Is keeping Pets Ethical? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

#1 Old 12-01-2015, 02:59 AM

Is keeping Pets Ethical?

I've been running this through my mind for some time now. And I can't help but wonder, is keeping carnivorous pets ethical?
It's not ethical to kill animals for human consumption, so why would it be for animal consumption.
I myself am a Fruitarian/Raw Vegan, and I keep carnivorous animals. I have two cats which are fed their natural diet, raw meat. I also keep reptiles, which are fed their natural diet, whole mice and rats.
I see all the time people converting say a dog to a vegan diet, I don't support that being dogs really do need meat, and aren't designed to eat a whole lot of plant matter. Yes they are omnivorous, but are primarily carnivores. Cats on the other hand, are obligate carnivores and cannot eat plant matter. Same with my snakes.
It isn't okay to kill animals for humans to eat, and if we lived in a world where all humans became what they should be, Vegan, what would we do to care for our pets?
Converting them to vegans isn't an option. And if we only kept herbivores pipe bunnies as pets, what would happen to all the domestic dogs, cats, reptiles and other exotics?
Any thought or ideas about this will help, I can't help but wonder about this. As most of the pet food comes from farm leftovers, and mice and rats in the reptile world are bred in the same way as industrial farms for cattle and ect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Beginner

I think whether a vegan/vegetarian is comfortable keeping carnivorous pets is ultimately a matter of personal choice. My take on it is that I don't believe it's unethical for a lion to eat meat, therefore I don't think it's unethical to feed my cats (both of which were strays that I adopted) the diet that they have to have to remain healthy.

Although humans are animals the truth is that we are animals with the luxury of choice about what we eat, and an evolved moral conscience. That puts us in a different category as far as our ethical responsibility toward our fellow residents of this planet than say, a housecat or a cheetah.
#3 Old 12-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Beginner

If you treat them as family, sure. Particularly if you are saving one's life by rescuing them.

Dog, guts and guns..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 AM

I see where you both come from, but I can't help but think of this. A lion in the wild and say a zebra in the wild are both wild. A zebra has a chance to escape, or get eaten. In captivity, a chicken or whatever feeder we use for animals, don't have that fair chance.
Of course I love my animals more than anything, and I do feed them what they are designed to eat, but I can't help but feel guilty supporting the meat industry when I myself do not.
#5 Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

After my doggie died, I have decided not to rescue any more pets except herbivores. I miss having a dog around terribly.
#6 Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
It isn't okay to kill animals for humans to eat, and if we lived in a world where all humans became what they should be, Vegan, what would we do to care for our pets?
I suspect by the time everyone becomes vegan, we'll have learned how to "grow" meat without it ever having had a consciousness.

What would the more ethical choice be for you than keeping your pets? Giving them away to someone else who will feed them the same amount of meat and perhaps love them less? That would be an empty gesture because the same number of animals will still suffer and die so that they can live. Have them put to sleep? Terrible. Give them an unhealthy diet? Equally terrible. Set them "free"? They've been domesticated and taught to be dependent upon humans, so that's just condemning them to a slower death.

The truth is we've domesticated cats and dogs and yes, chickens. So we're responsible and there's no way to abdicate that responsibility. They can't suddenly be wild animals again. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. You're already doing more than 99% of the humans on this planet.
#7 Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 AM

I have had the same dilemma. I have a cat, and wondered if feeding her a non vegan is ethical. It would be far worse to starve her with a diet not designed for her or give her away. I had wondered what they would eat in the wild, and not much since they are really a pet, not a wild animal. They could catch mice or birds, but that would still mean that I am allowing my cat to eat meat. Also, it puts her in danger being outside, so she's an indoor cat.

I realized that a cat is a companion animal, not a wild animal.
Cats were and are, used on farms to exterminate mice. They probably also ate or eat whatever was or is butchered by the farmer.

Cat food companies came along and packaged food for cats. It's a lot better than buying free roaming mice for your cat to eat.
I would avoid companies that use byproducts, and look for at least a fair or "ethical" brand.

