Yucky-My Puppy Eats Poopy!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this is a nasty topic and question, but I am sincerely concerned. Why is he eating this? I find him outside eating the chickens and occassionally the cats. Ugh! This makes me sick-how can I stop him and why is he doing it? Will it hurt him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2004, 11:24 AM

I thought all dogs did that.

It's one of the reasons I don't like dogs.
#3 Old 07-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I didnt know all dogs did that! This is really the first one I have had since I was a child. EEEEWWWW!!! Then he wants to come and lick us in the face-no way jose!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2004, 11:36 AM

no, not all dogs do.

My vet gave me a tip but I never got the chance to try it. She said sprinkle the dry food with a little water and then some Adolf's Meat Tenderizer. If you feed puppy wet food skip the sprinkling water part. She said it does something to the taste buds where the next time puppy wants poop soup it doesn't taste appealing.
#5 Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

My dogs will eat excrement from anything but themselves, horses, rabbits, cats, deer, you name it. Haven't figured out how to stop the little turd burglars.
#6 Old 07-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

meat tenderizer-wow that seems simple. can't hurt to try it.
#7 Old 07-07-2004, 12:04 PM

Yep, I keep a baby gate in the bathroom doorway to keep the dogs out of the cat litter box. My dog Honey used to come running up to me, grinning (yes, she smiles) with cat litter caked all over her nose & mouth. YUCK!
#8 Old 07-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

no, not all dogs do.

My vet gave me a tip but I never got the chance to try it. She said sprinkle the dry food with a little water and then some Adolf's Meat Tenderizer. If you feed puppy wet food skip the sprinkling water part. She said it does something to the taste buds where the next time puppy wants poop soup it doesn't taste appealing.

Yup-!..That's the scoop...on the ummm....poop. That's what we always told folks to do, and it worked. Problem with other animals is that their feces are usually very high in protien, and smell like a food source...so they'll eat it. You can condition train by verbal corrections...buttttt.... Once a poop-eater, you know the rest.. Try to keep animal dung out of the yard..Police it often, and make sure your pet is already getting a high quality pet feed, and not some Ol' Roy stuff made with feathers an other undigestable protiens.. Might help. I go with Science Diet...but sometimes those chicken poops are too hard to resist..I'm ummmm told. T.
#9 Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

you are too funny T. We use puppychow-is this good enough?
#10 Old 07-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Every dog we ever had in our family loved to roll in poop, mostly deer poop. On occasion, I'd catch one of them eating cat or dog poop. I think it's because it sort of tastes like the food it once was....um, I'm feeling ill now..
#11 Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 PM

More poop scoops ..hehehe, couldn't resist.
#12 Old 07-07-2004, 02:21 PM

Just wait until the puppy vomits some of the poop he's eaten, probably on the carpet.
#13 Old 07-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Greyhound parents with this problem swear by adding some green beans to the dogs diet--don't know if fufills something they're missing, or flavors it in an unpleasant way, but it can't hurt to try.
#14 Old 07-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

there is some stuff you can get from your vet called forbid. you mix it with their food. It works preatty well. I had a poop eating dog we used to say he was recycling. anyway good luck.
#15 Old 07-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

here is an online site that sells Forbidhttp://www.arcatapet.com/forbid.cfm
#16 Old 07-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread title made me laugh really hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetashoney View Post

I find him outside eating the chickens and occassionally the cats. Ugh!

I'm assuming you mean the chickens' and cats', right?
#17 Old 07-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm told if a dog eats his own poop, his diet is suffering.

Might want to check the dog food you are feeding it.
#18 Old 07-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as I know, poop eating is completely natural. Some dogs will do it, some won't. Yeah it's gross and I certainly don't want any kisses from poop eaters, but I don't think it's all that big a deal.

As we say at work "maybe they just want a hot meal on a cold day."
#19 Old 07-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how vegan you are, but apparently it's because the dog lacks a nutrient in it's diet (maybe iron?) and if you give them liver, they'll stop. I used to do this and it worked, but after I starting feeling guilty about buying them beef liver, I stopped. Now I have to extra diligent in cleaning up the yard!
#20 Old 07-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

you guys are hilarious!! Where is the :rolf smilie when I need it?

