Yucky-My Puppy Eats Poopy!!! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-15-2004, 01:53 PM

My dog, Belle, gives new meaning to the term "s*&%head". She's been a poop muncher since she was a puppy. Eating her own has curbed off, but she still loves to go snacking in the kitty box. One night not too long ago she crawled into bed with me and I smelled something nasty. Turns out it was the side of her face and breath that smelled, well....you know. At 1:00 am I was forced to get out of bed, scoop up Belle (she's a chihuahua) and take her into the bathroom to wash her face and, yes, brush her teeth! Ewww!

We tried "forbid" when she was a puppy. The vet said to put 1/8 of a tsp in her food. Yeah, right. I dosed her with a whole packet and it still didn't work! I cracked up when the vet told me "put this in her food, it will make her poop taste nasty." I looked at her and with a straight face replied, "As opposed to how delicious it must taste now?" She thought a moment and we both burst out laughing.

I don't feel so bad though. Dr. Rose said her own dog very often comes running into a room with her nose covered in kitty litter. She looks at her own dog and asks her "What have you been doing?". If she can't get her own dog to stop, oh well with trying to get Belle to give it up.

Bottom line....it's gross but it won't kill them.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I was lying on the couch watching tv one night and one of my dogs burped in my face. Smelled just like the cats' litter box. Dogs do seem to love kitty poop for some reason. I read once it was the protein.
#33 Old 09-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Wild dogs eat the intestines of animals they bring down. Since many of the prey animals are herbivores, or at least omnivores they are getting some partially digested plant and sometimes other) stuff there that they are not getting anywhere else. I also read somewhere once that the beneficial bacteria in the feces of other animals helps keep thier levels where they are supposed to be. I can't remember where I read that but it is a possiblity to look into.

Sunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Beginner

My mothers dog does this and she feeds em' Ol' Roy? (sp) I think it's a cheaper brand.. Our 2 dogs (and the one fost we have) do not do this... We had been feeding them Iams forever but now boycotting them... We feed them Purina? (big yellow bag) and they still don't do it...

I have heard over and over (but never asked a vet) that this is caused by lack of something in the diet... So I would ask your vet icky!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page