A mother again at 54. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Banned

I went to the local animal shelter and found a darling rat terrier/shelty? small adult female who is quite the charmer. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow to get her shots and general physical. She doesn't act like she feels good, but nothing risked, nothing gained. She went to sleep in my arms just like a baby. I will be having her spayed PDQ if she is healthy enough. She was found on a doorstep, very thirsty. She even appears to have some knowledge of potty training.

What kind of food is best for small dogs? I got dry, tiny pieces, but she hasn't touched it. I know in new situations, animals don't always eat, but she seems to be just soaking in the quiet in our house.

I also found that the Pet Smarts in Oklahoma City do not sell dogs and cats anymore. The animals they have are rescued from shelters. Their sign says they don't sell dogs and cats because there are so many unwanted animals and so they have adoption fairs on the week ends. I was impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Beginner

Congrats, you lucky momma.

As far as food, it depends on her. Some dogs will take a liking to some brands and won't touch others. A high quality food without all the by products/fillers is best.

Did you ask at the shelter what they were feeding there? Even if you choose to feed a different brand, it's probably best to give her what she's used to while acculimating (sp?) to your home. Also dog's can experience digestive upset when changing foods, which make a stressful situation (new home) worse. So changing over slowly by mixing old brand with new is best.

The Petsmarts' in this area do the adoption rather than selling thing as well. Definately a step in the right direction.

Post pics of your lovely girl!
#3 Old 08-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Some food brands offer samples to try out. The vet may also prefer you use a certain kind of food, at least at first. Good luck with the new companion! (is this to help fight off empty nest syndrome?)

Also, cool about the Pet store. I wish that were the norm, and not the other way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Nutritionally, any of the premium brands should be sufficent, look for like "Small Dog Formula". In terms of what the dog prefers... I guess you'll have to experiment. Look for free samples, like Epski reccomended.
#5 Old 08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

I took her to the vet for her checkup and shots, and she is a very sick little girl. She has severe hook worms and maybe parvo. I realize I may loose my little friend. But I would still rather she dies in a loving home than in the pound.
#6 Old 08-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

What'd they put her on?
#7 Old 08-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Awww...I'm sorry that your new baby is not well, Life2k. I'll keep good thoughts for her...she's very lucky to have you as her new mom.
#8 Old 08-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned

antibiotics, hook worm meds, and we will be doing pidialyte 1 tablespoon every hour, pepto every eight hours until she stops barfing.
#9 Old 08-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Did they run blood tests? If so, did she come back as anemic?
#10 Old 08-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

awww poor baby, I'm so sorry shes sick

You're doing a wonderful thing by keeping her, you have no idea how many people would have taken her back to the pound, good luck and let us know how she is.
#11 Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Banned

He didn't run blood tests, but he mentioned how the worms were sucking blood. He did say her color was good. We will try a different Dr. if she doesn't get better in the next 12 hours.
#12 Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm suprised he didn't give the injection treatment. But, I'm not a vet... Hookworms do suck blood frlom the intestinal lining. If you are going to switch vets, make sure to get all the papers from the current vet ASAP, so there's no delay waiting for them once the other vet wants them. I'm suprised they didn't do blood tests... It sounds like the dog has a pretty bad case, and I know in some bad hookworm cases they have to do blood transfusions because the animal is so anemic.
#13 Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

She really should be in the hospital overnight. Sounds like she could use some IV fluids. If they suspect parvo, then she really really needs to be in the hospital.

They didn't run any blood tests at all? That doesn't sound right. That would be the first thing my hospital would do. Frankly, giving pedialyte and pepto for a case such as this doesn't sound right either. If she is as sick as it sounds, she needs stronger stuff!

