Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 5 Post By NicoleMD
  • 5 Post By JoshTheKilljoy
  • 2 Post By Kiwibird08

#1 Old 05-31-2015, 04:20 PM

Bearded Dragon Vegan Diet?

I went vegan a few weeks ago and I have a bearded dragon which I have had for years. Is there anyway he could live on a vegan diet? I would really like to put him on a vegan diet but is it safe for him? Any one know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I've searched for and couldn't find any information on this topic.

I cannot say for certain. Bearded dragons are omnivorous; any I've had thrived on mostly fruit and veggies with an insect protein source once a week or so.

It's important to keep him healthy. If you can't find any relevant info on feeding him a vegan diet and it pains you to feed him animal based proteins, you might look into re-homing him.

Cat food or monkey chow, soaked and crumbled on his veggies periodically, can provide adequate protein for his omnivorous diet without it being obvious to you. (In my experience.)

If you find anything out, please share.
#3 Old 06-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

I cared for a bearded dragon when I volunteered at a reptile sanctuary, and he ate primarily fruits and vegetables with the occasional cricket or cockroach for protein, but from what I'm reading now, it seems the insects might not be necessary if your dragon's fully grown:

"Bearded Dragons are omnivorous animals, which means they naturally eat plants and insects. In captivity, they do best on a vegetarian diet. These animals need foods that are low in protein and phosphorous and high in calcium. Ideally, they should eat predominantly dark leafy greens (dandelion greens, chard, kale, mustard greens, arugula, endive, etc.). Fruit is not recommended because it is high in phosphorous and is very low in calcium. Also, insects are not recommended because they are high in protein and fat, and are generally low in calcium. Bearded Dragons love to eat insects, but they tend to grow too fast and usually become obese and have fatty liver disease. Vitamin supplements are not needed if the reptile is on a good diet. The lizards will grow slower on this diet, but they will be healthier and will live longer. Breeding Bearded Dragons do require some insects. We strongly recommend doing blood tests to make sure the animal is healthy and that the pet's blood calcium and phosphorous levels are normal."

http://www.wildwoodvet.com/petinfo/bearded.htm
mecanna and David3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes!
#5 Old 06-03-2015, 11:51 AM

No; please do not feed omnivorous reptiles a vegan diet. These lizards need a MIXTURE of vegetables, green, and insects, and while it's true that adults need less insect matter than juveniles do, they still need a meat source.

"Wildwood veterinary hospital" is the only source I can find that says you can feed them a 100% vegan diet. Every other source out there (breeders, rescuers, zoos, etc.) says they need an omnivorous diet. I have been working with animals (specifically reptiles) for years on both a professional and a private level, and I'm vegetarian myself, but I would NEVER deny an animal meat that needs it in its diet. Additionally, cat food/monkey chow usually has high levels of grain, which is not good for lizards. Their protein source should only be insects (occasional baby mice are fine too, but I doubt you want to do that), not any sort of pelleted food.

If you can't feed your beardie insects, please rehome it. Thanks.
#6 Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleMD View Post
No; please do not feed omnivorous reptiles a vegan diet. These lizards need a MIXTURE of vegetables, green, and insects, and while it's true that adults need less insect matter than juveniles do, they still need a meat source.

"Wildwood veterinary hospital" is the only source I can find that says you can feed them a 100% vegan diet. Every other source out there (breeders, rescuers, zoos, etc.) says they need an omnivorous diet. I have been working with animals (specifically reptiles) for years on both a professional and a private level, and I'm vegetarian myself, but I would NEVER deny an animal meat that needs it in its diet. Additionally, cat food/monkey chow usually has high levels of grain, which is not good for lizards. Their protein source should only be insects (occasional baby mice are fine too, but I doubt you want to do that), not any sort of pelleted food.

I would never give up my lizard because he is part of my family so I will just have to deal with feeding him insect. Thanks for the help though. Much appreciated.
#7 Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleMD View Post

Thanks for this information!
#8 Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
No flesh since 99'

I missed this thread when it was posted, but I had a bearded dragon (rescue), and currently have a newt (also a rescue) and leopard gecko (my childhood pet who's been very long-lived!). For anyone reading this thread, these animals require a diet that has insects (and for adult beardies and other large omnivorous reptiles, they also should have the occasional pinky mouse too, which is a good source of many nutrients, including calcium). Many reptiles are insectivores or omnivores and aren't necessarily vegan-friendly pets. It is not fair to try to feed them an unnatural diet and will likely lead to nutritional-related diseases and shortened lifespan. Many people do not realize that reptiles can have very long lifespans when properly cared for! Improper diet contributes to a perception they only live a 'few years', when in reality many can live well over 20 years.

My beardie lived to about 13 y/o (a full lifespan for her species), my leopard gecko is almost 20 and I've had the newt for 7 years (both the leo and newt have 25-30 year lifespans). All 3 receive/d naturally collected 'wild' bugs along with gut-loaded crickets (beardie and leo), worms (all 3), pinky mouse (beardie, when she was alive, my leo never got big enough to eat them he's kind of a runt) and fresh fruit/veg (beardie when she was alive). Those are the kinds of things these reptiles eat. Also, hunting live prey is very important for mental stimulation and exercise in these animals. I can't say I will ever take in another pet that would not thrive on a vegan diet, but the 2 I still have will continue receiving a healthy, natural diet for their species until they pass (hopeful after living a long, healthy, full lifespan).

I believe that iguanas and chuckwallas are both large lizards that thrive on a vegan diet, if you are interested in a reptile that does not need live prey.
Scorpius and mecanna like this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 06-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page