Remember, it's a cat eating meat, not a human. Humans are omnivores, and we have the moral distinction and capabilities to survive as vegans. Cats do not.

Think, if you had a lion or meat eating animal sanctuary, would you only feed it plant matter? Or would you provide it meat? It's a meat eater. Humans are omnivores. We make the choice to be vegan. Just as we make choices to not kill or steal. Animals do not, we have to provide for those who can not make it on their own.

Last edited by Ukvege; 12-01-2015 at 10:28 AM.
#8 Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
After my doggie died, I have decided not to rescue any more pets except herbivores. I miss having a dog around terribly.
Herbivorous animals are great but all species have their special niches and sucks to have to cancel out certain animals because of their diet.

Several years ago I decided I wasn't going to take on any more animals that require meat to thrive (but maybe I might do foster care). Last year after my cat died people asked me if a was going to get a kitten. Of course I answered no, but then I had a thought, 'well if a little kitty turns up at my doorstep I can't just turn it away.' Well I guess I thought that too loudly because several weeks later 2 kittens were abandoned by my house and they spent the night right out side the door (I had fed them...). I tried to get rid of them, but every 5th person around here is giving away kittens. So I kept them, but I'm not going to go out of my way to adopt meat eaters! And I definitely don't support the breeding of carnivorous pet (I don't support the breeding of any pets).

On the bright side a least most cat food isn't made from animals bred and killed for pet feed; but the better quality stuff is. I've looked into insect based pet food, on the assumption that bugs might not suffer as much as vertebrates, but that's not a thing in the US. Hopefully lab grown meat gets on the market in the near future.
Thalassa and ruthwfortunato like this.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#9 Old 12-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I think it having to eat meat shouldn't affect you owning or not owning one. Dogs don't really have morals like we do, they don't have a choice, they don't see it's wrong. It's their nature and it's who they are to eat meat. I mean it'll be silly if we just made all the carnivores in the world eat veggies. A little silly to see a lion to stalk a soybeans rather than gazelle.
It may be hard for you but if you do ever decide to get another dog, I would feed him a raw meat diet. Just because pet food companies throw things in their kibble that are so terrible for the health of your pet, that and a lot of the meat comes from big meat companies like Perdue.
Most raw diets are from local farms and it helps put me at Ease.
#10 Old 12-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
Quote:
I suspect by the time everyone becomes vegan, we'll have learned how to "grow" meat without it ever having had a consciousness.

What would the more ethical choice be for you than keeping your pets? Giving them away to someone else who will feed them the same amount of meat and perhaps love them less? That would be an empty gesture because the same number of animals will still suffer and die so that they can live. Have them put to sleep? Terrible. Give them an unhealthy diet? Equally terrible. Set them "free"? They've been domesticated and taught to be dependent upon humans, so that's just condemning them to a slower death.

The truth is we've domesticated cats and dogs and yes, chickens. So we're responsible and there's no way to abdicate that responsibility. They can't suddenly be wild animals again. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. You're already doing more than 99% of the humans on this planet.