I think you should try another vet.
#14 Old 08-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Poor baby. I'll say a prayer the poor sweetie gets better. Remember, love is the best medicine.
#15 Old 08-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know a lot about dogs but I'm with the others who reccomended seeing another vet right away and bringing the paper work from your current vet. I had a new orphaned feral kitten almost die on me and it wouldn't have been as bad as it got if the vet had taken all the precautions when I first brought her in. I ended up bringing her to the same vet probably 6 times in 2 weeks. She ended up having to be in a kitty incubator and shot up with fluids and vitamins. When she came home I had to administer lots of medications and force feed her every 2 hours for several days. It was so hard on both of us not to mention I almost lost my home trying to pay for everything. I hate to say it but I feel my vet at the time put off important necessary treatments because she knew it would make her more money if my kittys condition got worse. (I have not/will not go back to that vet!)

Maybe a pet hospital would be best for your dog at this point. I wish you and her the best. You are a stand up person for helping her so try to keep your spirit knowing you are doing the right thing. And if you keep a positive attitude it may help her too because your emotional state will directly affect her.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#16 Old 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

We don't have pet "hospitals" here in the boonies, but I am taking her to the other vet. At least she will get constant care.

Our pound is not considered an animal shelter. It is a tiny cement block and siding building about 14' by 16' built back in the 50's. There isn't even anyone on duty.
#17 Old 08-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Bless you for taking that poor sick baby home and caring for her. I sincerely hope she makes it, and I am sending love and good vibes to you and her. In case she doesn't, I am thankful that she got to spend some time in a loving home instead of languishing in the pound.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#18 Old 08-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Where do you live?
#19 Old 08-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Best wishes for you two. You have such a wonderful attitude about the situation...

ETA: Last time I lived in a major city (Houston) the Petcos and PetSmarts also did not sell animals, but sponsored adoption clinics instead. I also thought it was wonderful!
#20 Old 08-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

You rock. That is one lucky dog to have you taking care of it through this difficult time.
#21 Old 08-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Life2K, have I told you how awesome you are lately? So many people would've just taken her back to the pound when they found out she was sick. I'll say a prayer for her and you. Does she have a name yet?
#22 Old 09-01-2004, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I somehow missed this thread, but I got your PM. That's great that you adopted a dog. I'm keeping her in my thoughts. I hope it's not parvo, but I'm glad to hear that you have her on meds and are watching her health. Parvo is pretty unusual in adults. Seems odd that the shelter wouldn't vaccinate against it (it's a standard vaccine), but maybe she hadn't been there long and already had it. Did they give you her shot records when you adopted her? I hope all goes well and I'll be thinking positive thoughts for her. Hopefully she'll be fine once the worms get out.

The food you bought is probably fine for her, after she gets over her sickness you can mix in some canned food to get her to eat. But for now if she's throwing up then you don't want to give her dog food anyways. Usually you'll feed a combination of hamburger (ground chuck) and white rice, but the vet would know more. How old is she?

(BTW, I'm pretty sure all PetSmart's and Petcos have stopped selling dogs and cats. They still sell birds, fish and small animals like guinea pigs.)
#23 Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 AM
Banned

She is 5 months the vet said. She lived through the night. Her tail still wags. But the news isn't very promising.
#24 Old 09-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Normally pups are vaccinated for Parvo starting around six weeks, so she probably wasn't vaccinated, and obviously introducing more of it through the vaccine, now that she potentially has it, wouldn't be good. If you want to PM me with your general location, I can see what I can do with finding an animal hospital nearby.
#25 Old 09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

My baby is much better. I have her home. She's watching me type with one finger. She has been eating cottage cheese and drinking pedialite and water. She has kept it down since last nite about 2:00am. The vet was surprised at how fast she came out of it. A little nursing here at home, and she will be fine. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers.
#26 Old 09-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Keep us posted on her progress, please.
#27 Old 09-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Cottage cheese? Did the vet reccomend that? Never heard of that being fed to dogs (at least because of medical ailments)
#28 Old 09-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Banned

Me either. He said it was easy for them to digest and easy on the irritated parvo spots on the digestive tract.
#29 Old 09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better!
#30 Old 09-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Great news!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page