I buy my dog regular puppy chow for small dogs. Does anyone know if this is a bad brand? I checked all the vitamins & ingredients before buying it.

I thought it was good. -maybe there is something I don't know about this brand of dog food.
#21 Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Beginner

Does the dog food have a name, like Purina, or Natural Choice? If it is a no name brand or just a store brand, then it is probably not very nutrional. The best diets are the veterinary kinds, but those can be expensive. I use Natural Choice.

My dog sometimes eat poop. We don't have cats, or any thing that she has access to, so it's not a very common problem.

However, she likes to roll in our horse's poop. Most dogs will roll in poo because it makes them smell like their prey. (I don't know where they get the idea that horse is a prey). It might also be just because they like the smell.
#22 Old 07-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I assume when you say "Puppy Chow" that you're talking about Purina Puppy Chow. It's okay, but it's towards the lower end quality wise. I would suggest Nutro puppy food.

If you're dog is eating it's own poop then it's probably a sign that it's not getting the nutrients that it needs. But it sounds like your dog is eating other animals' poop (not it's own), and that's not usually a sign lacking nutrients (correct me if I'm wrong). It's just the smell and salty taste that they find attractive. My dogs are trained to stay out of my cat's bedrooms for that reason. To train them I would sit in the cat's room with a squirt gun and when they took a step inside the room they got wet and were told "No." Now they just look in the room but they won't go in. That won't help with the chicken poop though since that's available in the yard. Adding the meat tenderizer or other recommended products to their food might help. //
#23 Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 PM

Yeah, occasionally my dog will fetch a tootsie roll from the cat box. I find she does it out of stress, like eating grass. My dog has some digestive issues (she's pretty high strung, having been born feral), so we feed her easy to digest food, and that seems to help (most of the time).

The Rev
#24 Old 07-14-2004, 05:36 AM

My dog will eat other dogs' poop and the ducks' poop (we have a lake behind our house). She's a beagle and gets into everything!!
#25 Old 07-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

My dog eats my cats poop all the time. I might have to try some ideas also.
#26 Old 07-15-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningStarr View Post

My dog eats my cats poop all the time. I might have to try some ideas also.

You could get some rubber poop from a novelty shop, and stick it in the cat box along with the real stuff. When he pulls out the impossible to chew piece, it might just freak him out bad enough to stop going in there for snacks....

It's an idea.

The Rev
#27 Old 07-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetashoney View Post

you guys are hilarious!! Where is the :rolf smilie when I need it?

I buy my dog regular puppy chow for small dogs. Does anyone know if this is a bad brand? I checked all the vitamins & ingredients before buying it.

I thought it was good. -maybe there is something I don't know about this brand of dog food.

Hey - I did a lot of research on dog foods before I decided to go with "Wellness". Of course, the site that I used as a bible is no longer available I'm a big believer when it comes to dog food that you get what you pay for. You'll make up the extra money with fewer vet bills!

From what I remember here are a few things to look for:

- the first ingredient listed. That's the main ingredient in the food. So if it's a grain or corn, that it's very low quality.

- Human grade or not. Human grade means that they do not use animal byproducts.

- if they use artificial preservatives (which are sometimes linked to cancer) that's not too good either.

I couldn't find a listing of Purina's PC ingredients on their site. But I looked at some reviews and they say the first ingredient is corn. It would be better if it started out with a protein.

I tried to reach a compromise between being a veggie and feeding my dogs dead animals. So I give them Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato. The list of ingredients start with white fish. Here's more info:

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs...gSup5MixSwtPot

Here's a link to some articles on buying dog food: http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/011.html

Innova is another good one. And don't buy Iams - they animal test.
#28 Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

You could get some rubber poop from a novelty shop, and stick it in the cat box along with the real stuff. When he pulls out the impossible to chew piece, it might just freak him out bad enough to stop going in there for snacks....

It's an idea.

The Rev

You can also get bitter apple spray to spray the regular cat poop with. It works for some dogs but not for others.
#29 Old 07-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash View Post

Yup-!..That's the scoop...on the ummm....poop.

That was good!

I know,Im wierd....

VM
#30 Old 07-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Every dog I have ever had did this. They grew out of it though. The first time I saw that, was the last time I let a dog lick my face!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page