That is all very true. They have become our responsibility and because of that we must take the absolute best care of them. I think no matter what animal we have it'll somehow still support the industry. Having a cat or dog, it'll mean contributing to the meat industry. Having something like a rabbit would add more Monocrops to be fed to the animals as they eat hay.
I think the least we can do is support local farmers to feed our cats and dogs. That is what I do, I get the leftovers from local butchered chicken. It's better than supporting big pet food companies who get their meat from factory farms.
#11 Old 12-01-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan2 View Post
If you treat them as family, sure. Particularly if you are saving one's life by rescuing them.
Both my cats are rescues and I am so happy to have made that decision. I just wish it was easier to feed carnivorous pets and feel happy about it rather than guilty you purchased meat.
#12 Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post
On the bright side a least most cat food isn't made from animals bred and killed for pet feed; but the better quality stuff is. I've looked into insect based pet food, on the assumption that bugs might not suffer as much as vertebrates, but that's not a thing in the US. Hopefully lab grown meat gets on the market in the near future.
But pet food is from the meat industry. Mainly factory farms. I use to watch shows like How It's Made and Food Factory out of curiosity. I was shocked to see how many companies that made food from meat shipped off extras (organs, necks, bones, ect.) to become kibble.
Kibble alone isn't good for cats one bit. That's why I feed mine raw, it comes from a local farm. Though my heart breaks everyone I have to see that raw chicken in their dinner plates, it makes me feel a little better that it's not coming from the factory farms that are killing this planet.
I do hope you decide to continue keeping carnivores, there's just so many that need homes. I too wish that there was a much easier way to produce meat but we will have to wait for that.
Just think, if everyone who became vegan decided not to keep carnivores, the homeless rate and the amount of animals euthanized will be so high!
Thalassa likes this.
#13 Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylarhnee View Post
I do hope you decide to continue keeping carnivores, there's just so many that need homes. I too wish that there was a much easier way to produce meat but we will have to wait for that.
Just think, if everyone who became vegan decided not to keep carnivores, the homeless rate and the amount of animals euthanized will be so high!
There is an overpopulation problem with herbivores too; I don't think meat eating pet are any more deserving of life than them.

This is my personal opinion but I think it is less wrong to humanely kill a carnivorous pet than it is to kill animals, with similar capacities for suffering, to feed the carnivore. I'm not saying a carnivore is doing anything wrong by being a carnivore but a food animal isn't doing anything wrong by being food for a carnivore either.
Tom likes this.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#14 Old 12-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Beginner

Domesticated animals such as cats and dogs are wholly dependent on human activity. They aren't wild and the vast majority would end up starving or as coyote snacks if humans weren't around. Note, when I say human activity I am also referring to feral cats and dogs that still depend on human waste/garbage/sympathy to survive. Without it their future would be be bleak. Some would survive.

There is a very strong case to be made that domestic dog's and cat's evolutionary development is intertwined with our own. Meaning that without them we would not be here quite as we are -if at all. For example, there is an interesting article over at National Geographic that posits it was not humans who domesticated the first wolves (proto dogs), but the wolves who domesticated us.

Imagine what life would be like without the domestic cat. For thousands of years they have kept rodent populations in check. Mice eat grains, fruits, you name it. Not only do they eat it, they spoil it. People in the Fertile Crescent were using domestic cats for rodent control 12,000 years ago. It works.

For my part I will refrain from making any hasty moral judgments on people who keep cats and dogs. We might need them in the future -that, and I have already made plans to go to dog heaven when I die.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#15 Old 12-01-2015, 02:27 PM
No flesh since 99'

It's a hard and highly personal decision whether or not to keep carnivorous/insectivore companion animals. I have 2 insectivores (newt and gecko). I will never get rid of my scaly babies or feed them an unnatural diet, but I would not consider adopting any future companion animals who need live prey once they pass from old age. I will be sad when they pass, but I will not miss feeding them live insects. Insects are bad enough (and when my beardie was alive, the baby mice she ate was horrible enough), but I don't think I could do slabs of bloody raw meat for dogs and cats. I would consider adopting a vegan reptile, tortoise and possibly a second parrot in the future though. Dogs and cats are completely out of the question for me anyways. Beyond being allergic and not agreeable to certain care needs, my parrot is not caged during the day and I would never take that freedom away from him after the abuse he suffered in prior homes nor put him in danger by keeping a carnivore in the same home while he was 'free roaming'.

