bad - they are super shy in comparison to rats - and as long as you are able to keep food stashed away so that they cannot get to it and block up any holes you might be able to put them off. However if there's an established mouse population (rather than the odd incursion) I'm not sure how effective any of this will be.
#3 Old 03-08-2016, 07:01 AM
No flesh since 99'

Make sure you seal up the house and invest in some good live traps (the old fashion metal wire kind, not the cheap plastic ones from Home Depot). Mice should be released several miles away, as not to have them come back.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallot View Post
I have heard that the smell of cat - especially their pee - can put mice off.
That's never been true IME. Every fall, I've been busy trying to catch and release mice who are trying to move in before winter (it's always an issue if you live in the country) before the cats can get them.

As others have said, patch up holes, and keep all food (including pet food and anything else that might attract mice) securely stored in airtight containers so that they can't smell it.
karenlovessnow likes this.
#5 Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 AM

Trapping them alive then releasing them somewhere in the forest seems to be reasonable enough for me. Or putting them with their in a room with the in-laws other cats. That'd be like shark-diving for the mice before I release them a few miles away in a forest. Thanks!

My father-in-law also suggested not to poison them, since they tend to get to very inaccessible places before they die and the smell will stay with you for a long time. He's renovating another house and he has rat troubles, but also a cat who chases and attacks them. I also heard that same terriers go after rats, especially Jack Russells.
#6 Old 03-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I've heard that peppermint (or maybe it has to be the stronger, more concentrated peppermint oil) smells bad to them. I've heard that people use cotton balls with a bit of peppermint oil and put them where they want to chase mice away, but I don't know if this would make your cat sick. Maybe google a bit and see if anyone else has had good results?

I've heard that those ultrasonic things don't really bother the mice enough to get rid of them, but haven't tried them. Maybe they would bother your cat.

(I love easygoing cats who leave small critters alone.)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 03-17-2016 at 05:33 PM.
#7 Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

These earthlings were occupying the house before you came along. Don't they have some property rights here? Or at least tenants rights. You should learn to coexist with them. Or you could get a better cat.
#8 Old 03-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Vegan since 1991

If you use the humane live traps, remember that you need to check the traps several times a day. If a mouse is left in a trap for more than a few hours, it can die from dehydration (depending on how hydrated the mouse is to begin with). http://www.humanepestcontroltips.com...se-traps.shtml
Tom and karenlovessnow like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#9 Old 03-18-2016, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
If you use the humane live traps, remember that you need to check the traps several times a day. If a mouse is left in a trap for more than a few hours, it can die from dehydration (depending on how hydrated the mouse is to begin with). http://www.humanepestcontroltips.com...se-traps.shtml

Indeed...this is very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#10 Old 03-18-2016, 04:58 AM

Good point with the dehydration. Well, this will work for now I guess, but as soon as the work's finished and we're living there, we'll get some cats.

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Wink

If you use the live humane traps and put some pieces of apple in the trap you won't have to worry about dehyratation. (or vegetables such as carrot or squash cut in small cubes). You can find the traps on line at Amazon. They are big enough to catch several mice at a time and be able to leave food in them to get them by until you release them. If you have old barns or sheds of any kind near by, this is a perfect place to release them. If they are house mice they need some kind of shelter near by. Even a wood pile or brush pile will work while they establish their new home. I always leave some food source with them at the time of release as well. Just ordinary oatmeal and sunflower seeds will work and some cut up apples. Good luck! It worked for me!
#12 Old 11-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra biped View Post
These earthlings were occupying the house before you came along. Don't they have some property rights here? Or at least tenants rights. You should learn to coexist with them. Or you could get a better cat.
Sorry but there's no coexisting with mice. I had an influx of mice in a horse barn once and they were so prolific and bold that there came a point where the little beggars didn't even run and hide anymore. The stink from mouse urine made the two large horses smell like roses.

We used those little live traps that you can get to remove them from a house we lived in last year and they worked wonders. Then I carried them through the woods to the other side of a stream to let them go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page