I want to adopt a dog. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2004, 04:08 AM
Banned

I understand there are dogs that do not cause people with allergies to have reactions. Could some one tell me what breed that is? I love dogs, but have allergies to dog dander. I found some excellent rescue site online, but I want a house dog and don't know which breed to look for. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Poodles and Labradoodles are supposedly very low dander, but they can still cause reactions in some people. I would suggest that you spend some time with several of the low dander breeds (I can't think of the others off the top of my head, sorry) and see which ones still bother you and which ones don't. Good luck finding your perfect puppy
#3 Old 08-17-2004, 04:23 AM
Banned

I don't think I want a puppy. I have no idea how to house train a dog. 2-5 years old sounds more my type, that's why I was looking a rescue shelters.

I love your sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-17-2004, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

aww

there are some hairless breeds, like the american hairless rat terrier, but they're so little and ugly... Breeds that don't shed much usually have shaggy hair (like poodles, and sheepdogs) or course rough hair (like shnauzers and some terriers). Dogs with soft fur, and short fur, tend to shed the most in my limited experience. Maybe a labradoodle would be nice. They're cute, playful, and were actually bred to serve as guide dogs for people with allergies. All dogs are going to shed a little, so you'll need to do lots of brushing and vacuuming, even vacuuming the dog, to keep the dander down as low as possible. Tell the shelter/rescue group up front that you have allergies and are looking for a dog that has low dander, and also find out what their return policy is, as you might find out quickly that it's just not going to work with a certain dog.

Good luck!

ETA: belovedtree beat me to it. ;P
#5 Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I have heard schnauzers (sp?) and dogs with "hair" rather than "fur" like malteses and yorkies cause fewer allergies. Poodles are also one I've heard mentioned.

Also, it's the dander and not actually the fur people are allergic to. So if the dog gets frequent baths it really reduces the problem. Also, there are dander-controlling dog shampoos.

Labradoodles are relatively new. I think you'd have a hard time finding one in a shelter. There was an article in the paper about them recently and breeders are asking $1500 for them. Plus I'm with you, rescuing a dog is the way to go.

Good luck!
#6 Old 08-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I almost forgot - Maybe try petfinder.com if you can't find the dog you want in your local shelter. You can search by breed, age, sex, location, etc.

As for dogs with hair versus fur, if most dogs get against my face, I get hives from them. (Otherwise, they don't bother me.) But my mom has had maltese, a yorkie and a maltese-poodle mix and these dogs could sleep next to my face and didn't bother me. So I guess maybe there's something to that.
#7 Old 08-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Wheaton Terriers, poodles and yorkies (but yorkies are very difficult to rescue.)
#8 Old 08-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe you are in Ok. Here is a Wheaton rescue in Texas http://www.wheatenrescue.org/, but if you write to them, I'm sure they can direct you. Here's one for yorkies - http://www.yorkshireterrierrescue.net/ - same thing as wheaton.
#9 Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Bichon Frises! They are adorable... And most people who are allergic to dogs are not allergic to bichons.
#10 Old 08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Yorkies have an attitude about 10x as big as their size. I them.
#11 Old 08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Some "hypoallergenic" dogs:

*Generally* good for those who suffer from allergies.

Hairless breeds:

Americal hairless terrier

Chinese crested

Others:

Bichon

Basenji

Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier

Italian greyhound

Irish Water Spaniel

Kerry Blue terrier

Bendlington Terrier

Maletese

Poodles

Schnauzers

Portugese water dogs

Some higher dander dogs that you would want to stay away from(generally) include the westies, shar peis, bassets, cockers, springer spaniels, german shepherds, irish setters, dobermans, dachshunds.
#12 Old 08-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Do not get a Labradoodle!! They don't have any brains at all. Trust me, you really really don't want one. I shudder everytime one comes in at work.

I'm really allergic to dogs. I find that short wirehaired dogs make me the most allergic. Poodles and yorkies don't seem to bother me. Maybe you could go to the shelter and play with each of the dogs for a bit. That way you can weed out the ones that you are really allergic to.

Someone mentioned baths. I find that if the dog is really stinky and hasn't been bathed in awhile, I am much more allergic to it than a clean dog.

I'm on Flonase to control my allergies. It's great. I wouldn't be able to work with animals if not for it. If you get a dog and find he/she is giving you the sniffles, you might want to ask your doctor about Flonase.
#13 Old 08-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Beginner

My dad is violently allergic to dogs and so we had no choice but to get a bichon frise. He had absolutely no problem and bichons are incredibly cute, sweet dogs. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
#14 Old 08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

and the largest bichon frise rescue claims to be in Oklahoma (again, I think that's where you're from)!! http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/
#15 Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

#16 Old 08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems like everyone has given you some great sugestions on breeds. I was going to ask you if you volunteer at a shelter? Then, you could foster a dog. Not only is it an a wonderful, rewarding experience but you could help a shelter doggie while figuring out what breeds are or are not compatable with your body.
#17 Old 08-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Banned

I have my application in to adopt a 4 year old Shih Tzu female named Amy. She's purebeed, dark brown, house trained and loves cuddling.

These people are serious. They are going to do a home visit and followups, so if I am offline for a few days, it will be because I'm cleaning, storing,etc. I am so hopeful I get her. I am here at the house alone for hours and I need a buddie.
#18 Old 08-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

!cool, I hope it works out that you can get her! you'll have to post pictures so we all can see. =)
#19 Old 08-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Banned

I can not believe this! Every adult in the home has to agree to it and I just got voted down! I have been teary ever since they told me. They don't want a dog! That does it! When Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. They will pay, you can bet your last dollar on it.
#20 Old 08-18-2004, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

aww why don't they want a dog?
#21 Old 08-18-2004, 03:04 AM
Banned

They think the dog would ruin the carpets, cost too much money for upkeep, get stepped on. Are these lame excuses or what? They can bet their sweet lives they will be doing their own laundry for a long long time.
#22 Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Banned

I got my dog. This thread can die of attrition. Guess who always plays with her? The objectors. Muaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page