Dogs and cats are not the only pets who need loving homes that are up for adoption by the millions. I think a lot of vegans never consider adopting more 'exotic' pets who are natural vegans because of the 'stigma' from the vegan community of being a vegan with an exotic companion animal. They are out there though, species specific shelters are overflowing and they need love too! At the end of the day, it's all up to you what you can personally live with and to consider the best environment that is conducive to all your furry, feathered or scaly companions.
faded_amaranth likes this.
#16 Old 12-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylarhnee View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I think it having to eat meat shouldn't affect you owning or not owning one. Dogs don't really have morals like we do, they don't have a choice, they don't see it's wrong. It's their nature and it's who they are to eat meat. I mean it'll be silly if we just made all the carnivores in the world eat veggies. A little silly to see a lion to stalk a soybeans rather than gazelle.
It may be hard for you but if you do ever decide to get another dog, I would feed him a raw meat diet. Just because pet food companies throw things in their kibble that are so terrible for the health of your pet, that and a lot of the meat comes from big meat companies like Perdue.
Most raw diets are from local farms and it helps put me at Ease.
Thank you, I miss her terribly, though it was some time ago.

Of course the pet having to eat meat affects my decision to adopt an animal. I have a vegan kitchen, a vegan home as much as possible. Bringing in dead raw animal flesh from some mythical nice farm to feed to my dog sounds, tbh, very selfish. I want a dog around, so sorry farm animals, we will have to slit your throats now.
#17 Old 12-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I think sharing a home with animal companions is fine if they've been rescued. If they've been purchased from pet stores or breeders then I don't think that's ethical.

As far as feeding animals goes, I think it makes sense to reduce the amount of meat as much as possible. For example, most dogs can eat vegan kibble. For those who can't it's likely they don't need to eat exclusively meat. My three dogs all eat vegan kibble and they're all happy and healthy. Cats, on the other hand, should probably eat meat. So if possible source that meat from so-called "humane" sources as much as possible and perhaps buy beef instead of chicken because then fewer animals have to die. It's definitely a conflict. We each need to navigate these kinds of complicated ethical issues ourselves. I resolve it buy remembering that my cats eat far less meat than my omni human neighbor. And as soon as lab meat becomes available I will start feeding them that.
#18 Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

One possible way out of this dilemma would be to develop a truly adequate food for carnivorous pets which was not made from animals. Such foods are said to exist but we've had some debate here as to whether they are as good as their advocates claim (yet).

More generally, as others have mentioned, herbivorous animals need homes too, and are available for adoption.
Kiwibird08 and Jamie in Chile like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#19 Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I struggle with this too, and I don't think there is a black and white, right or wrong answer. I had caged birds for many years and I loved them and enjoyed their company, but when I went vegan and opened my eyes more to the pet industry, among other things, I decided to phase out having caged "pets". My last bird passed away a few months ago. I buried him in the yard and for now put that cage in my basement on a shelf somewhere. It is the first time I have not had a close companion animal in my life since I was a little girl decades ago. My partner has a dog, but she is really his dog, though she is my friend and I help take care of her. He buys her food and refuses to allow me to try her on a vegan diet, but I have given her some vegetables, cooked rice, a few beans in place of meals here and there and she seems to like it and tolerate it well..which is HUGE because she has a very sensitive stomach and can not handle doggie treats people try to give her, even at the vet.

If I lived alone more than likely i would not have even a cat or dog because I just can't bring myself to buy animal food that was slaughtered for such. I understand though that there are too many animals in need of homes, and I would not look down on someone who rescued one or more of them and fed them meat if that's what the animal required to thrive. I have met people who have vegan dogs and they seem to do well, so I wouldn't dismiss that either if someone chose to go that route and was knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile to ensure their dog's health.

The thought of keeping caged animals is hard too. I can't imagine living my entire life in a cage, and I still feel so much guilt and remorse for the animals I kept in cages for years. I tried to give them the best life I could.

When I consider my reasons for wanting an animal companion, I think sometimes it is out of personal need and maybe some selfishness on my part. Animals give unconditional love, something that is lacking severely in my life right now. But is that a reason to adopt one? I don't know if I have the time or space to give a companion animal what he or she requires. I think people go out and acquire animals too hastily sometimes without thinking through how long that animal is going to live, what he/she will need, and what to do in the event the person can no longer care for that animal. Because that can happen too. Any of us can be hit by a car, or shot in a mall, or who knows what other tragedy or illness. If it is a child left behind, there are safeguards usually in place for them. This is often lacking with "pets". Costs of vet care and other expenses have to be considered too. It is a huge undertaking. I don't want to acquire a companion animal simply for entertainment or to fulfill personal needs.

Also, there is more we can do for animals besides adopting. We can volunteer our time and money at rescue organizations, or foster animals, and certainly advocate for spaying and neutering. Consider too, that when people let their cats and dogs roam around the neighborhood, native birds and other wildlife are subject to attacks, and those cats/dogs are subject to being run over by vehicles or attacked by other dogs/cats etc. We can educate the public about animal laws and so on.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#20 Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

My life would certainly be easier if I didn't live with carnivorous animals. I often think that, if I had to do it over, I would adopt only herbivorous animals. I do live with parrots, and rabbits would be an easy addition to them.

However, then reality sets in. Cats have always literally shown up on my doorstep.* Some of my dogs too, although some I have adopted from various rescue organizations. I know that, no matter how firm my resolve to adopt only herbivorous animals might be, I will never be able to turn a blind eye when an especially needy cat or dog literally crosses my path.

*Among the cats with whom I currently live are four female cats who were dumped on my property heavily pregnant/with newborn litters (said kittens, now grown, also live with me); a male who was dumped on my property after being so badly kicked that both hips are permanently injured; one feline leukemia positive cat and several feline aids positive cats who were not adoptable out because of their conditions.
Blue Gingham and mackiesgirl like this.
#21 Old 12-01-2015, 09:53 PM

I have never had to go looking for a pet, they have always found me. I have two cats now that showed up at my doorstep and needed a home. I had a german shepard who was stray for many years. I have literally had a bunny thrown over my fence! Someone threw her into my yard at my dog. I guess they thought she would eat her. But she didn't. I found her in the backyard licking the bunny. I ran out and brought the bunny inside.She died last fall from old age. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a big sucker for every homeless pet going. I don't think that is going to change.
#22 Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 PM
Longtime vegetarian

I know I'm late to the party, but here goes: I cannot IMAGINE my life without pets. I've had some combination of cats, dogs, and birds for as long as I can remember and, with very few exceptions, they've all been rescues. My thinking is that if *I* hadn't adopted them, who knows what would've ended up happening. They could very easily have been killed. So when I look at them and debate with myself the ethics of keeping pets, what I see are beautiful creatures who are living safe, happy, comfy lives with a woman who loves them.

I don't LIKE having to feed them animal-based food, but unlike me they cannot be vegan/vegetarian. (I currently only have cats. When I still had dogs, Great Danes, they were on a vegetarian diet (Nature's Recipe) which started because of a food allergy issue--and they thrived on it, but cats are a different story.) I try to hold my breath and not smell the canned cat food (animal flesh) as I'm getting it ready for them, and I just remind myself that it's a trade-off I'm willing to participate in, i.e., being able to have--and save/rescue--pets even though that means feeding them animal flesh. For whatever it might be worth, I only buy seafood varieties of cat food. I tell myself that fish caught in the open ocean had it better than cows, pigs, chickens, etc., subjected to the horrors of factory farms and slaughterhouses.
#23 Old 06-18-2016, 12:05 PM

This thought went through my mind today. I have two dogs and two cats and I will feed them what they need to eat but in the future, I will not have a pet who requires meat in their diet. The dogs are under 2 and one kitty is under 3 so it will probably be a long time before I can adopt a herbivore pet. Possibly a fish or two in the near future but I /think/ don't quote me on this but I do think fish food has meat in it as well.
#24 Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 PM

Perhaps not so much dogs, but cats and other obligate carnivores require meat in order to stay healthy (or, at least, certain nutrients such as taurine that can only be obtained from meat). It is their natural diet. In the wild they hunt their food themselves, without tools, and they eat it raw. Raw meat is not only poisonous, but unappetising, to humans.

It's up to you, but personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with adopting a carnivorous pet from a rescue. They are going to eat meat whether you are the one to adopt them or not, because they need it, and by rescuing you are not supporting more of them being bred. There are enough animals in shelters as it is.

If you're concerned about the ethics of keeping them in a cage or restricted to only your house/garden, rescue animals have been bred and raised in captivity and lack the ability to survive in the wild. The diet they're supposed to eat has not changed, however.
Sidhuriel and Thalassa like this.
#25 Old 06-18-2016, 10:34 PM

I see it as the animal MUST eat meat to survive, so unlike humans, there's no choice where pets are concerned. I don't know if keeping pets is natural, but I do know there's a ton of research that shows pets help ward off depression and loneliness in humans. So I don't think God frowns on us having a "friend" at home to keep us from getting lonely and committing suicide or something equally foolish. I think God would disapprove if you let that pet take over your life. AKA you use the dog as an excuse to never interact with humans or have children. Some people try to use their pet as a replacement child or as a stand-in for something else missing in their life that they could easily have if they got off their butt and stopped being lazy.
*Note: I'm not saying everyone's required to have children, I'm just saying some people absolutely would choose to have children, but they're using the pet as an excuse to not go thru with it.

Also, think about if every human on the planet went vegan, and only the pets were still eating meat. We wouldn't need very many factory-farms, if any, to produce the meat required. I know there are a lot of pets, but there are far more humans eating meat on this planet.
#26 Old 03-31-2017, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Parrot Confidential

If you're thinking of adopting a pet, then you should at least make damn sure that you'll be committed to taking care of it. Here's a very sad documentary film that reveals what happens to a lot of parrots that are no longer wanted by their owners. You can watch the film here on-line @
Naturebound likes this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Ger Jonker; 03-31-2017 at 02:18 AM.
#27 Old 04-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Bandit

While keeping birds in cages certainly is unethical - is there really a debate about keeping birds in cages??? - and I respect the rights of other vegans to refrain from being pet owners, I honestly think that people who preach about banning pets entirely are stupid *******s who have clearly missed the entire point of veganism. I say this because allowing colonies of cats to be feral is monumentally cruel, especially in suburbs and cities, and dogs are seen as weak prey even by their wolf cousins. Unless you want cats to suffer and relish packs of wild dogs wandering around town, you should probably re-think how much of a vegan you actually are if you can't think holistically about animal health and safety and just cling to some irrational purism. I mean does no pets also mean no sanctuaries for animals who were victims of the agricultural industry?

Yes pet stores which sell animals suck, and so is breeding for money, but really...???

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#28 Old 04-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
My life would certainly be easier if I didn't live with carnivorous animals. I often think that, if I had to do it over, I would adopt only herbivorous animals. I do live with parrots, and rabbits would be an easy addition to them.

However, then reality sets in. Cats have always literally shown up on my doorstep.* Some of my dogs too, although some I have adopted from various rescue organizations. I know that, no matter how firm my resolve to adopt only herbivorous animals might be, I will never be able to turn a blind eye when an especially needy cat or dog literally crosses my path.

*Among the cats with whom I currently live are four female cats who were dumped on my property heavily pregnant/with newborn litters (said kittens, now grown, also live with me); a male who was dumped on my property after being so badly kicked that both hips are permanently injured; one feline leukemia positive cat and several feline aids positive cats who were not adoptable out because of their conditions.
Yes. I help with an official cat rescue and most of these animals were dumped or abandoned on the streets of Los Angeles, the exception being an elderly woman who died and left her housefull of cats.

Most ethical rescue persons, whether vegetarian or vegan, make sure the cats and dogs are spayed or neutered, and even do trap and release (and sometimes birth control) for feral colonies. They're not breeders nor do they allow pets to breed irresponsibly just because they think babies are cute.

While I understand the *personal* choice to refrain from keeping companion animals, I think vegans who condemn all companion animals and rescue are irrational people who understand very little about nature. Feral cats in the countryside who get out of control are predators of native bird species and are prey themselves to wild animals (tell that to the idiots who abandon their pets in Griffith Park, a coyote, mountain lion, or red tail hawk will eat them in 24 hours, flat) ...even worse of course are cruel dirty suburbs or cities filled with horrible people and traffic and limited natural food sources.

I don't think it is "more ethical" to euthanize a carnivore than an herbivore, that's speciesim, and only think euthanasia is fair to sick, elderly, and mentally ill/dangerous companion animals.

It's possible to feed companion animals vegan pet food, and regular pet food is pretty much the scraps of what people eat, it's not like there are special cat food farms. Even if there were, PEOPLE consuming animal products is the problem...if only carnivores ate meat, we would not be in the situation we are in, in terms of the environment, and humane treatment of animals used for companion animals could be much more strictly regulated, it would be minimal in comparison.

Besides, cats and dogs evolved with humans for a reason. Dogs keep us safe and cats keep things like the Bubonic Plague at bay...I think people who throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak, make vegans look foolish and uneducated.

Ingrid Newkirk
#29 Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post
I see it as the animal MUST eat meat to survive, so unlike humans, there's no choice where pets are concerned. I don't know if keeping pets is natural, but I do know there's a ton of research that shows pets help ward off depression and loneliness in humans. So I don't think God frowns on us having a "friend" at home to keep us from getting lonely and committing suicide or something equally foolish. I think God would disapprove if you let that pet take over your life. AKA you use the dog as an excuse to never interact with humans or have children. Some people try to use their pet as a replacement child or as a stand-in for something else missing in their life that they could easily have if they got off their butt and stopped being lazy.
*Note: I'm not saying everyone's required to have children, I'm just saying some people absolutely would choose to have children, but they're using the pet as an excuse to not go thru with it.

Also, think about if every human on the planet went vegan, and only the pets were still eating meat. We wouldn't need very many factory-farms, if any, to produce the meat required. I know there are a lot of pets, but there are far more humans eating meat on this planet.
I agree with most of what you're saying. Whether you include God in this, or simply refer to the biological concept of "mutualism symbiosis" then it's fine. I think the idea of being vegan is to prevent humans from being the parasite, so to speak, upon agricultural animals and animals used for skin and fur (and entertainment in exploitative environments, like Sea World). Companion animals on the other hand benefit from our companionship as much as we do from theirs. We feed them and keep them warm and safe, and in my experience, most cats want human love as much as dogs, just in a different way.

Carnivores also prevent herbivorous animals from getting out of control in the wild. When wolves eat deer, it prevents deer overpopulation which leads to starvation and destruction of plant life, as well. Removing carnivores from an ecosystem just allows herbivores to suffer in the long term. The difference is that humans have disturbed all this by "meat gluttony." In reference to the Bible, everyone was vegan in Genesis, and people were only allowed to later eat animals under certain strict conditions. There is nothing natural about the way humans consume animals in the 21st century. If only companion animals ate meat, environmental destroying cattle and hog farming could be removed from the equation entirely, since humans raise them strictly for their own benefit.

The only thing I disagree with you about is the why humans keep companion animals. The world is also overpopulated with humans and if people don't want children that's their business.

Ingrid Newkirk
#30 Old 04-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen17 View Post

There is so much I find offensive about this post, I can't let it go without comment
First off, the whole thought that goes into the use of "pet" is against the entire premise of being vegan. Animals are not here for our entertainment or to be used as our support system. The ones we let in our homes are our family. They don't "replace" anything.
It so angers me that people without any decent finances who decide to have children are treated differently than those who already live with animals in need. People think nothing to berate those with animals, and criticize money spent on them, but having kids-well that's perfectly acceptable

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page